Keep this little kitty in your thoughts...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Keep this little kitty in your thoughts...

Post by moonshadow »

Hello all,

Tonight we got a visitor on the porch. A white cat with brown spots who caught my eye because of her serious injury. I don't know where the cat came from, but we managed to get her to come to us.

She is tame (not feral) and once she realized we weren't going to hurt her, we found that she is very loving and friendly. But I can tell she's in a lot of pain. I called the vet after hours for advice. I explained that despite my best intentions I simply can not afford to take on another cat, especially one with this many medical problems right off the bat, we're already up to five cats, and they are all behind on their vet visits... but we're doing the best we can... I don't make as much money as I used to, and the smaller pie is being divided five ways... it's tough.

When I explained that the cat is very friendly, not hissing or spitting or growling, the veterinarian said it should be okay the shelter the cat tonight if we're find with it, just keep her away from the other five and be sure to sanitize everything she touches as she may have some diseases.

I had two choices, I could claim ownership of the cat and get her all fixed up as though she was one of my own (which I can't afford right now)

Or, I can take her down to the office where I would basically release her to the county as an injured stray. She said they would evaluate her, test her for diseases. If she is free of disease, they would then evaluate the injury and make the determination if cat can be saved or euthanized. If the cat can be saved, then they would treat her injuries and attempt to find her a home....

My prayers are that this is the case. So we've gave her a name of "Hope", as we're hoping that she pulls through and they can get her fixed up and adopted to a loving home. Under the worst case scenario, at least she won't suffer at any rate.

She also has a pretty nasty gouge in her side, though it appears to only be skin deep. It is oozing a little though.

I will share some photos, however I don't want to show them openly as they are pretty gruesome. I will host them elsewhere and provide the links:

Be advised, these photos ARE difficult to look at if you have trouble with blood and flesh... I believe the cats skull is visible, though it's not as bad as I initially thought....

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Amber will be keeping an eye on her tonight, as well as keeping her isolate from the other cats. Other than the obvious injuries, she seems pretty healthy. She is staggering a little, no doubt the lack of an ear has thrown off her balance, and as you can imagine, she is twitching her head every so often and sometimes trembles, do doubt to the pain.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Keep this little kitty in your thoughts...

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Moon.
Certainly will and this just stresses how important it is that we are mindful of all our fellow creatures.
A good thought for more than just today.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

If that cute little pussy cat is still calm and not hissing or trying to scratch then it is in shock. It definitely needs care and from the looks it will be expensive. Do what you can to keep it comfortable then take it to the vet and turn it over to them.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I'm a cat man. When I was a little kid, I did some stupid thing and a cat died of it. That feel of guilt is still lurking in the back of my mind. I try to be as friendly as possible to cats and it looks like the feeling is most of the time returned.
I'm glad you take good care of that little cat. Animals are most of the time at the receiving end of (in)human behavior.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

That brought back memories of one of my cats, I think she got hit by a car, I found her in the house on my computer chair with a horrible eye injury, she ended up in the vets for 9 nights, they removed the eye and checked the skull then kept her dosed with methadone and other drugs to stop any swelling in the head. It cost me £450 ish, she survived the accident and to my and the vets surprise, after however long it takes for things to happen, she gave birth to 3 healthy kittens, which must have been baking inside her through the whole accident, drugs & recovery.
Oce the kittens were 4 weeks old, she got hit by a vehicle again and this time died, I became a foster mum for three tiny kittens, weened them and still have one of them.
I now have that little kitty, now fully grown but a bit on the small side, her father and her aunt. Three lovely cats that all still get on most of the time, the vet treatment basically wiped out the last of my savings but at least these cats all seem to stay away from the road!

Seeing those pictures brought memories back and brought tears to my eyes, I really hope you can find a way to help her survive, they are amazingly resilient creatures. Best of luck to you and to her
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Moon’s working so I’m here to let you all know she’s been surrendered to the Vet. Since we signed her over we’re not allowed to know the circumstances pertaining to her now that she’s in the care of the vet. When I called to give them her name the woman did tell me she was in the back being worked on. Let’s all please keep Hope in your prayers that she makes it with flying colors, heals and is able to find her forever home.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

JennC03 wrote:Moon’s working so I’m here to let you all know she’s been surrendered to the Vet. Since we signed her over we’re not allowed to know the circumstances pertaining to her now that she’s in the care of the vet. When I called to give them her name the woman did tell me she was in the back being worked on. Let’s all please keep Hope in your prayers that she makes it with flying colors, heals and is able to find her forever home.
Wish you were here. There is a place called A Safe Place Place for Animals. They have a staff vet and would most likely take her. Also, there are angel transports that can be arranged to relocate a pet to a needed shelter. These are all free.