What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby Fred in Skirts » Sun May 19, 2019 5:45 pm

Note reference to the "Main Stream Media"...72 years ago!!️
What is meant by the modern term referred to as "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"...The definition is found in 4 telegrams at the Truman Library and Museum in Independence, Missouri.


The following are copies of four telegrams between President Harry Truman and General Douglas MacArthur on the day before the actual signing of the WWII Surrender Agreement in September 1945.


The contents of those four telegrams below are exactly as received at the end of the war - not a word has been added or deleted!


(1) Tokyo,
Japan 0800-September 1,1945


To: President Harry S Truman
From: General D A MacArthur


Tomorrow we meet with those yellow-bellied bastards and sign the Surrender Documents, any last minute instructions?


(2) Washington,
D C 1300-September 1, 1945


To: D A MacArthur
From: H S TrumanCongratulations, job well done, but you must tone down your obvious dislike of the Japanese when discussing the terms of the surrender with the press, because some of your remarks are fundamentally not politically correct!


(3) Tokyo,
Japan 1630-September 1, 1945


To: H S Truman
From: D A MacArthur and C H Nimitz
Wilco Sir, but both Chester and I are somewhat confused, exactly what does the term politically correct mean?


(4) Washington,
D C 2120-September 1, 1945


To: D A MacArthur/C H Nimitz
From: H S Truman
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end!



Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what 'POLITICAL CORRECTNESS' really means.....
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby moonshadow » Sun May 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Fred in Skirts wrote:From: H S Truman
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end!


Wisdom is using a glove.... :mrgreen:
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby Ralph » Sun May 19, 2019 8:45 pm

I hate to play the Snopes card here, but... no, those are modern sentiments artificially placed in the mouth (or telegrams) of dead people.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-truman-faux/

Crossing my fingers and praying we don't have a "Snopes is a paid propaganda wing for George Soros" conspiracy rant, but if you're so inclined to do so, at least read their references. They explain why it can be proven, as much as you can prove a negative, that those aren't Truman's words. The phrasing, use of neologisms like "mainstream media", punctuation that was never used in telegrams, etc. all scream of someone unfamiliar with writing style of the early 20th century.

The problem with "political correctness" is that it means all things to all people. To some (primarily on the left), it's a good thing, meaning that we should speak respectfully to and about all people -- even our enemies. With that definition of "politically correct" we would not use inherently derogatory words to describe someone's race, sex, nationality, physical abilities or lack thereof, intelligence, etc. I don't understand why people kick against such things; Christ himself urged us to treat even our enemies with respect.

But to others (primarily on the right), the phrase means something far more sinister. It evokes a world of Orwellian newspeak where we are not allowed to mention another's race, nationality, religion, physical characteristics, etc. for fear of offending the most hopelessly sensitive generation ever. It's not just a request for voluntary civility, but a government mandate clamping down on our First Amendment rights. A world where every demographic is a protected class except white Christian males, who are fair game.

Yes, some people go out of their way to take offense at the most innocuous comment. And yes, some people can't understand why mocking another person for being different is bad. So my suggestion is we at least make a conscious effort not to be deliberately hostile, AND not be so quick to assume every word is intended as an insult.
Ralph!
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby moonshadow » Sun May 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Ralph, how dare you contaminate the internet with facts and reason!

:P :lol:

All in good fun Fred, you know we love you! :)
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby Fred in Skirts » Sun May 19, 2019 11:06 pm

moonshadow wrote:Ralph, how dare you contaminate the internet with facts and reason!

:P :lol:

All in good fun Fred, you know we love you! :)

Of course you do it is mandated by the left and considered a moral obligation by the right. :hide: :rofl: :rofl:

I however have no need for either side as I am a moral degenerate and a rogue in all things political... :thumleft: :thumbdown: :thumright:
Last edited by Fred in Skirts on Mon May 20, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby crfriend » Sun May 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Fred in Skirts wrote:I however have no need for either side as I am a moral degenerate and a rogue in all things ploitical... :thumleft: :thumbdown: :thumright:

No on one, yes on two, and bravo. Your writing shows that up pretty plainly.

