Men and ice cream

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

Do you enjoy ice cream at night more so than other times of the day.

Yes
48%
No
40%
I do not eat ice cream
12%

Total votes: 25

moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Men and ice cream

Post by moonshadow »

Last weekend while I was out working, I struck up a conversation with a woman about grocery stores we like shopping at. I made a comment that I had been giving my business to the local Save-a-lot lately. I mentioned that the quality is reasonable, though you have to experiment and find out what you like and what you don't. For those who don't know, Save-a-lot is generally, a private label store. They don't have many national brands on their shelves. As such, many items do have a different taste than what you might expect from a national label, but not all are bad.

Anyway, I made a comment that I didn't like their ice cream, and still prefer Food Lion's ice cream mainly for price and value. Food Lion simply has the best ice cream for the price. Save-a-lot sells a carton of their brand for $2.99. Food Lion sells their brand for about $2.00, but they also have Friendly's varieties that I enjoy that run $3.29, though sometimes they are on sale at 2 for $5. Walmart is okay, they stock Pet brand, which is good, but they don't have the flavors I enjoy other than chocolate. Which is nice, but I like the Friendly's kind that has the cookie dough and little chocolate chips in it. Food Lion also has a private label chocolate ice cream I like that has brownie bits mixed in.

Food City's ice cream is good, but God it's expensive. It's well over $4 for a carton of their private label. If you buy something name brand, expect to fork over $5-$7! :shock:

Anyway, the woman kinda chuckled and jokingly asked "what is it with men and eating ice cream at night?"

I asked her what did she mean?

She said she's noticed that a lot of men can be quite the ice cream connoisseurs. And per her experience, we normally indulge our habit at night!

I thought for a moment, I recalled my father, and his father before him, my step father, and many other men in my family... yes, do seem to enjoy ice cream exclusively at night.

So this is a site of mostly men, I thought I pose the question of do enjoy eat ice cream at night?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Men and ice cream

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:So this is a site of mostly men, I thought I pose the question of do enjoy eat ice cream at night?
I have the ability to enjoy ice cream at any hour of the day, but as most of my leisure time exists in the late afternoon and early evening that's my favourite time for really savouring the stuff.

And, even though I haven't lick of Russian blood in me (as far as I know) I enjoy ice cream in the dead of winter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ice Cream is my down fall. I can never get enough of it. I tend to try to eat the whole tub in one evening while watching the boob tube. So I don't buy it as often as I used to. :(
Last edited by Fred in Skirts on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Here during the kinder months most places have a couple of outlets that 'do' 99s. They place a large standing cone out on the pavement advertising that they have their machine up and running.

A wafer pre-formed cone is placed under the nozzle and the lovely softish vanilla stuff pours out, filling it right up to almost twice its height, tapering to the top. Then they wrap the wafer cone in a tissue, shove a Cadbury's milk flake chocolate stick in at a rakish angle and ask if you would like sauce on it....a little nozzle loaded with strawberry/raspberry/lemon or whatever to decorate the outside of this delicious standing ice cream cone. About Eur 2.

I forego the decoration and have mine just plain. Driving home from work at 5-ish I pass such an establishment and frequently indulge myself. I still have some 4 miles to go and my '99' lasts me most of the way! :D

In a domestic situation ice cream in various flavours dug out of a box serves to brighten the after dinner pudding. Served with cake or apple pie, rhubarb or fruits various and/or meringues tempts me to enjoy my 'just deserts' or 'join the deserters'. Generally it is late afternoon for the '99' or late evening for the 'dessert', but I must admit to fancying one at mid-day when it's hot, sometimes.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I enjoy ice cream but generally the richer flavors. My faves are coffee flavors, dulce de leche, and sambayon. I can sub sea salt caramel for the dulce de leche but I have not been able to find sambayon in the US, but I don’t exactly live in a cosmopolitan part of the country. I tend to sub Irish cream liqueur with Starbucks blonde roast iced coffee this time of year and hit the ice cream in warmer months.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I like ice cream but not at an addiction level. When I was a kid, I got an ice cream cone when we went to the beach. Shortly after the war this was a real treat. My favorite was rum raisin then and it still is. I'm glad it is available at my local grocery.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ice+cre ... k1R6qKCW_M:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

