If I was a gambling man...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: If I was a gambling man...

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:
seen saw.jpg
Maybe what is being conveyed here is OBSCENE rather than see saw seen - - -
Something about this one common (English) language we speak hear respond to - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

pelmut wrote:In a 'write-once-read-many' situation, such as a forum, the person posting the message should be prepared take extra trouble to make their meaning as clear as possible so that the many people reading it don't have to (collectively) waste a lot of time trying to work out what it was supposed to mean.  In a one-to-one situation it may not matter as much, but when posting to a group, clarity and ease of reading are important, so the rules of punctuation and grammar need to be followed.

We're not in High School anymore. Grammer and punctuation shouldn't matter on an online forum. If things are going to result in the Grammer police correcting everything someone post then we shouldn't even post on the forums. It's completely pointless and annoying for everyone to go and correct someone else's grammer.It's extremely rude and offensive doing that so please stop.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JennC03 wrote:We're not in High School anymore.
Indeed, but writers should [0] do their level best to communicate succinctly and accurately. It just makes things clearer for the reader -- and, face it, the Internet is a written medium, or at least everything that's textual is.

The occasional gaffe is OK because everybody commits them, this writer included. However, grammar and punctuation are important "lubricants" in the world of text. Am I out of line if I point up a post that has caused me problems with comprehension? (Recall that I read each and every post here, so I am in bit of a position to be exposed to the raw pain of horrendous composition and typesetting.)

[0] "Should" in this case is used according to the defining documents of the Internet, the RFCs (Requests For Comments). See RFC 2119 for the gory detals.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote: I cannot speak for the interpretative abilities of the British, but, here, no one would have difficulty discerning meaning between “I was” and “I were.” Did you?
I think you missed my previous reply to that question
No, I only commented on it because Dillon seemed surprised there hadn't been a flame war -- so I thought I would pretend to start one.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jenn, I can get a bit fussy about good grammar but I don't think that we go too overboard about it here. I see many spelling mistokes and incorrect grammar on the site but don't pick the poster up on it. Even Carl commits them and I think that he has as high a regard for good grammar and punctuation as many others of us here. But as Carl says our posts are mostly text based and suffers from the inability to express tones of voice and non-verbal communications and hence can easily be misinterpreted even when text and grammar are correct. So we should at least make an effort to communicate in the best possible way. I would actually say that the standards are much higher on this site than many that I have come across. I sigh when I see misspelling and bad grammar even on television and in the papers. And BTW I make many errors when typing which is why you'll often see more than one post post edit on my posts, if you understand me. Lack of good grammar isn't necessarily a sign of lack of education or intelligence as anyone who knows a dyslexic will understand. Maybe it's just a lack of attention due to being rushed or the late hour or just being distracted. Don't get your knickers in a twist about it Jenn, you're better than that.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As far as Grammy is concerned she said do your best at what you do and try to do better.

I used to be a great speller!! Now if it weren't for "Spelchec" I would be out of luck.

If your grammar is not great do the best you can with what you were taught and where you were brought up. I don't climb on anyone for their grammar or their spelling, for one it is not my place to do so and two It can damage relationships.

Just my .02 cents worth, take it for what that is worth these days.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

pelmut wrote:
dillon wrote: I cannot speak for the interpretative abilities of the British, but, here, no one would have difficulty discerning meaning between “I was” and “I were.” Did you?
I think you missed my previous reply to that question
No, I only commented on it because Dillon seemed surprised there hadn't been a flame war -- so I thought I would pretend to start one.
Congratulations. You succeeded.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...