Honorifics

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Honorifics

Post by Ralph »

crfriend wrote:put it over a P.A. system, on the other hand, and it becomes gibberish (unless there's only one "Mike" working there).
Well, there you'd have to use first and last names for clarity.
"Mike Hunt is needed in Human Resources. Will someone please find Mike Hunt?"

El Barto Strikes Again
Ralph!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ralph wrote:
crfriend wrote:put it over a P.A. system, on the other hand, and it becomes gibberish (unless there's only one "Mike" working there).
Well, there you'd have to use first and last names for clarity.
"Mike Hunt is needed in Human Resources. Will someone please find Mike Hunt?"

El Barto Strikes Again
He is our Sheriff. He has been reelected 5 times as he is good and runs a tight ship in the department. So around here Mike Hunt has been found! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Fred in Skirts wrote:He is our Sheriff. He has been reelected 5 times as he is good and runs a tight ship in the department. So around here Mike Hunt has been found! :lol:
Google results for this sheriff of yours turned up the following responses:
Hmm.. just to get some of the jokes outta the way...
I love Mike Hunt. Mike Hunt's the best, I would vote for Mike Hunt anytime. Senior Citizens always seem to go for Mike Hunt. Mike Hunt really seems to appeal to the younger generation. Without Mike Hunt in this town, we'd all be lost. With Mike Hunt as Sheriff, we can all can live knowing that (county) is safe. A vote for Mike Hunt is a vote for a clean, safe city.

Headlines:
  • Mike Hunt Cleans Up (county)
  • Mike Hunt Keeps Criminals Off the Street
  • Citizens Love Mike Hunt
  • Mike Hunt Speaks on Courthouse Steps
  • Mike Hunt Volunteers at Homeless Shelter
  • Visiting Sailors Entertained by Mike Hunt
Mike Hunt has the ability to imprison up to 12 criminals in a single night.
Mike Hunt was Instrumental in Infiltrating Prostitution Ring, Says Mayor

Geez, stop making fun of the man! I can vouch for his character. Why, when I was a young girl I used to play with Mike Hunt every single day!
What were his parents thinking???
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote:What were his parents thinking???
I'm pretty sure his given name would have been "Michael", and I'm not sure if the "intrusion" of a nickname or a diminutive was necessarily considered. But, quite certainly, this one goes down as an unfortunate case.

That said, I'm also quite sure that it's toughened him up quite a bit. Viz A Boy Named Sue.

It has been said that my parents gave quite a bit of consideration to my given names, but hilariously, my initials cough up an inconsistency. I can either use all three names, or simply my first and last, but if I start getting fancy with combinations it may look good on paper, but when spoken comes out all wrong.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I don't appreciate being called "Bud", which is too familiar and must be short for "Buddy", which we are not. I prefer they use my name. I often introduce myself as (First and Last name). If we are not close friends I prefer "Mr." followed by my last name, especially if they are younger or during a business transaction.

I once did a business deal with a man who wanted me to call him "Mr. Smith" while he used my first name. It offended me that he placed himself in a superior position. It turned out that the deal failed because he ran out of money and expected me to forgive the debt, which was substantial. He actually tried to sue me and lost, and then appealed and he stiffed his lawyer. The lawyer attempted to settle if I paid the attorney fee. We refused and the guy disappeared.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I don't appreciate being called "Bud", which is too familiar and must be short for "Buddy", which we are not. I prefer they use my name. I often introduce myself as (First and Last name). If we are not close friends I prefer "Mr." followed by my last name, especially if they are younger or during a business transaction.
That's pretty close to my preference, except that I am fine with the more familiar reference by first name so long as we are familiar enough, which is somewhat short of "close friends". I also don't enforce it but rather lead by doing it myself.

And I introduce myself as "lastname, firstname lastname" following Mr. Bond's lead.

As for "buddy" (or "friend" and the like) I do find that a little presumptuous (and slightly denigrating) and I rarely do that myself. Curiously and inconsistently I don't mind females calling me "honey" or "sweetie" which is just the same, and which women of all ages will do with strangers. "Sir" works just fine for the purpose and even if I get accidentally misgendered "ma'am" would be fine too, since both are meant to be impersonal and respectful but not terribly formal. Police call everyone "sir" or "ma'am", and that seems to work out nicely.
Daryl...
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Daryl wrote:
stevelous wrote:Calling people Mr or Mrs is something I hate. I have a given name, forename or Christian name and it is by that I wish to be known. I do not want to hide behind false titles and I want to be me, imperfect, but me none the less.