dillon wrote:I enjoy ice cream but generally the richer flavors. My faves are coffee flavors, dulce de leche, and sambayon. I can sub sea salt caramel for the dulce de leche but I have not been able to find sambayon in the US, but I don’t exactly live in a cosmopolitan part of the country. I tend to sub Irish cream liqueur with Starbucks blonde roast iced coffee this time of year and hit the ice cream in warmer months.
Do you mean something like this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 0b1f57cb59
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I tend to eat icecream in the evening, except when I add a bit to an iced espresso on a hot day.
The logistics of getting it home makes one appreciate it more; 200kms in 45C+ heat.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, I like ice cream at any time of the day and favourite things to eat it from [0]. But as working guys, most of us, our free time is the evenings so I have answered "No" even though I eat more at night for that reason. I like Homer where he goes to the fridge and there's more than one tub of Neopolitan containing red and white ice cream and he shouts to Marge, "We're out of the chocolate ice cream."

[0] I'll leave that to your imagination. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Pretty much anytime from about noon on. Depends on if it's something needed to cool myself off, or a nighttime desire.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

beachlion wrote:
dillon wrote:I enjoy ice cream but generally the richer flavors. My faves are coffee flavors, dulce de leche, and sambayon. I can sub sea salt caramel for the dulce de leche but I have not been able to find sambayon in the US, but I don’t exactly live in a cosmopolitan part of the country. I tend to sub Irish cream liqueur with Starbucks blonde roast iced coffee this time of year and hit the ice cream in warmer months.
Do you mean something like this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 0b1f57cb59
The sambayon in Buenos Aires is more a commercially prepared ice cream sold in most ice cream shops, and even by the liter or half-kilogram. But equally delicious. It is not what I’d consider a Marsala, more liqueur-ish.

But I can put a shot of Kahlua or Amaretto over any non-fruity ice cream and be perfectly mollified into Lazy-Boy limbo!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

dillon wrote:..... The sambayon in Buenos Aires is more a commercially prepared ice cream sold in most ice cream shops, and even by the liter or half-kilogram. But equally delicious. It is not what I’d consider a Marsala, more liqueur-ish.

But I can put a shot of Kahlua or Amaretto over any non-fruity ice cream and be perfectly mollified into Lazy-Boy limbo!
With the reference of Argentina, the name Sambayon makes more sense. But only a little as I would have placed it more in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, especially in this time of the year. I thought you misspelled it. ;)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

There are still a few independent ice cream sellers in and around Aberdeen.
They all have their own followings too.
This may sound cliched and possibly racist but my personal favourite is a family concern of Italian descent.
Expensive, yes but their hazelnut flavour is pure heaven in my mouth.
I don't take it home as it is just too good to be kept waiting.
I can't say that I have noticed any gender bias in the clientele though.
Steve.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Funny thing, but my wife and I were discussing "The Road to Abilene. We have been saying it for weeks after my wife asked if I wanted to go out for ice cream. I explained it was a management concept I learned years ago called the "Abilene Paradox". When I worked for Marriott it was a required training video.

A "road to Abilene" is when a group collectively decides to do something which no individual in the group really wants to do. The term comes from the Abilene Paradox, demonstrated by the story of a family who decides to travel 53 miles north to Abilene for ice cream. On the way back, they begin arguing after realizing that none of them wanted to go in the first place.
"Every one knows that Corporate project sucks, but we're all marching full steam ahead anyway... It's a total road to Abilene."
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

STEVIE wrote:There are still a few independent ice cream sellers in and around Aberdeen.
They all have their own followings too.
This may sound cliched and possibly racist but my personal favourite is a family concern of Italian descent.
Expensive, yes but their hazelnut flavour is pure heaven in my mouth.
I don't take it home as it is just too good to be kept waiting.
I can't say that I have noticed any gender bias in the clientele though.
Steve.
From my American perspective, the way you used the word “racist” I found a bit curious. It made me wonder what constitutes racial difference in the UK, and in Europe generally. Here, we might consider a person of Italian descent somewhat ethnically different from those of us with a mainly Anglo Protestant heritage but we would not suggest there was a racial distinction. To what extent do Europe and the Isles discern “race” among the indigenous folk of the continent? From this side of the pond, you all seem pretty much “lily-white” to me. I ask only as a matter of curiosity, not to stir any pots.

Based on what I know of my own heritage, I am German and English on my mother’s side, and English, Scots-Irish, and likely some German on my father’s side...and perhaps some Native American, which I will discount since I don’t want anyone calling me “Pocahontas.” But from an American POV, I am just a garden-variety white guy.