50 years ago...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

50 years ago...

Post by Ray »

Humans first set foot on the moon. I still find it astonishing, after all this time, that we managed to do it. First and foremost, all credit has to go to the 400,000 men and women of NASA and of the United States who managed to take the dream of JFK and make it real in the allotted time. It was, and remains, an achievement which takes my breath away, and which makes me emotional everytime I see the repeat of the video of the landing. I am lucky enough to have met one of the men who walked on the moon, and it is a meeting I treasure. For a short while, we were all brought together. It is so sad that we did not take that spirit and ideal, and take it forward.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 50 years ago...

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, that's fine. But, as much as I love space related programmes and we do need to celebrate such a momentous occasion, I'm getting a little fed up of every other programme being about the Apollo missions, especially number 11. I'll be glad when it's all over.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

some 50 years ago:
https://www.vintag.es/2018/05/60s-mini- ... r-men.html
maybe that needs a celebration also.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Gusto10 wrote:some 50 years ago:
https://www.vintag.es/2018/05/60s-mini- ... r-men.html
maybe that needs a celebration also.
We wouldn't be celebrating if the the Apollo 11 didn't take off :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The space program has been a source of American pride for me since I was a child and it continues to do so. I love the idea of space exploration, I love the thought of endless possibilities and learning.

We stopped by the Kennedy Space Center on our way down to southern Florida last week. Though we couldn't stay long, I'd like to return when there is more time. The air was hazy over the ocean, but I could see the facility off in the distance and I found it to be awe inspiring.

I also fancied the license plate that my car (Jax) boasted as I parked the vehicle:
jax_01.JPG
Though I admit the tag wasn't selected for that message. I've had the tag since 2012 and was the plate I used while I ran my repair business "Lunar Services", which depending on who I was talking to was either a) named for the moon goddess, or b) named because the business started with my residential "moon lighting" on the side.

But last week....

Last week it was all about the space program buddy! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:We stopped by the Kennedy Space Center on our way down to southern Florida last week. Though we couldn't stay long, I'd like to return when there is more time. The air was hazy over the ocean, but I could see the facility off in the distance and I found it to be awe inspiring.
You got a bit afield of Appalachia on that trip! Well done.

Back in 2003, my late ex- and I vacationed in Satellite Beach, FL which is several miles south of the Kennedy Space Center and which we visited and took a tour thereof. Here are some largely uncurated shots of which I have in my kitchen. We also were privileged to witness Shuttle Columbia's last launch as seen from Jetty Park near Port Canaveral. As history notes, the launch was a success, but the orbiter was badly damaged during it and broke up on re-entry. We watched that with great sadness on the telly after arriving home.
I also fancied the license plate that my car (Jax) boasted as I parked the vehicle:
Nice plate, and very apropos.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!