Is this just a southern mannerism?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Is this just a southern mannerism?

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:
moonshadow wrote:
denimini wrote:Conservatism exists everywhere.
I don't think it's really a liberal/conservative issue.
Sorry, I forgot about your political parties there. I should have used the term reactionary or narrow-minded people.
Here we see an example of how changes in the language stifle communication -- specifically in this case where we've lost the use of the very useful terms "conservative" and "liberal".

"Reactionary" is the correct term for the modern US neo-con and always has been right from the "rise of the right" in the 1980s (and which, sadly, has been spreading globally ever since with disgusting results). The "left" in the US is no better, mind, and has been being dragged to the right by the overall mass in motion caused by the neo-cons and which has generally caused a breakdown of society in the US because of the hard-nosed right-wingers. Our "left-wingers" of today are yesteryear's centrists, and we're without an effective anchor resisting the push to the right and an ever-more authoritarian system.

Unfortunately, the terms here have lost their original meaning and are now widely regarded as slurs depending on who is using them and in what context. "Liberal" has become code for "left-wing nutcase" and "conservative" effectively means "fascist" and there's an enormous and likely unbridgeable gap between -- all artificially induced, probably by design. Quite frankly, it's a mess.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We have Liberal and Conservative parties here too. At least did - the Liberals became the Liberal Democrats, now shortened to LibDems.

Funnily, that bigotted customer, I wouldn't have even considered going after her and trying to talk to her. Ya can't resolve such bigotry with discussion - their minds are already set in stone.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

We actually have a State election tomorrow. Being sparsely populated our electorate is a large area, 356,291.70 km2 (137,565.0 sq mi) so there is a big range of interests. 8 candidates but only 3 have a chance. Nationals (right wing), Country Labor (centrist, used to be left) and the Shooters, FIshers and Farmers (?).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

denimini wrote:We actually have a State election tomorrow. Being sparsely populated our electorate is a large area, 356,291.70 km2 (137,565.0 sq mi) so there is a big range of interests. 8 candidates but only 3 have a chance. Nationals (right wing), Country Labor (centrist, used to be left) and the Shooters, FIshers and Farmers (?).
and the Shooters, FIshers and Farmers ?

Independent perhaps this category ?

Left
Center
Right

Labor
Green
Libertarian

Combinations of Etc.

Any party you want it to be - such folly !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

...birthday party.... Tupperware party, bachelor party...

... tea party! (Like the English have)

Mortgage burning party! YES! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

r.m.anderson wrote: and the Shooters, FIshers and Farmers ?

Independent perhaps this category ?
They are a mixed bag in their policies, many coinciding with right wing.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote:
But it would seem that in my region, the majority of people seem to hold somewhat "libertarian" ideals. Neither conservative nor liberal. "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" kind of stuff...
That's classic liberalism. Not all modern liberals agree.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote:...birthday party.... Tupperware party, bachelor party...

... tea party! (Like the English have)

Mortgage burning party! YES! :D
There was an Australian Sex Party
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:[The "Shooters, FIshers and Farmers"] are a mixed bag in their policies, many coinciding with right wing.
So Oz, too, is falling victim to a hardening to the "right"? That's sad. I'm not saying that the leftists have all of it correct by a long-shot, but this seemingly global hardening into authoritarian systems I find entirely disheartening.
There was an Australian Sex Party
So there's yet another sex that we have to deal with? I'd always thought that Australians came in "male" and "female" varieties with the very occasional one in between, but are all Australians "something else"? (Now, if this was about Aussies having sex, that's something I might be inclined to throw my weight behind, even if said weight is a bit insubstantial at the moment.)
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Jim wrote:
moonshadow wrote:
But it would seem that in my region, the majority of people seem to hold somewhat "libertarian" ideals. Neither conservative nor liberal. "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" kind of stuff...
True that.

There's a political science book called "The Road To Serfdom" by Nobel Laureate F. A. Hayek who spends an entire chapter talking about how collectivist types, like the NAZIs, would label themselves as liberals to promote themselves. In other words, it's not uncommon for groups to adopt political labels that had attractive associations.

Liberals, 120 years ago, were the people looking to minimize government intervention. Today, the ones calling themselves liberal seem to want the government to intervene on just about everything they see as a problem.

Labels just ain't what they used to be.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kingfish wrote:Labels just ain't what they used to be.
Labels... not just for canned foods anymore!

Man these political labels are more confusing than the gender-labels... gheeze-Louise! :shock:

Was there ever a time when it was simply who's right and who's wrong?
Jim wrote:
moonshadow wrote:
I don't know. I just know my region is so red you can light a cigarette off of it, and yet, very few people seem to care what I wear. As for problems, I've had more trouble out of other characteristics of mine rather than my choice to simply wear a skirt.

