The little joys of life...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

The little joys of life...

Post by moonshadow »

A "just for fun" thread.... What are some if the little daily things that give you joy and happiness?

I'll start....

Wondering if there will be enough milk left and finding out there is just enough for your cereal.

Seeing a pin of you show up on your Pinterest feed that someone else pinned.

When something very painful finally stops hurting (this can be emotional or physical)

Just enough ice cream for one more bowl

When the cat falls asleep on your lap

Seeing Jenn smile (my wife) when I get home from work

A full tank of gas and...

... a beautiful Saturday off!

An old song on the radio that takes you back to a pleasant memory

A good clear view on a high mountain

And of course... that perfect thrift store skirt find that fits just right....

More to come...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: The little joys of life...

Post by beachlion »

I had a few too.

I was plowing my walkway in the backgarden and some lumps of snow stuck to the pavement. I became annoyed a little but looking back, the sun was already melting them.

Plowing warmed me up and with 7C (45F) i felt it time for a skirt. And I could walk around in a snow covered place and feel really comfortable.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

What gives joy and/or happiness on any given day? That's hard to say because the options are so vast and varied that the imagination boggles.

Music always does for me -- whether it's the aching sadness of Barber's Adagio for Strings, the outright romp of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, or the feelings evoked by Abba's The Way Old Friends Do. So much music and so little time to enjoy it.

Here are a few more:
  • Discovering that you're not out of beer. Even better is finding that you have a 6-pack of Arrogant Bastard in the fridge when things at work have been ratty for a few days.
  • Getting up The Hill after a day of snow because it warmed up and the snow melted.
  • Finding out that you only owe about $900 in taxes instead of over $2,000.
  • Knowing that you have several computers older than much of the current population of the planet that still work whenever you turn the key.
  • Having a warm safe place to sleep.
  • Having a cat handy when one needs a "cat fix".
  • Wildlife in the vicinity. This includes carnivores.
  • The ability to see, know, and understand what photographers term "beautiful light".
  • Harpsichords.
  • Clothes that feel good on, and make one feel good for wearing them.
  • Memories of great things -- and pictures to back those memories up.
  • The ability to read, think, and reason.
  • Rainbows on a summer day following a shower. Double-rainbows are more than twice as good.
  • Knowing that a complex set of high-stakes tasks went off precisely as you scripted them.
  • Wildflowers.
There are more, of course, and the lesson is that no matter what we have in life there are always things to cherish and cling to even when stuff goes horribly, terribly, wrong.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Switching on a tube-amplifier built from a kit without any smoke or shorts and working nicely even with a few mistakes in the manual.

As a big city boy from the Netherlands seeing squirls and rabbits running in your garden and birds flocking around the bird feeder after filling it with seeds.

Or as today to be able to be out in a skirt with a foot of snow around you.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

One of the joys at present is bringing up 7 kittens that are about 4 or 5 weeks old. Seeing them starting to play and sleep in one big huddle. Seeing them dive feet first into a big flat plate of food and trough away, emerging with fur streaked with gravy. Then submit to the indignity of being cleaned [0]. Seeing them run up to you for a cuddle when you appear because you've spent time with them and they don't know any better.

[0] They aren't old enough yet to realise that they have to clean themselves.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:A "just for fun" thread.... What are some if the little daily things that give you joy and happiness?

I'll start....

Wondering if there will be enough milk left and finding out there is just enough for your cereal.

Seeing a pin of you show up on your Pinterest feed that someone else pinned.

When something very painful finally stops hurting (this can be emotional or physical)

Just enough ice cream for one more bowl

When the cat falls asleep on your lap

Seeing Jenn smile (my wife) when I get home from work

A full tank of gas and...

... a beautiful Saturday off!

An old song on the radio that takes you back to a pleasant memory

A good clear view on a high mountain

And of course... that perfect thrift store skirt find that fits just right....

