Save Cinco de Mayo

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Save Cinco de Mayo

Post by dillon »

Another excuse for drinking beer and mezcal on the patio may be irreparably injured by immigration policy...if the border gets closed. Bad news for Cinco de Mayo.

https://www.politifact.com/california/s ... ut-avocad/
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Save Cinco de Mayo

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:Another excuse for drinking beer and mezcal on the patio may be irreparably injured by immigration policy...if the border gets closed. Bad news for Cinco de Mayo.

https://www.politifact.com/california/s ... ut-avocad/
The Presidential apprentice isn't going to go far with a border shut-down.
This is more than a slap in the face to the American economy -
It is more than chopping off the nose -
Let's put it this way removing our number 3 trade partners revenue stream is like removing limbs.
Take away the heart is what our number 2 partner trade will do -
And take away the brain is what number 1 will result in doing -
Isolating ourselves is not the solution.
We have plenty of room in the USA to welcome immigrants their culture their work skills -
AND their assimilation into our country as citizens to share our prosperity and VOTE which I
feel is the big issue - denying earned citizenship rights to vote is what the establishment is afraid of.

It doesn't take much to realize we are doomed if we can't get along with our trade partners and neighbors.

I may get sent out to the woodshed for stating the above - but this writer is in the USA and one our
foundations is the Bill of Rights - Free Speech - end of soap box tirade (tirade not tariffs) !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

My remarks were intended as more tongue-in-cheek reflection on our times than on current politics. But in reading one of the ag trade newsletters to which I subscribe, it is now widely reported that produce shipments are already waiting in dangerously long delays (for perishable foods) because port of entry inspectors have been reassigned to immigration control, apparently mostly for the sake of creating a political impact. There is little about a political “dog-and-pony-show” that doesn’t come with a significant price to business inadvertently caught up in reckless policy.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:There is little about a political “dog-and-pony-show” that doesn’t come with a significant price to business inadvertently caught up in reckless policy.
If this starts to impact the economic elite in any meaningful way it'll stop immediately. A "hard stop" is not out of the question in this case. Who cares about the proletariat; it needs to hit those who pull the strings in the pocket, and once it does it'll "get fixed".

I'll be very, very annoyed if the cost of guacamole goes up much more, but I am a very, very little fish of no economic consequence.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!