Based on what parties win elections, we can safely say that New England leans blue, and Carl often reports no major issues in his neck of the woods with regards to his choice in dress. Thus, we can conclude that most liberals are probably pretty laid back, all things considered.

My region leans red, and I also report no major issues, thus we can conclude that most conservatives are probably pretty laid back, all things considered....

There are trouble makers in every group.

There are two labels I apply to people in "my book". You're either an asshole, or you're not. Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt from me until they give me a reason to dislike them. 999 out of 1,000 people I interact with seem pretty cool, granted nobody is perfect, but most everyone is more than tolerable.

I can't remember the last time I watched a "news cast". But every day I interact with a diverse array of new people. You'd be surprised how often politics DOESN'T come up!

Get people away form social media and they can be pretty cool.

I mean, I happened upon some clip of a TV show about a crossdressing cartoon super hero on a kids channel, and the neo-cons were losing their minds in the comments... And I'm sitting here thinking... "Good grief, and here I sit recalling the time bugs bunny wore a dress and made a pass at Elmer Fudd" nobody cared... nobody wrote their freaking congressman over it, nobody boycotted Saturday Morning cartoons.... people get too damned worked up these days....

The world needs to chill the _____ out. Liberals... conservatives... sit down and shut up! I'm so wore out with it! There are about 500 people in the world who's opinion actually matters.... all the rest of us... are just lucky to be alive. Live your life, be free, and try to mellow out, this gravy train can derail any day now and we'll yearn for the days when guys in dresses were our biggest fear!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote:The world needs to chill the _____ out. Liberals... conservatives... sit down and shut up! I'm so wore out with it! There are about 500 people in the world who's opinion actually matters.... all the rest of us... are just lucky to be alive. Live your life, be free, and try to mellow out, this gravy train can derail any day now and we'll yearn for the days when guys in dresses were our biggest fear!
"Our task is not to destroy but to build

Well said!
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formated for quoting another member
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Here we see an example of how changes in the language stifle communication -- specifically in this case where we've lost the use of the very useful terms "conservative" and "liberal".

"Reactionary" is the correct term for the modern US neo-con and always has been right from the "rise of the right" in the 1980s (and which, sadly, has been spreading globally ever since with disgusting results). The "left" in the US is no better, mind, and has been being dragged to the right by the overall mass in motion caused by the neo-cons and which has generally caused a breakdown of society in the US because of the hard-nosed right-wingers. Our "left-wingers" of today are yesteryear's centrists, and we're without an effective anchor resisting the push to the right and an ever-more authoritarian system.

Unfortunately, the terms here have lost their original meaning and are now widely regarded as slurs depending on who is using them and in what context. "Liberal" has become code for "left-wing nutcase" and "conservative" effectively means "fascist" and there's an enormous and likely unbridgeable gap between -- all artificially induced, probably by design. Quite frankly, it's a mess.
Many people seem to want to think of themselves as moderate. I've heard both sides say that their current positions were considered moderate until recently, but society has shifted the other way. I'm sure you can "prove" this either way if you cherry pick the right issues and the right point in history to go back to.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I probably shouldn't be surprised how much this thread turned into an attack on folks who are considered right of center politically, but I still am. It's a shame. We should welcome anyone interested in men's fashion expanding beyond the dull, uncomfortable, narrow little box it got stuck in.

In my experience, I've run into left-leaning moderates who are against skirts/kilts for men, and fairly hard, right-wing religious types who are fine with it. I'm not saying this is necessarily typical, but a lot of folks you wouldn't have expected will support a man with an atypical appearance.

Thanks for trying to settle things down, Moon. You manage to be the voice of reason around here on a not so infrequent basis.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote:Many people seem to want to think of themselves as moderate. I've heard both sides say that their current positions were considered moderate until recently, but society has shifted the other way. I'm sure you can "prove" this either way if you cherry pick the right issues and the right point in history to go back to.
It's not a question of "cherry-picking" at all. In the late '70s I was widely regarded as being "slightly right of centre". With the arrival of the neo-con in 1980 all of a sudden I found myself judged as "leftist" -- through no change in my own personal opinions. I remain a hard-nosed pragmatist, but with the transformation of what was my country from a republic to an oligarchy those same views are now seen as radically leftist. Sometimes the ground under one's feet does shift without the individual lifting a foot.

Study history, for those who do not are doomed to repeat it -- and the worst of it at that.