The role of a man...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
webboy42

Re: The role of a man...

Post by webboy42 »

Daryl wrote:And this is where I apologise for playing wise old grey haired guy lecturing the youngins...

Firstly, we need to do something that goes against male nature. We yield. We stop fighting, even in our minds. We stop lamenting the injustice. We make the compromises needed to have satisfying social and economic lives, then cooly determine exactly how far we are willing to rage against the machine. We perform cost-benefit analysis.

Secondly, we appreciate what rebellion we can manage fully, in the moment, rather than always seeing it as not enough. All human beings are drawn to the forbidden and unknown, just not the same forbiddens and unknowns. This is ours, so let's just enjoy what we can of it when we can.

The third thing goes with the second thing: forgive the world, yourself included. That doesn't mean pretending the injustice is not there, but knowing that bitter blame and judgement are not productive. Resolve is stronger when it's not poisoned by hate and anger.

The fourth thing is to do what we can to promote change, mindful of the first three things. We are doing some of this here, just by being open about ourselves and sharing our experience and knowledge and personal perspectives. We can also support others whose interests intersect with ours even if we don't fully identify or agree with them. For example, we can try to be in solidarity with the M2F trans community or the MRM (men's rights movement). We can also just get people used to seeing us in public and deliberately do more of it (within our personal bounds). The list of "what we can do to promote change" could be very large.

Fifth, and last in my list, is to support each other, not in that vacant automatic way that people so often indulge online, but in a more authentic way. If all you hear from a peer is words of approval and support, that peer may be more concerned with making themselves feel good than with helping you navigate tricky waters. Be to your brothers as you would really have them be to you.

I can't call that list comprehensive but I'd bet that if you aren't doing at least some of those things, you won't be very happy regardless of what garment is covering your ass at the moment.
I think that's a good list for anyone in a minority group, even those who are women. Men may be stereotyped as the fighters, but women are also fighters as evidenced by the feminist movement.

I'll have to remember this list for myself. I see the sense in everything there, but it's easy to forget those things sometimes. It's helpful to be reminded every so often.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

A husband's purpose is to be a sperm bank and an ATM.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:A husband's purpose is to be a sperm bank and an ATM.
and in due course only the last.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Procreation be damned. We do have souls, and though there are many out there who like to pretend we don't, it doesn't change the fact. There is more to us than our sperm count, or the strength of our backs. If they can't see that, then that's their loss.
The closing point here sums up a good deal of the issues, quite possibly without entirely intending to.

For one, procreation should be damned in this day and age. What responsible, feeling, thoughtful individual would actually bring another human being into the morass that our modern world has been turned into -- by us, and our parents' generation? Only if one is very lucky will he not be reviled by the child he brings into the world once that child starts to observe precisely how bad things are.

The last sentence really drives it home. We are more -- vastly more -- than our sperm count, our bank-balance, or the strength of our backs; and this is precisely why we chafe under the matriarchal system that deems us "expendable". We don't want to be the ones "expended" by those who cannot -- or will not -- see our value as human beings. That sets up much friction.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am extremely glad that I do not have children. How sad it would be to be hated by such an individual for the sole reason that I missed all the signs of where the local "society" was going. The hatred would likely be less from a daughter, for she would have all the benefits; but the hatred of a son, knowing what his path will be like, would be a terrible burden.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

webboy42 wrote:I've always wondered why women are placed upon a pedestal and held sacred by society. It never occurred to me before that the reproductive potential might be the reason, but it makes more sense when the human population is low and mortality is high.
As the gate keepers of sex, and reproduction, women have the leverage to:

1. Wear whatever they feel like

2. Demand that men conform to conventional masculinity
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:A husband's purpose is to be a sperm bank and an ATM.

Incorrect. When I met Moon he worked for Subway. He brought in roughly around 100.00 a week. I'm still with him 16 years later. I married him for the heart he has not what's in his wallet. We don't have a child together its both our decision to not want anymore kids. I have one from a previous relationship. I'm a very independent woman and the way we do things is 100/100. Not all women use men for their wallets or what's between their legs.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

JennC03 wrote:I'm a very independent woman and the way we do things is 100/100.
I consider this attitude to be a very desirable one to find and to hear from a woman's point of view. That vast majority of people want the 50/50 relationship which is basically an I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine first. That type of relationship usually degrades into a dominant/submissive one where one person begins controlling the other and often leads to great resentment by the controlled one. When each member of the relationship gives it their all the result is a relationship that is so strong that no outsider can break it. I salute you and Moon for being inspirations for the rest of us.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

hoborob wrote:
JennC03 wrote:I'm a very independent woman and the way we do things is 100/100.
I consider this attitude to be a very desirable one to find and to hear from a woman's point of view. That vast majority of people want the 50/50 relationship which is basically an I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine first. That type of relationship usually degrades into a dominant/submissive one where one person begins controlling the other and often leads to great resentment by the controlled one. When each member of the relationship gives it their all the result is a relationship that is so strong that no outsider can break it. I salute you and Moon for being inspirations for the rest of us.

