Health Concerns & Costs

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Health Concerns & Costs

Post by Faldaguy »

by Sinned » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:11 am

Faldaguy, I'd never heard of perseveration before. Interesting.
Google it, you'll get more than you want. Here is a link to one short response. The 'trick' is that the responder (you and I) get caught up in looking for the logic, or trying defeat it, or worry that it is a cry for help -- and sometimes it is so be cautious, but often it is just a readjustment in the brain pattern that needs sorting out and for us to try to deal with it logically does not work for either party.

In my experience, after a polite acknowledgement and soothing line, moving to another topic or activity is best, as it helps shift the patient from the anxiety being expressed to something more positive. But, It is not easy to suspend logic or polite habits. In my mother's case, there are still times seven years later where it arises -- almost predictably around certain events, so it can be a long haul.

https://synapse.org.au/fact-sheet/perse ... epetition/
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Uncle Al » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm
Now for some GOOD NEWS! :D

Just received word that the insurance has approved-FINALLY-the skilled nursing facility for
my wife. She will be transferred later today. The facility is about 1/2 mile from the Rehab
Hospital. Skilled nursing facilities are on lock-down as well, due the Corona Virus Pandemic.
The approval is for 7 days and is renewable. :D
Uncle Al,
I've not seen a post from you in a while from home front; been concerned, especially now with the triple challenge of stroke, covid, and storms threatening your region. Prayers remain and hoping all is going as well as possible. May the renewal messages of this holiday be with you.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi there :D

Well, the "storms" have moved through our area. The states east of us are in
for a terrible night and following day. Yet, the bright spot was when a new
Facebook friend, the head dietician at the skilled nursing and rehab center,
called me on Messenger. I had a good video call with my wife. She seemed
in much better spirits. Her speech has greatly improved. She even instigated
conversation, not just responding to my comments. She starts going to the
therapy room on Monday, as she is no longer in quarantine. I stayed home
all day today. Didn't have to go anywhere. Yesterday, I finished the wood
shelving in our new 10' X 12' metal storage building. Will move stuff from the
garage into the building so I can get the 'other stuff' from the 2nd bedroom
moved into the garage. Only the non-important stuff will go to the storage
building. The things my wife inherited will be in the garage. If I need to,
the bed will go into the garage. The mattress and box springs have been barely
used. The bed frame, wood spindle, was my grandmothers bed frame. My mom
inherited it from her mom. The movement of the bed may be required if I have
to get a hospital bed for my wife. This is yet to be determined. Also, looking
at the possibility of getting a handicap vehicle. This would include a wheelchair
ramp. Again, I don''t know what will be required as this is all new territory
being explored. :|

That's all for now, so, everyone stay safe and don't get too board with the
restrictions of CoVID-19.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Thanks Unc, nice to hear a bit of positive news for you.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Excellent news, Al. I'm very glad to hear it!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Very good news on the home front from you on your wifes progress. :D :D

As for the storms they hit here last night with some damage to property. Have not heard if any injuries or deaths yet. Tornadoes, heavy lightning, strong straight line winds and of course lots of rain. I got back to bed this morning at about 7AM. Power was going on and off so I could not use my CPAP mask to breath while I was a sleep. So no sleep!! :( :(
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:dance: My wife is coming home May 1st, 2020 - YAY :dance:

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

That is good news. I'm glad you will be together under your own roof. Back to more or less normal. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:19 pm :dance: My wife is coming home May 1st, 2020 - YAY :dance:

Uncle Al
That's awesome to hear!
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

TO FRED: They make battery power for CPAP devices that could save your life. I also suggest a small generator. They are small and quiet and a full tank of gas will last eight hours. I have a Honda which are very good but they also have good ones for a lot less at Harbor Feeight Tools. I got mine for a bargain discount from a tractor dealer.

I have two generators and can operate our refrigerator and freezer and two room air conditioners. We live in the desert and air conditioning is life support. It is more than a convenience.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

^This. We have a 5500 watt generator that pretty much can run the whole house when the power goes out. We can't run the microwave with multiple items also being on, nor can we use the dryer which uses 5600 watts, but, we're usually not without power for more than a few days where I live. Another option would be solar and a battery bank. Not as cheap as a generator, obviously, but, silent in operation, and no need to fill up a gas can to keep on hand. On YouTube, there's a user by the name of Bus Grease Monkey who has been doing solar for a while. Granted, his solar setup is on a bus, but same idea.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Fred, H in Skirts is correct about the battery operated CPAP's. Most these days do not take a lot of juice. I kept mine going years ago on camping trips just using a small inverter with alligator clips on my small car battery.

Not perfect, but get off your back and sleep on your side if the power goes out, or even your stomach so the airway has less tendency to close.

The back up generators or solar systems are great, but more dollars-- but a freezer full of food saved is worth something too!

Breathe well!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Thanks to all for your suggestions and input. I have been checking out my C-Pap Machine and found it has a 12 volt socket already built in for a back up power source. Now to check the Internet for the manufacturer of the machine and find out if they make the back up or what they recommend. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

That's excellent news UA. I hope that she makes a full recovery with minimal effects of the stroke. Not long to go now..🥰
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Re: Health Concerns & Costs - UPDATE

Post by Uncle Al »

OK, where to begin........My wife came home on May 1st. The home health care
people took 2 weeks to get the hospital bed, and all of its parts, to me. They
would not set up the bed due Covid-19. I finally got the room fixed up for my wife.
The last rehab she was at kept her in quarantine for 14 days - again Covid-19. She lost
all that she had gained at the 1st rehab hospital. Something started to go south on
us as she seamed to lose her thoughts and speaking ability.

On Saturday, June 6th, I was feeding her oatmeal for breakfast. She took 4 bites, gave
me that 'deer-in-the-headlights' look then spewed forth a greenish-blackish liquid. It was
so bad that I had to change her, the bed and my own clothing. Called the hospice/pallative
care people. The nurse arrived 45 minutes later, as she lives on the north-east side of
Dallas. We're on the south-west side of Dallas. She examined my wife, called for X-Ray techs
to come to the house. As of last Sunday evening, she was taken by ambulance to the ER.

Now, she is in ICU at the hospital. Her right kidney drain tube had a blockage. The doctors
inserted a temporary drain, and quite a bit of infection was removed. She has been intubated
and been on dialysis. Her kidneys have recovered and she is off dialysis. Next step is to find
the lower bowel blockage.

One of the tests done in the ER was for the Covid-19 - - She's negative :!:

I'm not allowed to visit her in the hospital, due strict protocals of Covid-19. I do get phone calls
from the hospital staff, on her condition. So far, no news = good news ;)

Have to call the insurance company - AGAIN as they still haven't paid for the equipment being
used at home. :wall:

My allergies woke me up this morning, as my nose was running like a leaky faucet. I'm starting
to get some rest. Last weekend, I existed on 6 hours of sleep from Friday morning through Sunday night.
Lack of sleep is a real "pain-in-the-chair" :twisted: I thought I was turning into Oscar-the-Grouch ;)

:| Maybe I can go back to sleep now :please: 😪 💤 😪 💤 😪 💤 😪 💤

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician