Rain!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Rain!

Post by denimini »

Not really anything to do with skirts but I can't contain my excitement - we had 12.8mm of rain today. This is the best rain we have had for 2018. Even the truck drivers stuck in town with their road trains weren't complaining that they couldn't make their deliveries.
The weather is begining to warm up enough to start wearing my new minis that I bought on eBay during winter, tried them on but looking forward to experiencing the practicalities and aesthetics longer term.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Rain!

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:Not really anything to do with skirts but I can't contain my excitement - we had 12.8mm of rain today. This is the best rain we have had for 2018.
Wow, you do live in a dry climate! In one 24-hour period late last month we managed to accumulate 54.4mm of rain.
The weather is begining to warm up enough to start wearing my new minis that I bought on eBay during winter [...]
Predictably, that's just about the time that it starts to cool off here and I'm finding that I'm opting for heavier stuff now more than the flyweight stuff I tend to wear in the summer. My short skirts are getting set to be relegated to the back of the closet.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Be glad you don't live in NW England. They get the weather fresh from the Atlantic, assuming it misses Ireland first. The old joke that an Unidentified Flying Object was seen over Manchester yesterday which was later identified as the sun. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Sinned wrote:Be glad you don't live in NW England. They get the weather fresh from the Atlantic, assuming it misses Ireland first. The old joke that an Unidentified Flying Object was seen over Manchester yesterday which was later identified as the sun. :lol:
Lol! There was always the saying that irony was invented in Manchester...always raining, but they charge for water...
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Denimini, you're lucky to be entering your summer! This side of the ball we are heading into another cold, damp foggy winter.

Bloody depressing, especially as my skirts are away for the duration..
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Come on Brit Kid....you must think positively ......start a wardrobe of warmer skirts for the winter, with a nice long Winter Coat.
Charity Shops are a good place to search for new to you clothes. search four charity shops in half a day...great fun.
Today I am wearing a summer skirt over a thick skirt ..Like many others I go for skirts with elasticated waist bands.
I will admit that It does take time to sort out a nice skirt outfit...........
Two skirts , two sweaters and a male sports jacket today.........Just replace your trousers with a nice warm skirt........weeladdie
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

300 den thermal tights, plus longish denim skirt plus high boots equals warm as toast ( for the really cold weather). Go down to 150 den for slightly warmer weather, lol.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Saturday rain report....Please excuse my Cornish Measurement System.......
As an immigrant I am not familiar with the M.K.S. system....The rain in my rain gauge still tastes like the old school imperial rain
so I will say that we have had less than 3 inches of rain recently.
It was raining at 0330 this morning but had stopped by 1300 Hrs.....The weather improved and the sun came out until it
disappeared into a ragged sunset. Plenty of wind ....p.m..... with fast moving clouds from the North

A bit cooler today ...1700 hrs..... 12 C......two sweaters and a wind proof sailing jacket ..............weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, it has rained here within living memory. Older people remember it well, but since April this year we have had little more than a cupful and water table levels everywhere are at record low levels.
We live in a boggy area and all our local roads have developed marked subsidence undulations and longitudinal cracks scores of meters long. Where our boathouse is on our own little lake there is now just muddy bottom and on our local (Blessington) reservoir lake the level is so low that one must walk a racing shell down the gravel beach below the normal slips and into the soft squelchy mire beyond that to reach the water. No fun at all.

Very fortunately there is little traffic movement on the Grand canal and water levels at Tullamore today were normal as the locks are not opened very often.
We had a totally cloudless almost still day, if a bit cool (11 deg C.) and I didn't wait around to hear the results as I had to pack up and go home shortly after my Noon row. They were timed to occur every two hours, so lots of people hadn't yet had their 'fling' when I left.

I recall my Mother while we were down on holiday in Kerry ask a local what the weather was going to do, whereupon he replied: 'Now ma'am, there'll be showers allright, but there'll be no RAIN !!' A distinction there.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

denimini wrote:Not really anything to do with skirts but I can't contain my excitement - we had 12.8mm of rain today. This is the best rain we have had for 2018. Even the truck drivers stuck in town with their road trains weren't complaining that they couldn't make their deliveries.
The weather is begining to warm up enough to start wearing my new minis that I bought on eBay during winter, tried them on but looking forward to experiencing the practicalities and aesthetics longer term.
Considering you purchase on E.Bay, ....how successful do you consider your purchases to be ....I have found that off the peg sizing
does vary from store to store . I usually measure my skirts in store before trying them on....for example ; I usually wear a UK. 12
but the required label sizing might be a 10 or 14......Non elasticated waistbands are a bit of a problem with a loss much physical activity
due to another knee injury.....these sizings change at 2 inch increments.

The only E bay activity I have experienced is with Government Surplus Military Kilts. I Ring up the supplier and their staff will check their
tape measure sizes against the government contractor garment size labels.....

One of the problems is that the incorrect lable is sewn into the garment and the garments are sold to dealers as scrap stock
Much of this years new fashion lines In the supermarkets is coming from Turkey. Sometimes difficult to buy in a label size which matches
my tape measured imperial size in inches......weeladdie
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

weeladdie18 wrote:Come on Brit Kid....you must think positively ......start a wardrobe of warmer skirts for the winter, with a nice long Winter Coat.
Charity Shops are a good place to search for new to you clothes. search four charity shops in half a day...great fun.
Today I am wearing a summer skirt over a thick skirt ..Like many others I go for skirts with elasticated waist bands.
I will admit that It does take time to sort out a nice skirt outfit...........
Two skirts , two sweaters and a male sports jacket today.........Just replace your trousers with a nice warm skirt........weeladdie
I've tried all that weeladdie, I just can't get on with it...I only feel comfortable in a skirt if it's above the knee, and I'm bare legged. I also really feel the cold, so it looks like I'm a fair weather skirter....
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

bridkid wrote:I also really feel the cold, so it looks like I'm a fair weather skirter....
This is fine, and there's nothing wrong with it, but it does rather limit one.

I can aver that long skirts can be quite warm in the wintertime, but if they're not a style you like they're not a style you like. That said, however, don't discount the notion out-if-hand; give it an honest go and see if it grows on you. If it does, good, you'll have a decent look for colder days; if it doesn't, you've lost precisely nothing.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

weeladdie18 wrote: Considering you purchase on eBay, ....how successful do you consider your purchases to be ....I have found that off the peg sizing
does vary from store to store . I usually measure my skirts in store before trying them on....for example ; I usually wear a UK. 12
but the required label sizing might be a 10 or 14......Non elasticated waistbands are a bit of a problem with a loss much physical activity
due to another knee injury.....these sizings change at 2 inch increments.

The only E bay activity I have experienced is with Government Surplus Military Kilts. I Ring up the supplier and their staff will check their
tape measure sizes against the government contractor garment size labels.....

One of the problems is that the incorrect lable is sewn into the garment and the garments are sold to dealers as scrap stock
Much of this years new fashion lines In the supermarkets is coming from Turkey. Sometimes difficult to buy in a label size which matches
my tape measured imperial size in inches......weeladdie
Many eBay sellers give the flat measurements and if not I will ask for them before I bid, unless it is a brand I know well. The measurements are usually accurate. I would say I have at least a 90% success rate.
So far I have found eBay to be the best source of interesting and unusual skirts but you have to keep looking, which is time consuming but entertaining.
There seems to be a greater number of skirts I like in the US and Germany but postage cost and exchange rate are the deal breakers.
I can't say I have ever seen a skirt I like sold as current stock in a store. I have bought quite a bit in charity stores, which are cheaper than eBay but a long way from me to visit and an opportunity I only get if I am travelling somewhere.
I usually fit a UK size 10 or 12, sometimes an 8 and rarely a 14. Surely they could take a leaf from an engineering book and use actual measurements.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Since it has rained all day today, I thought I would check yhe annual rainfall figure for a place I used to work, just a few miles away from my house. 1491 mm annual rainfall. Hmm! that amount of rain and midges as well, how did kilts catch on?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Big and Bashful wrote:Since it has rained all day today, I thought I would check yhe annual rainfall figure for a place I used to work, just a few miles away from my house. 1491 mm annual rainfall. Hmm! that amount of rain and midges as well, how did kilts catch on?
Here in Phoenix, AZ, we've had 6.5" (16.5 cm) of rain so far this year.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron