Winter in Cornwall U.K.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Winter in Cornwall U.K.

Post by weeladdie18 »

Friday weather improved considerably......Walked the southern bank of the Helford River between Helford Village
and the sea....A sunny ,calm afternoon , temperature up to 13 C or 55 in the woods

Only saw a couple of folks in a four mile walk..... All the fishing boats were coming in after a day at sea

There are stories of Bass , Pollack , Mackerel and Dolphins off Falmouth over the Christmas period........
Plenty of spring flowers now out ,..... a couple of weeks and it will be March........weeladdie
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It was around 65F here on the NC coast today and sunny until late afternoon. I was playing with my new toy, a Stihl top-handle trimming saw. I needed a lightweight saw for around the yard because my big Stihl gets too heavy now, since my broken wrist is not back to normal strength yet. This saw can be used with one hand for small diameter cuts. I have nearly finished pruning the overgrown azaleas now but it was too windy to burn the debris. If the expected rain holds off perhaps tomorrow morning. This time of year if it’s not raining, then it’s windy.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Back in the time of the winter snow ,we only had two sleet showers which settled on the high ground near Bodmin.
The main road to Cornwall was blocked...the local supermarkets had problems as a days supply of provisions were lost in the Snow....

We have only had a couple of weeks of decent calm weather and now the Blackthorn Winter has fully bloomed we are feeling the
effect of a true Blackthorn Winter....The temperature has dropped and we are getting a few days of cold Easterly wind....upto 40 MPH

This heavy swell might change the shape of the boat launching beaches before we get a settled spring....Dolphin Carcases washed up on the beaches
possibly the result of commercial deep sea fishing further up the coast....Seaweed washed up onto the village waterfronts....

Holliday makers should be here this coming Good Friday....They have been about for a couple of weeks , then it will go dead again till Mayday W E.

Late Dafodils are still coming into bloom, Tulips are finished,..BlueBells, Primroses and Wild Garlic are in the hedgerows

The Farms are cropping vegetables....Many fields are being sprayed with animal fertiliser or being ploughed now the land is drying...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Down at the sailing club on the Helford River the wayfarers and the drascombe are being launched this week so we will start our
Tuesday evening sailing next week; continuing until September...In two months time ,..the nights will start drawing in again.

Soon everyone will be boating again and the wind and rain will follow..see what this summer will bring....
The year I was born in August, The Big Top for the circus in the field, next to the nursing home ,was blown down in a gale of wind.

Last birthday we crossed the Helford river for a Barbie...on the way back to the sailing club we ran out of wind.
If I remember correctly we only lost two evenings sailing with the strong wind....We all live in hope for this year