More to come...
Aww that's sweet Moon
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Discovering it is not Monday (6 days a week)
Putting on a mini skirt first thing.
Having breakfast on the verandah which consists of serious coffee and toast and marmalade.
Watching the 7pm news (no joy there) compensated by a glass of red wine with rice crackers and gorgonzola cheese.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hearing the announcement that my Bridge partner and I had won the President's Prize at our local club and celebrating it afterwards with a delicious Pint at the pub opposite.
Preparing for a trip to Kerry tomorrow, skirted all the way, also a trip over to the UK (Wells, Somerset) towing a boat next Thursday/Friday, also skirted all the way......

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

When the temperature gets up in such a way that you don't have to think when starting your day if it is warm enough to wear a skirt but which skirt to wear.

Already thinking of the time you put the screens in the stormdoors and be able to walk in and out without putting a coat on.

To see a few tulips, no one knows who planted them, grow day by day and suddenly show their intense red flowers some morning.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Beating Fritz 16 (Beginner Mode) in a game of chess without peeking or taking back a move.

As part of the above, watching my "rating" increase as I notice tactical opportunities and combinations I would not have noticed before I started seriously playing the Fritz program (in Coach mode).

Getting my new "private" email address set up on a ProtonMail (with ProtonVPN) subscription.

Getting my new "public" email address up and running.

Getting a 33Mail forwarder set up: I have a "domain" xy23 for instance. I am shopping online or at a store and applying for a store credit card...and an email address is requested: I say: kohls@xy23.33mail.com - it will be forwarded to my "public" email - and I can even reply as coming from that same email "address". If they behave themselves, all is well. If they start sending mass quantities of mail and become bothersome....or if they sell that address to someone else...I push a button and kill that alias, and take my business elsewhere.

Meeting friends at a local restaurant while dressed in a red long-sleeved turtleneck, black straight-skirt (back zipper) over beige support hose with my black shoes, and grey jacket, with a black shoulder bag...with no comments or looks from anyone my friends or I could see. Everything I was wearing came from across the aisle.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Double decker....

When the time of year finally arrives when it's time to put in the window AC unit. Granted the task itself isn't exactly fun, especially when we're dealing with a 20,000 BTU 220 volt behemoth, but the ritual signifies something special for summer lovers like myself:

It's the longest possible time before the AC unit comes out again in the autumn!

And then there's the smell it makes when you first power it on, and you hear that compressor kick in and it starts pumping that chilled air that smells of ozone.... aaaahhhhhh...... You open your collar and let it blow down your chest.

And finally, the last phase of the mid spring ritual.... the valve on the gas tank for the heater is shut off, and the heater itself will be retired for the season. What follows is about six months of swimming holes, green foliage, short skirts, sun shades, YES! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I was planning to do this after the coming week-end, after the mothers day buzz. The furnace is already switched off. Once a month I switch it on and let it heat up to keep the dust from the machine. I also put my flanel shirts in the closet and replaced the space with the short sleeve shirts. Monday I will replace the glass panels in the storm doors with screens. And the last step will be the air conditioner. I can handle the heat quite well as long as I don't have to work too hard. My wife is not that heat resistant so she needs the A/C to stay in a positive mood.
It is indeed a little joy to make the switch. When I have to reverse this in the fall, it is more a sad occasion. Winter is coming. :thumbdown:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Happiness is....

Sitting in your warm living room on a cold winters day...
... in your long heavy tie-die skirt...
... with a cat sleeping in your lap...
... and another on your shoulder kissing your nose....
... and a whole day and a half before you have to report back to work....

Indeed... happiness..
01052043.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Funny is...

... the realization that I have a Lois Griffin nose.... (I'm not used to seeing myself in profile) :lol:
lois-griffin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That's a jolly fine nose, Moon and it looks its best in profile.

At a gathering of old German friends recently we joked about our best side, or profile and a lady told me about her 'shokoladen Seite', or chocolate side! Nice expression, I thought.

As primarily a dog lover I walk our new young German Shepherd most days when there is a bit of daylight and sing all my funny party songs to him, so he knows them all by now. ( several are by Tom Lehrer) But when he starts singing (howling) in the night he can't get his tongue around any of the songs I taught him :blue:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !