Shopping at Redner's

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Shopping at Redner's

Post by beachlion »

@Moonshadow. Last Saturday I noticed for the first time equipment from your new company. Normally my attention is with the ladies behind the counter of the deli but this time only guys. And then I saw 2 slicers in the back. The next thought was that I could wear a skirt while I was watching you having to do servicing in pants. There must be something wrong in this world. ;)

Congratulations with your new job. I know what it is to work for a company that makes you feel to be a member of a large family. As we say in the Netherlands, you don't go to work with lead in your shoes.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Shopping at Redner's

Post by crfriend »

Given Moon's chosen work milieu, I can certainly see the point in the restrictions on clothing, and even down to flame-retardant clothing. I know that if I was doing that I'd be so attired no matter what my preference is off-the-clock. Cuts, dings, and burns in flesh are no fun at all. For instance, even in my fairly clean an non-obnoxious field if I know I'm going to be crawling around on the floor pulling cables or some other bit of manual labour I will wear trousers out of choice.

On the note of a close-knit company, I know the virtues of those very well indeed from experience. Most aren't. If Moon's is, he should cherish that and treat it like solid gold. I like the Dutch comment about lead in one's shoes. It rings nicely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote:Given Moon's chosen work milieu, I can certainly see the point in the restrictions on clothing, and even down to flame-retardant clothing. I know that if I was doing that I'd be so attired no matter what my preference is off-the-clock. Cuts, dings, and burns in flesh are no fun at all. For instance, even in my fairly clean an non-obnoxious field if I know I'm going to be crawling around on the floor pulling cables or some other bit of manual labour I will wear trousers out of choice.

On the note of a close-knit company, I know the virtues of those very well indeed from experience. Most aren't. If Moon's is, he should cherish that and treat it like solid gold. I like the Dutch comment about lead in one's shoes. It rings nicely.
With 35 year in shipbuilding, I'm a fanatic on safety. I have seen too many bloody things, I still have my guard up. I still walk up or down stairs with one hand at the railing.

The Dutch have a lot of silly sayings. They are getting more silly when translated. More about shoes: He was so proud of himself, he walked beside his shoes.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

beachlion wrote: Last Saturday I noticed for the first time equipment from your new company.
Yep, you'll see their equipment the world over! I think over in Europe they even work in residences, but I may be mistaken.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Hobart is active in Europe. I'm not sure if they are available for private persons. They have a branch office in the Netherlands. http://www.hobartnederland.nl/

For years we had a good Dutch company, Van Berkel, but it is now part of a bigger US company. If you want to grow, eat the competition.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For those of you that have a Kitchen Aid mixer in your kitchen, you can thank Hobart for that. They no longer make the home mixer but have sold it to another company that kept the name and pretty much the quality too.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I think that, in the UK at least, the Hobart name is only seen in commercial kitchens - whether there are other brand names that appear domestically may be another story, but I am not familiar with it.