Moon Shadow's Cat Rescue

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Moon Shadow's Cat Rescue

Post by moonshadow »

Well, I believe the world is out in the Kitty Kingdom, there's a "safe house" where a warm bed, food, and water can be had. It seems we're drawing in all sorts of cats now. However a warning to those who enter: The residents of Moon's Cat house have discovered a place that offers discount spay and neuter services in Abingdon. If you hang out long enough, you're gonna get sniped!

We're up to five now. All but Luna, are about to have their first Christmas with Moon, Jenn, and Amber. This will be Paisley and Sebastian's first Christmas ever, Aquarius has probably had a few, but this is most likely her first where she wasn't a stray. We've had Luna for a few years now, so nothing new there.

The newest addition is a female cat that stays pregnant. In fact, she's Paisley and Sebastian's mother. She came from the neighbor next door, but I think they've more or less abandoned her. She's been hanging out in the barn and back yard all autumn long. There's also an old grey Tom who hangs out in the barn who I believe is the father cat, but he seems to be feral and won't let anyone near him.

She's burrowed out a little nest of leaves in the corner of the back door stoop and the house. I set up a small piece of plywood to use as a shelter for her and lined it with straw. I tried to keep her some food out but the neighborhood dogs won't stay out of it. Earlier last week the temperatures got really cold, in the teens with a low wind chill. It was about 11PM, and I was reading a book on the bed when it occurred to me that I'd like to check on the cat outside. I walked out the back door and looked under the shelter. She was huddled up in the straw. I reached my hand towards the back and felt her as she was shivering.

It melted my heart, so I grabbed her up, held her on the porch for a few moments, and though my logic resisted, my heart overcame me and I carried her in the house to get warm. She's been quite content in the house since then. A generally well behaved cat, though she doesn't seem to like Sebastian very much. The next day, realizing I can no longer afford to spend an upwards of $300 to spay cats any longer, I went in search of a more affordable alternative. I found a place in Abingdon that does spays for $65, neuters for $50. The neighbors call her Roxy, but we always just called her "Mama" as she's already had several litters of kittens.

Her constant pregnancies have taken their toll, and she's a pretty rough looking cat. I don't think she'll make it through the winter without help.

I'm still not sure what my plan is for Mama long term. I know next week she's getting spayed and getting a rabies shot and a flea treatment. She'll probably hang out with us for the duration of the winter. I'm not sure if she plans to go back home in the spring. Somehow I doubt it. I don't think the neighbor is going to make a pitch for the cat either, as they seem to be more into dogs at the moment. Dogs that constantly get loose come into my yard, crap all over the place, and terrorize my cats.

Anyway, at one time I was thinking we might be over our head, but with the discovery of the discount spay and neuter clinic, I think we're going to be okay, but we have to stop here. Five is enough. The house is small as it is.

Anyway, here's some photos of Moon Shadow's cat family:

Mama in her little make shift shelter I made for her....

Now her second day indoors. She seems better. She's eating good, drinking water, and generally staying out of the way. She loves affection and being held. Quick to purr. One of her favorite spots it at the foot of our bed, which is pissing Aquarius off as she also likes to lay there, but Aquarius generally doesn't socialize with the other cats, she instead she's been laying in the mail basket with her back turned to the world pouting.

Surprisingly, for five homeless cats, none appear to be having any accidents in the floor that I can see. I've just got to get the fleas under control. Thank God for hard wood floors!

I saved this shipping tube from work a few weeks ago, not sure what I wanted to do with it, but it seemed a shame to throw it away. Well, the cats seem to enjoy it!
Left to right:
Sebastian, Luna, Aquarius. Paisley is in the tube...

.... uh oh.... Paisley was spayed before she ever went into a heat... thus she'll be a lifelong kitten....

"Oh hia!"

Oh yeah... Christmas trees have skirts too!

It's funny how all five seem to have their own personality and quarks.

Luna: (nick name: The pretty kitty) The eldest, and the one who's been with us the longest. I believe we got her in 2015 if I'm not mistaken, and she was a few years old then. She's been the only cat until early 2018. She's also probably traveled the most territory. We don't know where she came from prior to being dumped in front of our house in Damascus, but she's been with us there, and to Marion VA, and finally to Lebanon. She's generally easy going, but doesn't like being held. She prefers to "head bunk" you instead and brush up against your legs. She doesn't really socialize with the other cats, but she's not mean to them either. She mostly just does her own thing, spends a lot of time staring out the window, but seldom likes to go outside, especially in the winter.

Aquarius: (nickname: The little kitty) She's the second to come along, in early 2018, she was given to us by my former boss who took her in during his time living at the company warehouse. I suspect she probably came from the meth infested trailer park next door. Aquarius is one of those who thinks she's hot stuff, that her "milk shake brings all the boys" etc etc.. but deep down, she's just a trailer park cat, and she knows it, even if she won't admit it. We just "don't talk about those days"... If anyone ask, for the record "she was descended from Egyptian royalty". She doesn't like any of the other cats, and seems to have a crush on me. I believe what she really wants is to have me all to herself. No Jenn, Amber, or other cats. Her infatuation with me is border line creepy at times I must admit. She generally nicest to me, but she can be a b!tch. When she gets annoyed, she'll pass Luna by and pop her just for the heck of it. Luna just sits there and takes it. Also, when she gets annoyed she snorts and sneezes. She also drools a lot...

Egyptian royalty my ass...

