Question for admin.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
bridkid

Question for admin.

Post by bridkid »

Please help! I'm trying to upload a pic for my profile, but the pic I want to use is too big. It was taken on my iPhone and imported onto my pc, however I can't find how to shrink it to an acceptable size.

Anyone out there can help me with this? Many thanks in advance...
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Question for admin.

Post by crfriend »

There's a good explanation of the process at the top of the "Pics and Looks" section. Avatars must be even smaller than normal attachments, so crop the image carefully and resize it to 80x80 pixels.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have used irfanview for years to manipulate digital images and it's easy to resize photos to below the 256k limit and it's FREE.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've been using iPhoto Plus for about as long as I've been on a computer. It came with a scanner I got back in the late 90's and have been using it ever since. It's programed to run on Windows 3.X, and has to go through quite a few compatibility tweaks to get it to run on my current machine. But it still works for the most part.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

moonshadow wrote:I've been using iPhoto Plus for about as long as I've been on a computer. It came with a scanner I got back in the late 90's and have been using it ever since. It's programed to run on Windows 3.X, and has to go through quite a few compatibility tweaks to get it to run on my current machine. But it still works for the most part.
WOW !

LINK: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -evolution

First there was Windows 1
then Windows 2
thence Windows 3
and Windows 3.1
Windows 3.11 for work groups
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME Millennium Edition
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8 BOO BAD STUFF
Windows 8.1
Windows 9 - MS went off it trolly into the Great Void
Windows 10

After all that - Moonshadow is still producing first edition photos ! WOW !

Yes the posting of pictures here leaves much to be desired.
I dislike using third party software.
I don't like making alterations to the existing working architectural of my platform.
Change is not me !
My Sony DSR camera cranks out photos in 24MP and HD Video and is complicated enough trying to reduce content.
So much for point shoot and post with ease formats.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:Windows 9 - MS went off it trolly into the Great Void
I am given to understand that Microsoft -- entirely by accident, mind -- managed to produce a wonderfully usable and reliable system in that release similar to ones that were extant in the 1970s and 1980s which were a pure joy to use and interact with, and which were generally quite secure. Of course, that can't do for M$ and they scrapped in favour of a warmed-over Windwoes 8.

I think that the last really viable version of Windows "NT" [0] was Windwoes 7 -- which had its own share of warts. The earliest versions of Windwoes were MS/DOS overlays, the first version of NT (a purloined version of the next generation of DEC's venerable VMS operating system [1]) was Windows NT 3.5.1 (which was bug-for-bug compatible with VMS 3.1) which represented the first time that M$ tried to field a real OS. That one was a steaming pile.
Yes the posting of pictures here leaves much to be desired.
Disk space is still not free, nor is bandwidth. When I joined Skirt Cafe in the early 2000s I was still using a 56kb/s dialup with a backup 14.4 modem. Loading a multi-megabyte file was an adventure in prolonged boredom during which the link was unusable for much else; thus lies your humble admin's aversion to obese images. Posts with multiple externally-linked large images take some time to load even on the 6 Mb/s pipe I have now -- and they hog the link when downloading.
I dislike using third party software.
Get over it. Most software is, whether it's marketed under the OS name or not.

[0] "NT" (New Technology) was a misnomer from the get-go. Not only wasn't it "new" (the technology of the OS dates to 1977), it wasn't even particularly advanced "technology" for the day, VMS 3 having been released in 1982.
[1] I'd arrived at this conclusion in the mid '90s long before the full horror had been unveiled. Needless to say I was horrified by the resurgence of bugs that should have been slain in the previous decade. Yet -- here they were again. The reason for history repeating itself this time? M$ had hired the guy who designed VMS in the first place -- and in keeping with the evolution of VMS, it took about 2 to 3 major versions after the architect was "moved to bigger and better things" for the result to settle down into something mature and stable. (In NT's case, it'd be NT 5, which corresponds to VMS 5 perfectly and was the first actually useful VMS. NT 5 was under the covers of XP.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!