Windows 10

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Windows 10

Post by Gregg1100 »

For the second time I put Win 10 Falls Edition 1709 on pc. For the second time it messed up the screen resolution of monitor. For the second and probably last time I reverted to earlier build.1703
Screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 normally. After Falls update it was 1280 x 960 which was highest in list. And unadjustable in graphics card settings. About as much good as a chocolate fireguard.
It will be a fair while before I let Falls Edition anywhere near my pc again. ( Home made- Intel I7 , 250 SSD, 1tb ordinary h/d, 16gb ram ) Nothing there much in Falls Update to upgrade for anyway.
Tried Linux- didn't like it. Not much left.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Windows 10

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Sticking with Win7 here, but have you seen if there is a new driver for your video card? I'm assuming Windows recognizes which monitor you have. :x
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I'd check to see if the motherboard and video card are supported and if so, do they have updated drivers for 1709? And did 1709 recognize them as the correct hardware? Sometimes you have to help Windows with a manual selection or driver update....

I've had 7 successful upgrades now, but all on commercial machines, both consumer and business grades. The 8th machine had a particular motherboard and SSD combination that was known to cause issues. Fie on me for not researching more thoroughly....it was ok, the "problem" was that the upgrade on that particular combination takes about 30-32 hours. I'd come by periodically and look at it (with Task Manager (detailed) and Resource Manager up....yup, got a network spike, now the hard drive is pegging 100%, CPU is dancing about....it's working....check it later.

I pretty much insist all the machines in my care make the jump to the latest and greatest...mostly for security reasons. My laptops are pretty much locked down under the "Critical Controls" and what I think is the best security setup: Defender 4.x (Windows 10), Malwarebytes Premium 3.x, Blue Ridge Software's AppGuard, and AdGuard. As well as a startup script that sets my DNS to servers that will not resolve known malware sites.

Main client let me move them all to Office 365 on Windows 10 and Server 2016 in a virtual environment, but most others run a mix from WinXP, Vista, 7, 8.x and 10 with Office 2000, 2003, 2010 and up or else some of the old Word Perfect suites.

I have a few older machines I'm going to give some away and am prepping them with Ubuntu Desktop, and my last couple of working machines that were upgraded to newer and better have gotten Kali Linux with which I am learning with the intention of getting a OSCP cert.

Anyway....that's how I pay for my skirts....

:batman:
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Thanks for responses.
Got a pretty naffish graphics card in pc box- but it works fine with Win version 1703. Drivers for card are up to date. The update tool didn't throw up any resistance to the update in regard to the components of the pc, which is why I let it carry on updating. Looking to get a Gigabyte card to go with the motherboard, but as soon as the money is available, it goes on something else. You know the score.
Although I put this pc together a good while ago ( put all the bits in the box, gave it a shake and turned it on :mrgreen: ), I am not that well up on the finer aspects. Networking kills me - I get my son to sort any probs there. Any other problems, I ask Mr. Google.