Winter in the US

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Winter in the US

Post by weeladdie18 »

A NOTE FOR THE AIRCRAFT SPOTTERS....The Navy were busy in the last couple of days..
The jets were practicing landing skills and formation flying...Tail end Charlie was not up to the mark.

The helos were playing with ships out in the bay and the fire tenders were out playing in the mud...

Recently I saw a small version of a Merlin Helo......My question is ...Do helicopters have babies ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Just before the snow moved in across Cornwall It was sunny and
there was enough blue sky to make a pair of sailors trousers.............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

oldsalt1 wrote:This is to Ralph Weeladdie and Freedom your weather is very dangerous , take care and stay warm , But could please do me a favor and stop sending your cold weather to us on the East Coast
Please do not blame me, Sir...we are over three thousand miles away from you.....
We had your second hand weather yesterday afternoon

Our Country has put 1200 soldiers on alert to protect us from your weather.............L.O.L.....weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

[...

Recently I saw a small version of a Merlin Helo......My question is ...Do helicopters have babies ?[/quote]

yes they do check out LOH Vietnam 1967
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The first week in January 2018, we had just returned from Ecuador and arrived at home in time for a semi-rare snowfall here in SE NC. Then it got cold. We hit -4F, a record low for the closest recording station which is usually New River MCAS. Greenville NC was even colder. Coastal NC was even colder, briefly, than the summits of the Appalachians. But even with the bout of record cold, we ended with 2018 being the fifth warmest year on record. Weather aberrations will become the new normal as climate change accelerates. The polar vortex we are experiencing is likely a consequence of the greatly diminished polar ice cap.

I think it’s no longer necessary to rant about the contributing politics. If it’s not already apparent to everyone, it will become so in short order.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

[q
I think it’s no longer necessary to rant about the contributing politics. If it’s not already apparent to everyone, it will become so in short order.[/quote]

Isn't this comment ranting
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Isn't this comment ranting
The science on this is settled, and whether we choose to believe that or the dross pushed at us by Ford Motor Company and Exxon-Mobil is our choice.

The bald fact is that climate change is real, and it's here -- now. It may be cold here at the moment, but that's weather not climate. A good example of a changing climate is that the Northwest Passage is viable for commercial shipping for some months of the year now when previously it was completely iced in year-round. Another good example is the decline in the historical severity of the New England winter. Where we used to receive snow in bumper amounts, we now get "wintry mix" of wet snow, sleet, freezing rain, and, increasingly, ice. Winters are noticeably shorter now, starting later, and are much sharper, frequently starting as late as February instead of late November. Seawater levels are higher than ever before.

So, yes, it's here, and it's happening around (and to) us. Are we (humans) the sole cause? No. The planet cycles on its own. Do we have a vested interest in at least trying to slow the thing down instead of accelerating it? Hell yes! Should we be being bullied by the fossil-fuel-extraction companies or should we be looking at this with the cold rational eye of logic? I posit the latter.

As I said, the science is settled, and has been for years. The propaganda, however, continues to circulate unabated and is warping perceptions.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

oldsalt1 wrote:[q
I think it’s no longer necessary to rant about the contributing politics. If it’s not already apparent to everyone, it will become so in short order.
Isn't this comment ranting[/quote]

No. :wink:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The British Antarctic team have recently placed instruments more that a mile deep below the ice cap so the movement
of the ice can be plotted

Met office severe winters are now claimed with a possible met office frequency of every 7 years in the U K

It was recently suggested to me that forecasting is more reliant on satellite technology that on
old style single observer forecasters looking at the clouds.........and recording local conditions

I did comment that the regional forecast for our day with one sleet shower
was well adrift from our local weather from the heavens............

When the forecast goes pear shaped we do have serious problems.

The met office claim that their forecast is only valid for 4 hours.....then there is an update ...............weeladdie
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Seattle finally joined the party. Snow storm struck yesterday.
Last edited by Grok on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Monday Afternoon S W UK Winter weather back to normal .....Sunny, temperature up to 13 C
Rain drained out of ditches ,roads now dry , spring crocus in flower in my garden....................

we may have problems in March......hopefully February will soon be gone

Latest information ....the missing Argentinian Football Star's missing Aircraft has been found today in the
First day of an underwater search off Guernesy
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

77 degrees 6 hours ago....

12 hours from now it will be in the mid 30's....

If you don't like the weather here.... wait a few hours.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:77 degrees 6 hours ago....
12 hours from now it will be in the mid 30's....
If you don't like the weather here.... wait a few hours.
It hit 85 F here today and set a record, in a few hours it will drop to 53 F and by Sunday it will be back to freezing. :? :?
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Here it was 50°F two days ago, is 4°F now (windchill -19°F or -28°C) and -1°F is expected tonight.