Paisley: (nickname: Stinkbug, snickerdoodle) She was spayed before she ever went into a heat, so she's still a kitten at heart. She LOVES to play. She plays constantly. She gets into more trouble around the house than the others combined. She begs at the dinner table, and loves to be held and to sit in your lap, especially when your trying to eat, type, or read a book. She also likes to play rough with her brother, Sebastian. Often times they will chase each other around the house for hours in the evening. She's starting to get pudgy as she eats a lot. She gets into the trash, and won't stay off the counter. It's a good thing she's adorable, because she can really be a pain sometimes.

Sebastian: (nickname: dumbass) He's the only boy in the group. And he's basically the proverbial "aw shucks" kind of guy. He's stout, has thick skin and big paws, but really he's just a big baby. He's not crazy about being held (that's for GIRLS... eeewww!) and likes to play rough, but he purrs at the drop of a hat. He's a sweetheart, but just don't tell him that, he gets weird when you challenge his masculinity. He had a crush on Aquarius, but Aquarius isn't having any of that, she after all, is in love with me, and appears to be quite asexual with regards to other cats. When Mama came in, I think he started fancy her, who by the way is his actual MAMA... yeah... there's some serious Jerry Springer sh_t going on here... :shock: Mama doesn't appear interested at this time. He's a very frustrated old boy... surrounded by females, and nobody wants to give him any.... poor fella... He'll be getting the old snip in January, and hopefully that will help calm him down a little.

Mama: She's only been here for just under a week, so we haven't really pegged her personality yet. So far she seems to like people, but tends to avoid the other cats. She spends most of her time thus far laying on the foot of the bed, or on the sofa. She has no interest in going back outside at this time. She's growled a few times at the other cats, particularly to ward off Sebastian's advances. She has a healthy appetite, and seems to be content in general. I think after a year of roaming the neighborhood, living off garbage and running from dogs, I think she's just happy to be loved again, and to receive affection..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Moon Shadow's Cat Rescue

Post by r.m.anderson »

Put some shag scrap pieces of carpet on the shipping tube for them to have something to scratch rather than something more cherished.
Lace it with cat-nip and enjoy the show or have a laser light chasing event.

Bless your heart for taking care of them - two things that will put a dent in your kitty budget - 1 is cat food and 2 kitty litter.
They don't need fancy feast but canned seafood should be good for their finicky taste.
Hopefully they can all get along using a common litter box - probably not - but buy cheap gravel and change it often - country cats
don't need scented baking powder pampered clumping stuff.

I have kitty-sat my cousins cats when she is away for awhile - after awhile they come around - yeah dis be the guy that feeds us and
changes our stuff and sometimes gets our little motors purring ! He's a good time charlie !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We have three cats, all pedigree Bengals, that are used for breeding as well as pets. April currently has four kittens, 3 girls and a boy. Champagne and Starlet are daughters to April and have had a batch of 7 kittens between them who have just gone to my daughters for selling. April is very timid but lovable and Champagne would bully the other two if we let her. Starlet is independent. None are lap cats, Bengals in general aren't, but they are affectionate in their own way.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I like animals in general but I'm definitely a cat-man. And the cats know it.
With my partner for 15 year we had two cats and they were fighting for a spot on my lap. I could train them to share the place but their heads were at opposite ends.
Here in the USA we started with two cats left over from 5. The heavy traffic past our front door took its toll. The male one ruled my lap.
P2080170q.jpg
After the male one died, the female cat took over. Or she is at my lap or she is behind me squeezed between my back and the back of the chair. She was also very interested in my woodworking up till the moment I started to make noise.
P1010084q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Cats :thumleft:

Over here at our place there's Maisie the female, and Mister X the male one. Maisie is black and white, but Mister is all black. The X in his name is because when he was a kitten, he was found with a broken pelvic bone. When that healed at the vet, he got X shaped rear legs.

He can jump and run like Charlie Chaplin, so it is a funny sight when you see him walk around. the house.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We keep 5 cats, all 'outside' . 2 barn cats never socialize with the 2 garage cats and none of them know our 'studio' cat, very large, male and cared for by our tenant in that place about 200 yards away from the house.

One rash family member some years ago now, drove her car up the drive injuring one of our cats, caught unawares. Our Vet advised keeping her (Not the daughter!) in a catbox confined for about 6-8 weeks, fed & watered of course. The logic being that any injurious movement would not be attempted by the cat, as it elicited pain and the broken bones would heal in that time.
Hey Presto, it worked, and that cat is now very strong, but old.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kirbstone wrote:We keep 5 cats, all 'outside' . 2 barn cats never socialize with the 2 garage cats and none of them know our 'studio' cat, very large, male and cared for by our tenant in that place about 200 yards away from the house.

One rash family member some years ago now, drove her car up the drive injuring one of our cats, caught unawares. Our Vet advised keeping her (Not the daughter!) in a catbox confined for about 6-8 weeks, fed & watered of course. The logic being that any injurious movement would not be attempted by the cat, as it elicited pain and the broken bones would heal in that time.
Hey Presto, it worked, and that cat is now very strong, but old.

Tom
So that is how a cat uses one of it's lives - an exercise in self-healing !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

r.m.anderson wrote:So that is how a cat uses one of it's lives - an exercise in self-healing !
I have known cats with more than nine lives. There was one that lived next door when I lived in the city. He never learned that pit bulls don't like cats at all. And he would go into the dogs fenced yard and play catch me if you can with the dog. He lost several times a week. Looking like for all intents and purposes a dead cat, with all kinds of cuts and such, always managing to escape before death. He lived over six years before he was shot by a teen ager with a pellet gun and killed. I do believe the dog missed him as he would go to the area of the fence and watch.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.