Framing anything in the former merely plays into the hands of those who would control you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby dillon » Mon May 20, 2019 12:29 am

Ralph wrote:I hate to play the Snopes card here, but... no, those are modern sentiments artificially placed in the mouth (or telegrams) of dead people.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-truman-faux/

Crossing my fingers and praying we don't have a "Snopes is a paid propaganda wing for George Soros" conspiracy rant, but if you're so inclined to do so, at least read their references. They explain why it can be proven, as much as you can prove a negative, that those aren't Truman's words. The phrasing, use of neologisms like "mainstream media", punctuation that was never used in telegrams, etc. all scream of someone unfamiliar with writing style of the early 20th century.

The problem with "political correctness" is that it means all things to all people. To some (primarily on the left), it's a good thing, meaning that we should speak respectfully to and about all people -- even our enemies. With that definition of "politically correct" we would not use inherently derogatory words to describe someone's race, sex, nationality, physical abilities or lack thereof, intelligence, etc. I don't understand why people kick against such things; Christ himself urged us to treat even our enemies with respect.

But to others (primarily on the right), the phrase means something far more sinister. It evokes a world of Orwellian newspeak where we are not allowed to mention another's race, nationality, religion, physical characteristics, etc. for fear of offending the most hopelessly sensitive generation ever. It's not just a request for voluntary civility, but a government mandate clamping down on our First Amendment rights. A world where every demographic is a protected class except white Christian males, who are fair game.

Yes, some people go out of their way to take offense at the most innocuous comment. And yes, some people can't understand why mocking another person for being different is bad. So my suggestion is we at least make a conscious effort not to be deliberately hostile, AND not be so quick to assume every word is intended as an insult.


You beat me to the punch, Ralph. This little piece of fake creativity has been around since before the term Social Media was coined. It was once circulated via email.

While I appreciate your resentment of being resented for the ledger of beliefs associated with your race, age, sex, and class - which shouldn’t ever happen to anyone, period - the fact is that belief expectations are ingrained in our society and every society. So, I’d just reflect that PC has long had unquestioned equivalents on on the broader right-wing of the equation, applied in subtle but unambiguous and unmistakably clear ways.

Take that as gospel from an old guy from the rural South who had to conceal his beliefs and stymie his self-expression his whole working life in order to be able to practice his profession among a client base who couldn’t and wouldn’t deign examine their own beliefs. Try that for 36 years. I hardly think anyone whose gripe is simply resenting attitudes purveyed in a constantly evolving media climate really has too much room for complaint; time, after all, doesn’t stand still to indulge our resistance to change, no matter what we wish. So, for me, retirement was liberating.

Occasionally one of my former clients encounters the skirted me. And while I know that these old, white, conservative, evangelical farmers will gossip about me in their communities, making assumptions and applying labels in ignorance, I also know they will remember the professionalism with which I assisted them - the problem-solving, the interpretation of report data, the costs I saved them, the money that stayed in their pockets instead of going to a chemical or fertilizer dealer, the seminars I presented, the detailed reports and recommendations I wrote that got them out of trouble with environmental inspectors. The sad part is that I could never have done any of that for them if they had known the WHOLE me, the man-in-a-skirt me, because I would have been shut out for reasons that had nothing to do with my abilities and skills.

So while I don’t condone PC or it’s societally-entrenched conservative equivalents, you fellows of the right wing will have to forgive me for not crying in my beer over your hurt feelings of rejection by progressive media. I’ve spent my best years on the flip-side of that record and have danced to that tune as long as I can stand. Now I’ve put my quarter in the juke box and am happy for something new.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby Fred in Skirts » Mon May 20, 2019 3:29 am

crfriend wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:I however have no need for either side as I am a moral degenerate and a rogue in all things political... :thumleft: :thumbdown: :thumright:

No on one, yes on two, and bravo. Your writing shows that up pretty plainly.
Framing anything in the former merely plays into the hands of those who would control you.

