Do you like to cook????

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Do you like to cook????

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I love to cook and have some really nice recipes that I like to share. Do you have a recipe that you enjoy and would like to share this also includes drink recipes.

Here is one I like:

Apple Stuffed Chicken Breast

Ingredients

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup chopped apple
2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Italian-style dried bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions

Combine apple, cheese, and bread crumbs. Set aside.
Flatten chicken breasts between sheets of waxed paper to 1/4 inch thickness. Divide apple mixture between chicken breasts, and roll up each breast. Secure with toothpicks.
Melt butter or margarine in a 7 inch skillet over medium heat. Brown stuffed chicken breasts. Add wine and 1/4 cup water. Cover. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Combine 1 tablespoon water and cornstarch; stir into juices in pan. Cook and stir until thickened. Pour gravy over chicken, and garnish with parsley. Serve.

Nutrition Facts

Per Serving: 139 calories; 5.1 g fat; 4.9 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 46 mg cholesterol; 120 mg sodium. Full nutrition

This is not that hard to make and is a fantastic meal.

Chef Fred :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Do you like to cook????

Post by beachlion »

Sounds nice.
I'm not much of a cook, so just for the record: is that 1/4 cup of water to wet the 1/4 cup of dry white wine?
;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

No I don't like to cook but I can provide my address and all of you that like to cook can do so than overnight ship it to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:Sounds nice.
I'm not much of a cook, so just for the record: is that 1/4 cup of water to wet the 1/4 cup of dry white wine?
;)
No it is to wet the chicken!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

It’s the cleaning up part that I don’t like.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:It’s the cleaning up part that I don’t like.
That is exactly my problem too.

For 15 year I had a partner that could cook like a chef. She was Italian and learned it from la mama. She also gave cooking lessons in a community center. I was chopping the onions, cooking patatoes because that is a Dutch speciality and stirred the pots and pans. And we had a dish washer. Was I spoiled!

Now in the USA, my wife can not cook. We don't have a dish washer. So I cook the few things I remember from my kitchen princess and try now and then something from the Internet. All with varying results.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

NO. The grandmother of my grandchildren continues to magic delicious repasts daily from simple ingredients, most of which come from her kitchen garden.
We're into soups & broths from previous dishes, fish and white meat mostly with cooked veg. or salads and seasonal fruits for puddings. She is mistress of the AGA (oil) and adjacent cooker which has electric ovens and a(propane) gas hob, and while she's busy in the 'Control Room' I must disappear...usually up the other end to thump my piano, then I get stick for not laying the table. You can't win, y'know.

Wintertime we normally eat in our large kitchen, which has an open fire over opposite the AGA and a large central table. Most times though, we eat in the Garden Room, a large glass conservatory adjoining. Summertime we eat on the terrace outside that, overlooking the formal part of the garden.
Formal dining, e.g. Christmas Dinner is held in our quite small dining room, decorated mostly in Burgundy for late evening dinner parties.

We got a shock early this year. We held a Bridge-dinner-Bridge evening for twelve.....three tables. During the dinner the guy seated two away from me in that dining room suffered a stroke!. We shunted him into the hall and called an ambulance, which took nearly 20 minutes to arrive. They packed him away to Hospital in their collapsible chair and his wife followed in their car. Very fortunately he got the right treatment quickly and he has made a full recovery. That had nothing to do with MOH's cooking, but it is testimony that she can entertain with consummate ease.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Two very Good recipes for you to try or have your better half make for you!! :lol:

Marilyn's Slaw

Ingredients:
2 lbs. coleslaw mix [cabbage mix]
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup salad oil
1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
1 ts celery salt
1/4 cup finely chopped onions --optional in dressing

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients except cabbage mix.

2. Pour over cabbage mix

3. Mix well and refrigerate

4. Stir a few times before serving.

5. Slaw best if made several hours before serving. Make day before for best results and taste.

Cole Slaw mix can be bought in your local super mark up in the produce section. Be sure to check the dates on the bags for the freshest.

