Happy Thanksgiving to all Skirt Cafe Members

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Happy Thanksgiving to all Skirt Cafe Members

Post by Elisabetta »

From our home to yours! Happy Thanksgiving!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Happy Thanksgiving to all Skirt Cafe Members

Post by beachlion »

Thanks, happy Thanksgiving to all.

Being Dutch and not religious, the Thanksgiving Day mood is not part of my system but I'm adapting myself. I just put the turkey in the oven with a nice thermometer from the old world in his/her bum. I don't trust those plastic pop-ups.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As per the my usual Thanksgiving holiday dinner I went to Golden Coral and had of course turkey, stuffing and gravy, fried okra and pumpkin pie. I also had potato salad, coleslaw and ice cream with tea to drink. :D
So to all here in the USA and to those in other countries I want to wish you a very
Happy Thanksgiving!
To those who for what ever reason do not celebrate I wish you well and enough.
Fred whose belly is now full and needs to take a nap........ :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Merci, Jenn. Thanksgiving was good to me as I got to spend it in the company of friends.

It's a peculiarly US holiday, which is nice in a way, but does grate on me a little bit as it celebrates the arrival on these shores of forces I'd rather have left to our European brethren to "deal with" instead of taking the expediency of "exporting".

I hope all of those who celebrate the holiday here had a good time of it. Sincerely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I trust all you Statesiders had a good Thanksgiving.

Here on this side of the Pond our weather gave us quite a nasty Thanksgiving present. It had hozed down for several days and due to flooding and road closures in our area I had great difficulty getting home last night.
This morning we woke to a flood like never before which was so deep in our driveway that we were both confined here for he day. I couldn't get to work and our resident granddaughter didn't get to school.
Depths were (and still are!) so great over much of the grounds that I haven't been near our lake area. We'll have to wait for it to go down at least a foot before we can get out the driveway and/or inspect the premises.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:This morning we woke to a flood like never before which was so deep in our driveway that we were both confined here for he day.
Oh, Tom! I hope that recedes right quick! Thanks for the photos as they show up the magnitude of the matter. Six inches from the residence is simply too bl**dy close.

As perverse as it sounds, the shot of the glasshouse and its reflection is both beautiful and horrifying at a stroke.

I'd wish a fervent "Dry out!", but if that was to happen the world would have no more Emerald Isle. What's to be done?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...This morning we woke to a flood like never before which was so deep in our driveway that we were both confined here for he day...
Wow, first the hurricane and now this!

Since you're posting, though, I take it you still have power, which is a blessing. And I sincerely hope no water got into the house.

Tough way to get a day off, though. Best wishes and hang in there!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

@Kirbstone, I hope you can keep your house dry. It is crucial, if you have cellars, to have them watertight. Just a little water can cause nasty rot and mould.

As a Dutchman, it is a quite familiar sight. We had our floodings, the 1953 flooding as a catastrophe in modern history. But we learnt from it and took our measures.

The good thing is you have nice reflections to take pictures. But I can guess you can do without them.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thanks guys for your concerns and good wishes. I have traveled extensively in the Netherlands and admire their awesome water management schemes. Their greatest flooding danger now comes from canalised rivers flowing out of Germany. Another dilemma is that the 'boy with his finger in the dyke' has reached pensionable age and a Nationwide search in underway to find another boy with the same caliber finger. :roll:

No, The water didn't get into the house, but did invade the outbuildings including the henhouse, where MOH rescued them and transported them up into a hayloft. The ducks & geese are OK, of course. We had to walk the donkeys up to a higher paddock and shed.

No, Nobody in this area has a basement, due to the very high water table. Our house stands on 34 concrete vertical piles driven to the rock 6 meters at one end and five meters at the other, supporting a reinforced concrete raft and Radon barrier, so that if you took ca, 5.5 meters of soil & away it would look like an oil production platform.

Our power stayed on throughout, but an extension flex, reaching into the henhouse tripped our switches shutting off all the power plugs, not the lights. When we discovered this and unplugged it we could switch the plug circuits on again.