I have found that 'officials' in local government, court officers and the like will always call them selves by Mr or Mrs to try to distance themselves from 'regular' people. To my mind this has a snob value, just like being called Sir X or Lady X who cares if they have a 'title' I do not!

So when I receive mail I just line to be addressed by my given name. Unless it is from an official source any letters with Mr in the title get shredded along with the other junk mail. Aren't I the rebel!
You are!

I rather like formal titles but then I don't live somewhere that the class system really meant very much. The "snob factor" in titles just isn't very real to me, and snobbishness is usually expressed in other ways too.

Of course that mail delivered to only your surname with an honorific in front of it is usually some kind of an attempt to get something out of you with faux respect.

Mr. Stevelous, this is to inform you that you have been named heir to the estate of one Sir Rich Guy in Nigeria. Please reply with your signature and banking information to collect 15 million US dollars that has been bequeathed to you.

We get so much junk mail addressed to Mr Lous and out of interest I open one and it contained a scam competition where I had 'won' £20000 and all I had to do was give my bank details. So as we say 'on yer bike' sadly some do fall victims to these things.

Normally Mr Lounds adressed letters are from quasi official sources and are again junk. If it is official then there will be a reconnisable return address. These I will open and deal with as and when.

As an aside our Post Office make most of their profit delivering junk mail passed through the bulk mailing system at much reduced postal rates, presorted for destination. It is with shame I admit my part in this some years ago thankfully I left before I sold my soul to the Government, who owned the Royal Mail at that time.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Daryl wrote: Police call everyone "sir" or "ma'am", and that seems to work out nicely.
Around here they call most of the people they arrest "dirt bag".
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Titles can be a problem on the job in America. I work with blue collar types who would have a real good time with mine. I have the legitimate honorific of being addressed as Sir (Taj) and my wife as Lady P. That's way too stuffy even for my management chain. I sometimes introduce us casually that way just to see the puzzled reaction as it's uncommon in the USA. Mostly I save it for within the Order.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Just remembered a strange situation regarding elected persons in local politics. Here we have a borough council, inept but thats another story, and the elected members are called Councilor and for men they are called plain councillor Smith, Jones or whatever their family name is. For unmarried female the same applies but married female councillors are called Councilor Mrs Smith, Jones or whatever. Stupid and as they have their names engraved on brass plaques expensive.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

stevelous wrote:Just remembered a strange situation regarding elected persons in local politics. Here we have a borough council, inept but thats another story, and the elected members are called Councilor and for men they are called plain councillor Smith, Jones or whatever their family name is. For unmarried female the same applies but married female councillors are called Councilor Mrs Smith, Jones or whatever. Stupid and as they have their names engraved on brass plaques expensive.
That's just daft. Daffy, even.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Daryl wrote: Police call everyone "sir" or "ma'am", and that seems to work out nicely.
Around here they call most of the people they arrest "dirt bag".
Heh, two syllables are best. Dickwad, dickhead, scumbag, etc..

I just recently saw a show called Reno 911. Pretty funny.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Taj wrote:Titles can be a problem on the job in America. I work with blue collar types who would have a real good time with mine. I have the legitimate honorific of being addressed as Sir (Taj) and my wife as Lady P. That's way too stuffy even for my management chain. I sometimes introduce us casually that way just to see the puzzled reaction as it's uncommon in the USA. Mostly I save it for within the Order.
The great thing about blue collar types is that having fun at your expense can be a bonding thing. Be self deprecating and show you aren't pretentious and they will be calling you Sir Taj as if it were a single name or just because it sounds cool. People who come in later may even think your real name is "Surtaj" until someone explains it to them.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

stevelous wrote:We get so much junk mail addressed to Mr Lous and out of interest I open one and it contained a scam competition where I had 'won' £20000 and all I had to do was give my bank details. So as we say 'on yer bike' sadly some do fall victims to these things.
If you hide the bodies too well they won't serve as warnings to other potential scammers. :whistle:
Daryl...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

stevelous wrote:Just remembered a strange situation regarding elected persons in local politics. Here we have a borough council, inept but thats another story, and the elected members are called Councilor and for men they are called plain councillor Smith, Jones or whatever their family name is. For unmarried female the same applies but married female councillors are called Councilor Mrs Smith, Jones or whatever. Stupid and as they have their names engraved on brass plaques expensive.
I was a Councilor for 12 years and no-one called me that, except in written correspondence from some other Government department (abrevated to Cr.) and the dreaded media which has the tradition of using just surnames anyway. The media would call female Councilors the same way as males; Councilor Smith, etc. Mayor was the same for males and females.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia