Problems with Pinterest

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Problems with Pinterest

Post by FranTastic444 »

I've been using Pinterest for a while now for skirting inspiration and also other topics I'm interested in (cars, art etc.)

Out of the blue I got a couple of emails saying that pins had been deleted -
We're getting in touch to let you know we received a copyright complaint and have removed one (or more) of your Pins.The complaint wasn't directed against you or your Pin; it was directed against another user's Pin of the same content from:

While many copyright owners are happy to have their content on Pinterest, we recognize that some do not want their content to appear on Pinterest, or did not receive attribution for the content. When a copyright owner sends us a complete notice per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), it’s our policy to remove the Pin(s).

Again, this complaint was not directed at you, or anything you did: we just thought you'd like to know why we removed your Pin.
Then, a day or two later I tried to log into my account but was told that it had been suspended. The note on the login page suggests that I would have been emailed with the reasoning behind the suspension, but I've received no such communication.

I've gone through their appeal process and I must have tried sending their support team messages on at least half a dozen occasions. I even supplied an additional email address in case my GMAIL account was blocking content. My account is still suspended and Pinterest Support have not replied to any of my dealings with them.

Anyone experienced this who can shed some light on the situation? Anything I can do to resurrect the account, or has it gone the way of the Dodo???
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Problems with Pinterest

Post by Sinned »

I have no problem with Pinterest - I never go to it because of its insistence of a login after a few second#s viewing. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Pinterest has very limited use. Pretty pictures, nothing more.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

FranTastic444 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:20 pm I've been using Pinterest for a while now for skirting inspiration and also other topics I'm interested in (cars, art etc.)

Out of the blue I got a couple of emails saying that pins had been deleted -
We're getting in touch to let you know we received a copyright complaint and have removed one (or more) of your Pins.The complaint wasn't directed against you or your Pin; it was directed against another user's Pin of the same content from:

While many copyright owners are happy to have their content on Pinterest, we recognize that some do not want their content to appear on Pinterest, or did not receive attribution for the content. When a copyright owner sends us a complete notice per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), it’s our policy to remove the Pin(s).

Again, this complaint was not directed at you, or anything you did: we just thought you'd like to know why we removed your Pin.
Then, a day or two later I tried to log into my account but was told that it had been suspended. The note on the login page suggests that I would have been emailed with the reasoning behind the suspension, but I've received no such communication.

I've gone through their appeal process and I must have tried sending their support team messages on at least half a dozen occasions. I even supplied an additional email address in case my GMAIL account was blocking content. My account is still suspended and Pinterest Support have not replied to any of my dealings with them.

Anyone experienced this who can shed some light on the situation? Anything I can do to resurrect the account, or has it gone the way of the Dodo???
I have had a couple of my pins deleted based on Copyright claims, didn't really bother to investigate.
In today's world you can get an account suspected to deleted for just about anything. I would just create a new account and move on.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

phathack wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:07 am I have had a couple of my pins deleted based on Copyright claims, didn't really bother to investigate.
In today's world you can get an account suspected to deleted for just about anything. I would just create a new account and move on.
Yeah, don't I know it :D

Annoying really, as I'd started to use it as a repository for a bunch of other things, not just skirting related. I'd collected a load of articles / sites I wanted to read sometime. Lesson learned - do it the old fashioned way and make a note of the URL.

All of my boards were private and I wasn't a rootin' around for anything risque so I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why the rug was suddenly pulled from under my feet without explanation or recourse.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I come across something that I want to read later I just copy it to notepad and save any pictures. That way I have it on my computer and it is easier to find and read. And no one can delete them but me after I have read them or save them to an archive folder.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Well, my Pinterest account is back.

Reading again through my email history, I got a couple of notifications about pins being removed because of copyright information. It turns out that in both cases they were articles I'd saved for later relating to exercise (one yoga, one a home-workout for toned arm :oops: ). It stated in these notifications that I'd done nothing wrong and they were just letting me know that pins had been removed because of a copyright claim.

Imagine my surprise then when I get an email this morning telling me that my account has been reactivated so that I can clean it up of sexually explicit content!!!!!

Not sure what the offending content was, so I've gone through and taken a look at everything and I've found it difficult to decide where to draw the line. Is that cosplay outfit ok? What about a woman in tights with a short skirt? The Daily Mail article about Chris Evans (British dj / tv presenter / general sleb) being seen out with his son wearing a dress? Tim Curry in Rocky Horror garb??? Gwyneth Paltrow on a bike with her butt pointing towards the camera???

I've certainly not pinned anything that I think of as in any way sexually explicit. Let's see if my pruning of content is enough to keep my account active.....
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Once in a blue moon I'll get a demand to remove links from Skirt Cafe, and I usually comply. Hilariously, some of those have been from places that sell skirts. However, who am I to control what others think, even if the removal of the link removed one avenue of access to what might become a sale. I laugh about those.

Pinterest could be problematic because of the nature of imagery, and that may be what the kerfuffle is about. Links and references to articles implicitly carry attributions, so those really shouldn't matter. Generally speaking, if something is interesting enough for me to bookmark I'll just download it and save it off to the side, unless it's dynamic (e.g. some interesting web-cams or weather data).

In any event the DMCA (Disney Millennium Copyright Act) is an abomination that needs to be repealed, but that'll never happen in the current regime (and in that I'm not referring to whomever dwells st 1600 Pennsylvania Ave in DC).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!