Winter Solstice

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Winter Solstice

Post by skirtyscot »

Nobody says "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less". Nobody except people who aren't paying attention to what they are saying!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

As in " I couldn't give a toss". Yep, that's the UK way, lol.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The phrase itself is confusing. You say I couldn't care less to mean I don't really care yet the phrase is a double negative meaning, on face value, you could care more. And that isn't what you mean colloquially. So maybe the phrase I could care less is the more correct.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I've aways assumed it meant that I care nothing at all about this thing, so I could not care less than that.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

pelmut wrote:I've aways assumed it meant that I care nothing at all about this thing, so I could not care less than that.
I agree. That's the way I understand it.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

If we assume there is no such thing as negative care, the least amount of care should be zero care. At least this is the way I look at it as en engineer. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:If we assume there is no such thing as negative care, the least amount of care should be zero care. At least this is the way I look at it as en engineer. :wink:
Well, "negative care" could be loosely translated into hostility, in intensities directly proportional to the negativity. However, in the colloquial case, "I could not care less." (to get rid of the potentially confusing contraction) specifies a "care-level" of zero, if outright hostility is not implied.

Of note is that a negative level of "caring" implies that somebody does care about the thing in a malicious sort of way, so that may be muddying the waters as well.

So, in conclusion, "I couldn't care less." strictly implies zero care. Work the maths both positive and negative with "more care" being defined as the distance from zero.

I still like, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." It's a bit more genteel than, "[expletive] you! ... and the dog you rode in on."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gordon wrote:
pelmut wrote:I've aways assumed it meant that I care nothing at all about this thing, so I could not care less than that.
I agree. That's the way I understand it.
Yes, and that's what people mean, even when they say "I could care less".

"I can't get no satisfaction" is literally equivalent to "I cannot fail to get some level of satisfaction", but that's not what is meant.

Sooner or later someone will say "I don't got no more time for none of this" and all our heads will catch fire, then halt.
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

"I don't got no more time for none of this" In colloquial conversation I have often heard such confusing constructs but the strange thing is that at the time they have seemed to make sense in the context of the conversation. Of course you certainly couldn't write none of this as it wouldn't make no sense in no way Jose. :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.