Actually Carl you would be considered yes on the first one too. You wear skirts don't you. To some we are some of the most degenerate of them all.
While I do not belong to any of the major religious organizations (Catholic, Episcopal, Baptist, Church of God, Church of Christ, Methodist, ETC ETC.
I still believe in the Almighty and I send prayers to Him/Her all of the time.

But in all of my life have I ever heard that wearing clothes is a sin if it is not the clothes prescribed by some pope or bishop sitting on a throne of their own making.

I do not believe that they are anymore the representatives of the Almighty than I am.

So I wear my skirts and dresses in grand openness and dare anyone to prove I am committing a sin against the Almighty.
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby crfriend » Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am

Fred in Skirts wrote:Actually Carl you would be considered yes on the first one too. You wear skirts don't you. To some we are some of the most degenerate of them all.

That's an interesting observation, but I've never seen any of it in practise. Very strangely, I've been held up several times as being a model Christian -- even though I am a flat-out atheist. It's the quality of one's deeds, you see, not what one pays lip-service to. More than anything else, it's the hypocrisy of the Holier-Than-Thou types that gets to me, and I'm also fairly well known for calling folks on that somebody else bothers me or gives me grief.

So, yes, I suppose in some limited circles I might be regarded as an abomination unto someone's notion of a god. I wonder what their god will think of them when faced with them. I hope they're afraid -- very afraid because of the errors of their ways.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10316
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby dillon » Tue May 21, 2019 1:10 am

crfriend wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Actually Carl you would be considered yes on the first one too. You wear skirts don't you. To some we are some of the most degenerate of them all.

That's an interesting observation, but I've never seen any of it in practise. Very strangely, I've been held up several times as being a model Christian -- even though I am a flat-out atheist. It's the quality of one's deeds, you see, not what one pays lip-service to. More than anything else, it's the hypocrisy of the Holier-Than-Thou types that gets to me, and I'm also fairly well known for calling folks on that somebody else bothers me or gives me grief.

So, yes, I suppose in some limited circles I might be regarded as an abomination unto someone's notion of a god. I wonder what their god will think of them when faced with them. I hope they're afraid -- very afraid because of the errors of their ways.

I would doubt that they have any more fear of divine judgment for embracing prejudices than millionaires have at being kicked out of the country club for changing score cards. Part of belonging to a “club” is reaffirming each other’s special merit as a member. Benevolent reciprocity trumps ethical compromise.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby Sinned » Tue May 21, 2019 11:22 am

Anyway, Fred, why let truth get in the way of good humour? Whether the conversation took place or not is immaterial - it serves to point out hypocrisy and ridicule what should be ridiculed. I remember Homer saying, "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. " Keep 'em coming, Fred.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: What is "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"

Postby Fred in Skirts » Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Sinned wrote:Anyway, Fred, why let truth get in the way of good humour? Whether the conversation took place or not is immaterial - it serves to point out hypocrisy and ridicule what should be ridiculed. I remember Homer saying, "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. " Keep 'em coming, Fred.

Thank You Dennis.
I don't worry about the facts unless they are about other people that are living today. As the rest of the world really don't care if what they hear or see is real or not why should I care if something I see or hear is real or not.
However I really do care, I am tired of all of the sh*t that the news media print or say from the talking heads on the telly. One of the biggest reasons I do not subscribe to the daily toilet rag nor watch the news on the telly.
But when it comes to HUMOR Facts are not what it is all about. One of my favorite Internet news letters is one called "This is True" put out by one Randy Cassingham out of Colorado. He has a free version and a paid version. I subscribe to both. Now he take news stories he feels are worthy and adds a tag to every one that will make you think or give you a big belly laugh. He researches every one to get the true facts and then rewrites them so that the truth is there.
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA


Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 1 guest