The flood came on Thanksgiving Day, but by dawn on the Friday it had gone down by about 18 inches, so we could get back to normal.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Our power stayed on throughout, but an extension flex, reaching into the henhouse tripped our switches shutting off all the power plugs, not the lights. When we discovered this and unplugged it we could switch the plug circuits on again.
All the power outlets are on a single circuit? That's certainly not common practise here; frequently it's one (or two) outlets per circuit-breaker (or fuse, if one lives in an elderly building). (I like fuses; they offer a wealth of troubleshooting handiness if one knows how to use it.)
The flood came on Thanksgiving Day, but by dawn on the Friday it had gone down by about 18 inches, so we could get back to normal.
That's good news. But, out of curiosity, where did all the water go? You had quite bit there. It had to go somewhere.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,

Here, circuit breaker toggles are King. There are fuses of course. I'm not a qualified sparkie and the term 'ring main' comes to mind, describing a group of power outlets controlled by a fuse and circuit-breaker toggle. There is a large board on the ground floor in our 'back passage' or glory hole with circuits all labelled. This is very helpful in tracking down a short.
A while ago we had an unseen leak occur in a bathroom drainpipe, which affected a bank of kitchen power outlets below it. By selectively throwing labelled toggles we could identify and isolate it. Fixing the drainpipe solved the problem.

When we came here we first erected our large barn, thinking that if they wouldn't give us permission to build a house we would live in it. I wired it entirely myself, including lots of power points upstairs & down, so we have my workshop below and cinema room above, each of which required lots of lighting & power points.

Our landscape is indeed an old flood plain, quite flat and between two raised sphagnum peat bogs. The river Liffey used be the culprit and it flows by just two miles to the South of us. Its levels are controlled by three dams, two upstream and one downstream, so it just doesn't ever flood since the dams were built in the Thirties. After heavy rainfall they tend to release larger quantities down and for longer periods, a boon to canoeists, I might add.

Our excess water drains off hills to the West of us at a rate normally coped with by our culverts and land drains. I mentioned the Nimby upstream who took it upon himself to use his machinery last Wednesday to cut through the road, blocking it and releasing a flood down on us. There is a strong probability that he will be prosecuted for his action, but that may bog down, alas, as here in Ireland it's the lawyers who are asinine, but rich!

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Our excess water drains off hills to the West of us at a rate normally coped with by our culverts and land drains. I mentioned the Nimby upstream who took it upon himself to use his machinery last Wednesday to cut through the road, blocking it and releasing a flood down on us. There is a strong probability that he will be prosecuted for his action, but that may bog down, alas, as here in Ireland it's the lawyers who are asinine, but rich!
Tom, that was a really bad pun. I hope you're proud of yourself.

If the upstream clown severed a public way with his actions then it'll be the government who's going to be after his backside -- and he'll deserve what he gets. If it was his private property, then it'll be a different matter, of course, but those inundated downstream could have a case against him for damages to their properties.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:All the power outlets are on a single circuit? That's certainly not common practise here; frequently it's one (or two) outlets per circuit-breaker (or fuse, if one lives in an elderly building).
Interesting, I've never known a house around here to have such a lean amount of receptacles on a circuit breaker, unless it's for a dedicated purpose, such as a refrigerator, air conditioner, microwave, etc. My house in Pulaski had the bedrooms on a circuit, the living room and dining room shared a circuit, bathroom and kitchen with a dedicated for the microwave, the basement was on a circuit and the upstairs room was in a circuit.

That house was pretty generous on circuits. Older houses may have smaller 60 AMP fuse boxes, 4 screw in type fuses are common. Perhaps one for lights, and three for various branch receptacles. On top there may be a 240 double fuse for an electric range/oven and one for a water heater.

The Marion trailer had a small 100 amp fuse box, many outlets were on a single circuit. I think the whole trailer only had about 3 120v branch circuits, including the kitchen. It was quite common to trip overloads (breakers) when vacuuming the floor, or trying to microwave something at the same time a space heater would be running in the living room.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Happy thanksgiving to all stateside folks from us down under..

We do not celebrate thanksgiving in Australia, as such I have little real knowledge of what it is about, much like halloween.

Moonshadow, I don't want to be the cause of thread drift, but for us down under all new houses have their power circuits protected by usually a single earth leakage circuit breaker, which trips when the imbalance between active and neutral reaches 30mA. Our supply is 240V 50Hz single phase. Lighting circuits are not normally supplied through such an ELCB, so you can trip off your power but won't end up in the dark at night if you do.
We do not employ a ring feed system for power circuits, so if you get a break in the circuit, you can't end up with two live ends to cause you a headache with, and you'll be more likely to find the problem, or find it quicker.