Thank you so much hoborob means a lot.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Jenn,
It's nice to hear things 'from the other side', and your support of Moon is a pleasure to observe.
I for one, miss the comments from Sapphire (Carl's other half), but it would seem that she became ill and went her own way.
I have to admit that what we (men) are doing here is a bit 'off the wall', and I tend to wear a kilt as an 'acceptable' MUG, but as I tell people, I think I've discovered Scotland's best kept secret!!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It is true, my time spent with Jenn has been one financial struggle after another, after another, after another, etc.. with no end in sight. She met me poor, we've been poor since then, and we'll most likely die poor. The various choices in my life from the friends I've kept, my religious views, my choice in style, business decisions I've made have most likely played a major factor in my remaining in a financially humble place. I have a special knack for turning a dollar into a nickel. She remains with me none the less. I say, "but Jenn, if I fail, we'll be living in our car", she replies "that's okay, then that would be a good time to see America"...

As far as being a sperm donor, as she will report, I have always resisted having children, much for the reasons Carl points out. It would be an act of cruelty. Not to mention, it's my way of sticking a middle finger to the "man", as I refuse to breed more slaves for the elite to profit off of. We are, after all, nothing more than glorified cattle, at least in the eyes of the people who run this world. We even have little cards to carry around so we can call up who's property we are. The going idea is we're (as in the Americans) are the property of the United States government, but there's a conspiracy going around that indicates we all actually belong to the Queen of England, and that she owes her soul to the Rothschild family.... but that's a story for another day..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:It is true, my time spent with Jenn has been one financial struggle after another, after another, after another, etc.. with no end in sight. She met me poor, we've been poor since then, and we'll most likely die poor. The various choices in my life from the friends I've kept, my religious views, my choice in style, business decisions I've made have most likely played a major factor in my remaining in a financially humble place. I have a special knack for turning a dollar into a nickel. She remains with me none the less. I say, "but Jenn, if I fail, we'll be living in our car", she replies "that's okay, then that would be a good time to see America"...

As far as being a sperm donor, as she will report, I have always resisted having children, much for the reasons Carl points out. It would be an act of cruelty. Not to mention, it's my way of sticking a middle finger to the "man", as I refuse to breed more slaves for the elite to profit off of. We are, after all, nothing more than glorified cattle, at least in the eyes of the people who run this world. We even have little cards to carry around so we can call up who's property we are. The going idea is we're (as in the Americans) are the property of the United States government, but there's a conspiracy going around that indicates we all actually belong to the Queen of England, and that she owes her soul to the Rothschild family.... but that's a story for another day..

Moon you are rich. You have a wife who not only adores you but would worship the ground you walk on. You have a daughter that while she can be a pain in the ass love's you. Even Luna loves you. Money is just a root to all evil but if you got just one person who loves you that out weights the bad and love is Priceless. So Moon you're rich!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

trainspotter48 wrote:Jenn,
It's nice to hear things 'from the other side', and your support of Moon is a pleasure to observe.
I for one, miss the comments from Sapphire (Carl's other half), but it would seem that she became ill and went her own way.
I have to admit that what we (men) are doing here is a bit 'off the wall', and I tend to wear a kilt as an 'acceptable' MUG, but as I tell people, I think I've discovered Scotland's best kept secret!!

Thank you! I try to chime in now and then. I love Kilts they're nice looking. I'm part Scotish.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jenn you misquote. Money in itself is just a medium of exchange and in itself is not evil - it's neutral. It is the love of money to the exclusion of all else that is evil. The thing with money is that when we leave this earth we can't take it with us. Character, experiences and memories are vastly more important.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote:Jenn you misquote. Money in itself is just a medium of exchange and in itself is not evil - it's neutral. It is the love of money to the exclusion of all else that is evil. The thing with money is that when we leave this earth we can't take it with us. Character, experiences and memories are vastly more important.

I didn't misquote this one Dennis. Allow,me to,explain. When it comes to Moon's family and ex-wife Money played a huge part. If he didn't have money they wanted no part with Moon. They allowed their love for money to come between the love they could've had for Moon. Along with his ex-wife's infidelity. All his family cares about is money and when Moon's money ran out they cut him off. This is why in some cases money is the root to all evil in my eyes.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ahh yes, I neglected the period when I came into about a hundred grand for about five years. Family and friends weren't scarce then by God! :roll: :| They nickled and dimed the hell out of me until the money ran out... then guess what, they ran out in short order... :blue:

Dennis is saying Jenn, it's not the money itself, it's just printed paper after all, and in all actuality is quite worthless [0]. It's peoples obsession with obtaining those worthless notes, and what they will do to acquire it that drives so many evils.

[0] Our money is fiat, it has value because we have faith that it has value. It is tied to nothing of tangible value. Rather, the measure of a currency's value is tied with the issuing nations GDP, or in other words the grand sum total of that nations productivity. Thus... we are "the gold", we are "the commodity", and that's why we are the "property". But I digress.

Interesting video on currency here... (link)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.