A Grin & Chuckle

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

A Grin & Chuckle

Post by Uncle Al »

I hit a turkey JPG 2019-02-17.jpg
:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Grin & Chuckle

Post by STEVIE »

Were there no thanks given?
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

STEVIE wrote:Were there no thanks given?
Steve.
I had also thought it might have been a fortuitous roadkill...not for the turkey, of course. It’s what we in the South call “flat-meat.” :wink:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

We have a few wild turkeys running my area. I have a problem with one. He would come down my driveway and stare at his reflection in the grill of my car. The horn didn't scare him I had to get out of the car and chase him away . as I got in the car he would come back and again block my path.

This happened a couple of times. finally there was some people out for a walk. I had to ask them to come down my driveway and chase the bird away so I could get out.

As far as road kill he had to be a tough old bird and I don't think he would have tasted to good :lol: :lol: :lol:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:We have a few wild turkeys running my area. I have a problem with one. He would come down my driveway and stare at his reflection in the grill of my car. The horn didn't scare him I had to get out of the car and chase him away . as I got in the car he would come back and again block my path.
We've got quite a few turkeys up here in Massachusetts, and the general advice from the wildlife folks is to harass the birds to keep them away from people, dwellings, and cars. This includes noise, dogs, and using a hose. Here's page 1 on the matter and page 2 which discusses what to do about aggressive birds. The general advice is, "Keep wildlife wild."

It's quite astonishing how well they acclimate to even urban settings. I've seen turkeys in Brookline, MA which is an enclave of Boston so it's fairly densely urban but which has nice parks that the birds likely have colonised. There's also a flock of 15 - 20 birds in the vicinity of my office and once in a while I have to chase them away from the doors.

We also have coyotes. Any of those on Long Island?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

All of the above are here, along with black bears. When you hit one of those, it stops you dead. No bouncing off a bumper. I was in physical therapy with a woman who was passenger on her husband’s motorcycle when they hit a relatively small one. It put them both in the hospital. And it happened on a major highway, albeit in a region of woodlands, of which there are many in eastern NC. Around dusk, they approached from behind a car stopped in the right lane, and changed to the left lane to pass it, not knowing the car had stopped because a bear was crossing in the lane. It was a 120 pound bear, not large by our standards, and they hit it at 50+ mph. They both lived, with broken bones and lacerations, but the bear had to be killed.

I saw the aftermath of a Hyundai hitting a 300 pound bear. The vehicle was essentially a total loss, due to its modest value. Airbags deployed, and only the bear died. He had been living in the woods across from a hog farm and feeding from the mortality dump box. Bears that do that tend to get fat and lazy.

A bigger problem we have are packs of feral pigs. Very destructive to crops.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The National Wild Turkey Assoc. is head quartered here in South Carolina. They have a web site at https://www.nwtf.org/

The Mailing Address is:

National Wild Turkey Federation
Post Office Box 530
Edgefield, SC 29824-0530

This is just about 25 miles from where I live. I own about 50 acres and have several turkeys roaming the property as well as deer, coyotes, fox, and I have seen a wild cat as well. Pigs have been pretty well hunted in this area and are still prevalent in the 350 square mile Savannah River Site owned by the Government. (AKA "The Bomb Plant" where they produced the stuff that went into the nuclear and hydrogen bombs). They hold controlled deer and wild pig hunts every year to control; the population.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here [0] we have lots of large birds - seagulls, swans and geese of various sorts. The York University lake has many geese resident there and it's and Urban Myth that the only way really to get sent down is to kill one of the resident geese. Locally we have foxes tour the streets at night - they have been seen.

[0] Our lake that I walk around has coots, ducks, geese, swans and seagulls among others.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

dillon wrote:
STEVIE wrote:Were there no thanks given?
Steve.
I had also thought it might have been a fortuitous roadkill...not for the turkey, of course. It’s what we in the South call “flat-meat.” :wink:
It's the Catch of the Day at the Road Kill Cafe!

--Rick
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Rick

It's good to read you again :!:
I hope your health is improving :!:

All the best,

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Kilted Musician wrote:It's the Catch of the Day at the Road Kill Cafe!
Dead Right Rick.
I will echo Al's sentiment too!
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kilted Musician wrote:It's the Catch of the Day at the Road Kill Cafe!
How can anyone not adore that line?

Hopefully things are well with you!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Kilted Musician wrote: It's the Catch of the Day at the Road Kill Cafe!
Hey! I got a fresh deer yesterday. It's skinned and cooling; having heart tonight.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jim wrote:
Hey! I got a fresh deer yesterday. It's skinned and cooling; having heart tonight.
Was it road kill or did you shoot it??
Yesterday My front yard was full of deer at least 16 of them just grazing, I enjoyed watching them for about 15 minutes when a wild dog chased them away. That dog has been ear marked for being road kill or something similar.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Jim wrote:
Was it road kill or did you shoot it??
My friend (an elder at my Mennonite Church) called and said it appeared roadside between when he left for our prayer meeting and when he returned. Yes, hit by a car; very fresh, no intestines burst, but some meat badly bruised that I'll discard.

They are out of season, but in Illinois legal to salvage. I just needed to file a report online.

Sorry, no skirt on at the time. Before and afterward, yes, but I wore rainpants to protect my clothes.