Merry Christmas

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:You know, I don't think the original Saint Nicholas ever wore trousers...
To the best of my knowledge, Saint Nicolas was derived from the Dutch Sint Nicolaas when New Amsterdam became New York. Sint Nicolaas is always dressed like a cardinal wearing a "tabard".

But still, seasons greetings.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now hang on there, Gusto. Get a load of This:

In Asia Minor, (now Turkey) in the 4th Century there lived in the city of Myra (where Antalya now is) a monk named Nicholas who was noted in his lifetime for giving to the poor and generosity in general. He became revered by several denominations of Christianity and the Turks now claim that they have his remains there.

In the Antalya district of Demra there stands a 'modern' St Nicholas church, underneath which they think St Nicholas's remains are to be found, but digging & surveys are ongoing. Having sailed along that coast many times over 13 years we visited said gloomy empty church. Remember, Turkey is 97% Muslim.

There is a story that raiding Eye-tie sailors nick'd St Nick. and transferred him to Bari in the heel of Italy where they built a St. Nicholas Basilica. I have been there too, in 1968 with my then Girlfriend, (now Granny to our eight grandchildren) However, the Turks will tell you that the Eye-ties got the wrong bloke and they (the Turks) still have the real St. Nicholas.

Believe what you will, but those two churches are real. All that dates from a long time before anyone thought of New Amsterdam.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Kirbstone wrote:Now hang on there, Gusto. Get a load of This:

In Asia Minor, (now Turkey) in the 4th Century there lived in the city of Myra (where Antalya now is) a monk named Nicholas who was noted in his lifetime for giving to the poor and generosity in general. He became revered by several denominations of Christianity and the Turks now claim that they have his remains there.

In the Antalya district of Demra there stands a 'modern' St Nicholas church, underneath which they think St Nicholas's remains are to be found, but digging & surveys are ongoing. Having sailed along that coast many times over 13 years we visited said gloomy empty church. Remember, Turkey is 97% Muslim.

There is a story that raiding Eye-tie sailors nick'd St Nick. and transferred him to Bari in the heel of Italy where they built a St. Nicholas Basilica. I have been there too, in 1968 with my then Girlfriend, (now Granny to our eight grandchildren) However, the Turks will tell you that the Eye-ties got the wrong bloke and they (the Turks) still have the real St. Nicholas.

Believe what you will, but those two churches are real. All that dates from a long time before anyone thought of New Amsterdam.

Tom
Dear Kirbstone,
The monk of Myra is to be considered the Dutch Sint Nicolaas, as he indeed was known for the good samaritan attitude.His birhday is always celebrated by the Dutch on Dec 5th, especially giving presents to children. He died on the 6h of December, what became is nameday afterwards which is still celebrated. The childs feast is the only part of the celebrations left. Such was done also in New Amsterdam till the English captured New Amsterdam definetly - a battle lost by Peter Stuyvesant - and they than combined it with the old germanic celebration of the mid winter which had as custom giving pesents. So actually two events of giving presents were combined.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

So this is how Europeans do a "war on Christmas" :lol:

:hide:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Merry Christmas

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Merry Christmas
To You and yours!
May you be found in good health and joyous spirits.
Fred :santa:

:thewave: :thewave:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Orca

Post by Orca »

Merry Chrsitmas

best wishes for you and your loved ones

all the best for the new year
Swim Well, Brother!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

SkD,

Very many thanks for that wonderful anthology by Patrick Comerford. I hadn't heard of him before, but he's quite a historian and has a lot to offer.

I'm very familiar with all of the churches &c illustrated in that blog, with the exception of those on Crete, an island I have not yet visited. The St Nicholas church in inner Dublin is popularly known as the 'Pepper Canister', shaped like it is and sited in the middle of a small square deep in Goergian Dublin. It is a very popular venue for concerts, so good is its acoustic.

Tom

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote:So this is how Europeans do a "war on Christmas" :lol:

:hide:
Well you can learn more about such "warfare" from barbara Tuchman's book:The Calamitous 14th Century .
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

SkirtsDad wrote:http://www.patrickcomerford.com/2017/12 ... as-of.html

Seasons greetings to all

SD
Grand info, thanks. What is missing that Sint Nicolaas had two helpers. Nowaday's called Black Pete. According to Russell Shorto in his book Isle at the Centre of the world, these helpers would have been freed slaves which were thankfull to their old master and as sign of gratitude helped out with the festivities and climbed down and up the chimney's and were thus "blackend" by soot.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wore my elf dress to work yesterday - essentially a T-shirt dress with hem and cuffs sporting large serrations and one half bright green and the other bright red with matching hat and bright red tights. Oh and I had dangly bauble ear rings. But my grandson gave the thumbs up to the gear and ear rings. I wore it last year but for some reason I had hesitations but I went ahead anyway. I walked in the front door of the store and across the front to where I go up to the staff room. Several customers sae me in their travels and not one of them batted an eyelid. I knew then that everything was going to be OK. MOH couldn't exactly say anything as I had already worn it prior. She took a photo or two and I will get one posted even though I am pretty bad at doing this. I did it to raise money for our corporate charity and I filled the large bowl by my checkout quite well although it was hard work.

Anyway Merry Christmas everyone and my the next year see an easing of the stigma surrounding men wearing skirts. It doesn't appear to be getting any worse over here although some of you across the aisle seem to be indicating worsening conditions there. Anyway, have fun everyone and you can bet that I WILL not be wearing trousers at our family New Year's Eve party. Not sure what skirt or dress I will be wearing ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Merry Christ mas and a Happy New to you and yours
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Happy holidays, the days are getting longer again. I'm ready for a very long summer dressed in a skirt every day. :cheers: :sunny: :toast:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Mele Kalikimaka and a Hao'ule Makahiki Hou

Comment from the TV weather man the daylight hours are getting 4 seconds a day longer after the equinox - WOW light speed !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned wrote:Anyway, have fun everyone and you can bet that I WILL not be wearing trousers at our family New Year's Eve party. Not sure what skirt or dress I will be wearing ....
Good for you Sinned. Hope it all goes well and have plenty of fun too.

This was my Christmas day outfit for visiting my son's relatives:
P1120959sc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.