Dave's Horseradish

Horseradish roots
Vinegar
Kosher salt

Every Spring, for the Easter/Passover season, I make gallons of prepared horseradish for my family and friends. My horseradish has a reputation for being the strongest kick-ass root available. Anyone, though, can make root that can stand up to mine...if you use my instructions. <g>

Selecting the root: Bring a small knife with you to the supermarket. Pick up every root you're considering buying and give it a squeeze. If it's limp, feels fleshy or flaccid, or wrinkled, forget it. Select only fresh roots that feel rather heavy for their size and are as hard as wood. Use the knife to pare off a thin bit of the root and pop it in your mouth. Bite down on it. If it makes your lip and tongue go numb and tingly, it's good. Don't buy it if it's weak, or if it leaves a bitter quinine aftertaste (the bitterness will be magnified by grinding.)

Preparation: Set up a table in front of a window. Open up the window and set up a fan to blow air OUT the window. Horseradish fumes are crippling and you will NOT be able to do this without pulling the fumes out the window. By exhausting air out rather than blowing in, you can even do this on a chilly night when you might otherwise not want a window open.

On the window table put your food processor. If you can run your processor with both the shredding blade in the top and the puree knives in the bottom, great. Set it up that way. If not, you'll have two steps (grating and pureeing) instead of one. Next to the processor, still in front of the window, put a large bowl. That's where the ground root will go. Close at hand (maybe on the kitchen table) put the jars where the root will be packed, a large bottle of vinegar, and your salt.

Step 1: Wash and peel. Put all the roots into the sink and start running a thin stream of cold water. Get them all wet and let them sit a few minutes to soften the dirt on them. With a stiff bristle brush, give them a good scrubbing under the stream of water. When they're clean, use a veggie peeler to pare off the brown skin and green tops (if they have green tops. You can cut the top inch off the root, leaving the greens alone, if you like, and plant them in your backyard if you want to grow your own.) Do the peeling under the running water, also. Keeping the water drizzling over the root while you peel carries off some of the volatile chemical, saving your life while you work in the sink. <g>

Step 2: Grate and Grind. Bring the peeled roots over to the window table and turn the fan and your food processor on. Feed them down the chute to the grating wheel. The top wheel will grate the root, and the bottom knives will do the fine chopping (if you can't run both knives in your machine at once, you will have to grate each bowl full of root, then put the chopping knife in to finish separately.) As the root gets finer and finer, it will begin sticking to the sides and bottom of the bowl. Slowly, and with the processor still running, pour in vinegar to get a thick but not sticky consistency. Continue to whirl in the bottom knives for several minutes, until the root bits are very very fine. Stop the processor and dump the processor bowl into the large bowl. Repeat these steps until all the roots are grated, ground, and in the large bowl. Remember to keep the fan on all this time! When all the roots have been processed, rinse the processor knives and bowl with cold running water. Wash them as necessary. Put the processor away or aside. You'll need the space on the table in front of the fan to pack the jars.

Step 3: Seasoning. You've still got that fan running, right? Leave the bowl in front of the fan. The grated root in the bowl should not be too dry. Stir in enough vinegar to give a smooth consistency. Taste a little bit of the puree (be careful! This is likely to be the strongest horseradish you've ever tasted.) If you think it needs salt, add some Kosher salt or canning salt. I usually add about half a teaspoon per quart.

Step 4: Packing. Use a ladle and a canning funnel to fill pint jars with the prepared horseradish. Fill the jars up, cap them off, and put them in the fridge. Do not process the jars. Keep them refrigerated. You may turn off the fan after all the jars are full and after all implements have been rinsed. The horseradish will maintain full potency for a couple of weeks (I make mine no more than a week or so before Easter) but will still be pretty damn strong for a month or two. Use it before it turns brown.

Cleaning up: Most of your tools (the bowls, ladle, etc) will require little more than a good rinse with cold water first (to neutralize and dilute any horseradish fumes) then hot water, since you aren't cutting any greasy fat.

That's it; that's how to make horseradish.

Dave Sacerdote

Enjoy!

Fred
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For those of you that like to partake of a fine little drop here is a very good one.

Cherry Rumtini

2 parts fine rum, such as Zaya
1 part Amaretto (I use Disaronno Originale, which also happens to be made in Italy)
Shake vigorously with ice in cocktail shaker
Pour over 3 cherries in about a teaspoon of their juice, and stir.

