R.I.P Dick Dale

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

R.I.P Dick Dale

Post by dillon »

Dick Dale, king of the early sixties sound called “surf guitar” died Saturday at age 81. Dale, born Richard Anthony Mansour hailed from Boston, but became an icon of Southern California. He and his band the Del-Tones were heard in several teen surf movies starring Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello. Dale’s frenetic guitar style seemed dated, but experienced a resurgence when Quentin Tarantino prominently featured his instrumental ‘Misirlou’ in the film ‘Pulp Fiction.’ Dale fought cancer through most of his life. His career appeared cut short in 1965 at age 28 when he nearly died of rectal cancer, and radical surgery was performed. At the height of his career Dale made a million dollars a year, and boasted to have made ten thousand dollars for three minutes work when he appeared on the Ed Sullivan TV variety show in 1963. Through the rest of his life medical bills often kept him at the brink of bankruptcy. Dale toured and performed as his health allowed, saying that performing was essential to save his life due to extensive and expensive medical treatments. Dale is cited by a number of heavy metal performers as an inspiration . He attributed his style to the cultural influence of his Lebanese immigrant family.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: R.I.P Dick Dale

Post by dillon »

As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...