A coup;e of these and you will not feel a thing!!! :pint: :toast: :pint:

Fred
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've got one for you, from grandma, who wrote it down for me, and is always a hit when I serve it. It's a good simple recipe that doesn't requires a hundred dollars worth of herbs and spices and other exotic ingredients:

Chicken broccoli casserole:

1 boneless chicken breast
2 small cans of cream of chicken soup
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup whole milk
2 bags of broccoli florets (frozen) (about 30oz +/- total)
8 oz finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
half a bag (7oz) of herb seasoned stuffing
I stick of margarine

Bake a boneless chicken breast at 350 for about 45 minutes to cook it.
Take it out and let it cool, then cut it up into little pieces.

Boil the broccoli in large pot until just tender (not fully cooked)

In a large bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, and milk.

Melt the margarine in a small pot (low heat)

Dump the cooked broccoli, chicken pieces, and bowl of cream of chicken mixture in a casserole dish. Put in about 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Mix it up good and pat it down flat with the large spoon. Layer the other half of the cheddar over top, then spread the stuffing out over the dish. Sprinkle the margarine over the stuffing as evenly as possible.

Put the whole thing in the oven for 45 minutes at 350. When it's done let it cool down a bit and serve.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Can't remember where this came from, but when I want chilli, this is always the one I brew, well tasty! sorry about my terminology, I can translate if required! Oh and for my taste, the sweetness of the red pepper beats the bitterer green pepper taste.

Chilli con Carnage:

500 g minced beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pepper, chopped (red or green)
2 to 4 cloves garlic, crushed
140g tin tomato puree plus good squidge of tomato sauce
400g tin red kidney beans, drained
2 rats-poo chillies (Those tiny dried red ones), ground with a club & bowl
2 bay leaves
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp each sugar, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, dried thyme, marjoram and oregano plus chilli powder if desired
3 oz mushrooms if wanted.
Fresh coriander, chopped
Worcester sauce,
stock cube

Method
Fry mince with no extra fat until it starts to go a bit brown and crispy round the edges. Remove to a plate. Fry the onion in olive oil until softish (5-10 mins). Put the mince and onion into a casserole or saucepan, along with enough water to cover, and add the garlic, herbs, spices, Worcester sauce and stock cube. Cook (simmer) for about 20 mins. Add the tomato puree, sauce, chopped pepper and kidney beans, mushrooms and cook gently for a further 15 mins. Serve topped with grated cheese and chopped coriander. It makes a great filling for a baked potato and goes well with a heap of chips (fries?)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Here is one for those Ice Cream lovers out there:
EASY CHOCOLATE-CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM

2 CUPS WHIPPING CREAM
7 OZ (2/3 CUP) SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
2/3 CUP CHOCOLATE FLAVORED SYRUP
1/2 CUP MINITURE SEMISWEET CHOCLATE PIECES.

IN A LARGE MIXER BOWL COMBINE WHIPPING CREAM, SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK AND CHOCOLATE SYRUP. BEAT WITH AN ELECTRIC MIXER ON MEDIUM SPEED UNTIL SOFT PEAKS FORM (ABOUT 10 MIN.). FOLD IN CHOCOLATE PIECES.

TRANSFER MIXTURE TO AN 8 X 8 X 2 INCH PAN. COVER AND FREEZE ABOUT 6 HOURS OR UNTIL FIRM. MAKES 10 TO 12 SERVINGS.

OR USE A 2 TO 4 QUART ELECTRIC OR HAND-CRANKED ICE CREAM CHURN TO MAKE THIS DELIGHTFUL TREAT.

I can attest it tastes good too!!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Chilli-con-carnage, B&B:

Fine for me without most if the chilli and with NONE of the beans. I hate 'em.

Fred, Choc-chip ice cream sounds wonderful and I'd happily devour 6 of those 12 helpings

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Kirby, that recipe is very tasty, not hot unless you add lots of chilli powder, or a few drops of "Da Bomb", ooh that stuff is HOT! The ice cream sounds like a good follow up!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Quick Tuna Casserole
(Stove-Top style)

In 1 pot, put 8 oz of small shell/elbow pasta.
Fill with water to an inch above pasta, completely covering pasta.
Bring to boil, thoroughly cooking pasta.
Drain, slightly.
Add –
1 can Tuna, drained.
1 can Sweet Peas, drained
1 can Mushrooms(bits & pieces) drained.
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Stir until well blended.
The heat from the cooked pasta will warm everything else.
The odd-bit of water remaining will blend with the soup.
Add a bit of salt & pepper to taste.
(For a change of pace use Italian Seasoning)

Enjoy :!:

(Clean-up is 1 pot.)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)