Photobucket

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Photobucket

Post by Gregg1100 »

Photobucket seems to have gone to pot.
What is the best (and easiest) app to use in it's place please ?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Photobucket

Post by beachlion »

I use Post Image http://www.postimg.org

It lets you share images with just an URL or a thumbnail.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I use Imgur.com for sharing my photos and it is FREE!
:lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I use the web-server in my kitchen which I have complete and absolute authority over. Yes, I am the sysadmin. I am the network engineer, occasional programmer, and the service guy who fixes it when it gets screwed up (which isn't often as it's not a PeeCee).

It's not precisely free, as it eats some electricity and the occasional part, but since it runs all the time, hosting stuff on it doesn't cost me any more than not hosting stuff on it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:I use the web-server in my kitchen which I have complete and absolute authority over.
Wish I had one of those! :rofl: :hide:

Can you send one? I would love it and take care of it and call it George!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Gregg1100 wrote:Photobucket seems to have gone to pot.
What is the best (and easiest) app to use in it's place please ?
I use Ipernity, designed by photographers for photographers. There is a free option which limits you to uploading 200 MB per month and only the latest 200 photos are visible at any one time (although all your uploaded photos are still there), and the subscription 'Club' option (£37.95 per year) which gives you unlimited access, uploading and visibility. I'm here if you want to check it out.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have to say, I've been really pleased with Flickr. So far Verizon seems to be chugging along with it and it hasn't started to suck yet. They allow image hosting, and I've actually made some online friends on the site after being on there a few years. I check the app on my phone often and look forward to reading my notifications and comments people leave me on my photos, and likewise I enjoy leaving comments and encouragement on other peoples profiles as well.

You get a TB of storage for free, and I'm not sure about any other limits such as file sizes, but my photos run from 4-7MB each and I've not had any issue uploading. I've also uploaded hundreds of photos per month without issue.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

moonshadow wrote:I have to say, I've been really pleased with Flickr...
I used to be with Flickr until Yahoo started doing horrible things with it, such as assigning unwanted automatic tags and not allowing the user to specify the image sizes on their pages. From a photographer's point of view, the worst thing they did was to introduce unwanted image 'enhancement' - covertly increasing the sharpness, contrast and saturation which the user had no control over. This was so that, in Yahoo/Flickr's eyes, it made the image 'pop' more on screens (especially mobile phone and tablet screens), and hence was thought to increase the number of click-throughs and boost advertising revenue.

With Ipernity, what you upload is what you see on the screen - no additional enhancement. No stupid automatic tagging either.
Stevie D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stevie D wrote:From a photographer's point of view, the worst thing they did was to introduce unwanted image 'enhancement' - covertly increasing the sharpness, contrast and saturation which the user had no control over.
That, indeed, is a cardinal sin. A well-taken photograph should be able to stand on its own, precisely as the photographer exposed it. Some darkroom work has always been common, but what a photographer displays is precisely what he wants the viewer to see -- not what some random entity thinks it wants a viewer to see.

Stevie -- Those shots of Whitby are gorgeous, especially the ones in the late afternoon light. Magic!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stevie D wrote:From a photographer's point of view, the worst thing they did was to introduce unwanted image 'enhancement' - covertly increasing the sharpness, contrast and saturation which the user had no control over.
I've never noticed this. To my eyes the photos always look the same before and after uploading. I'll grant that when I got my new tablet the photos seemed to pop more but I figured that was due to viewing them on a new screen instead of my usual 10 year old monitor.

Further I can find no documentation this feature exist except one thread on a Flickr help forum where a user wants it shut off for the same reason you state and all the replies indicate there is no such feature.

Perhaps this is something they tried and went away from?

Oh well... to each his own. The service suits me all the same.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

What Moon said.

Never have noticed that. In fact, the photo I just uploaded of today's outfit looks the same on my flickr photostream as it does locally. You can also opt out of the automatic tags. It seems flickr learned at least part of a lesson from their reboot four years ago. Site isn't as great as it was back in 2012 or earlier, but, it's useable now.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Kilted_John wrote:What Moon said.

Never have noticed that. In fact, the photo I just uploaded of today's outfit looks the same on my flickr photostream as it does locally. You can also opt out of the automatic tags. It seems flickr learned at least part of a lesson from their reboot four years ago. Site isn't as great as it was back in 2012 or earlier, but, it's useable now.
-J
The concerns of Flickr-applied oversharpening were discussed on the Flickr help forum.
https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157630651445278
There are many other threads (too many to list) but a help forum search for 'Flickr oversharpening' will lead to some discussions. As far as I'm aware the issues still have not gone away.

Also re automatic tags - yes you can choose to hide them but they are still there in the background, hidden. The Flickr algorithms use them to control image searches, which can sometimes come up with very inappropriate and offensive results. The worst case happened soon after they were introduced when automatic tags such as 'monkey' and 'ape' were applied to images of people with dark skin. Thankfully that sort of egregious error seems to have been corrected pretty sharpish, but right up to when I left Flickr a couple of years ago inappropriate automatic tags were being applied to my photos. A user can opt to delete automatic tags but they have to be deleted one at a time on every photo and for me it became simply too much hassle to remove them. So I left.
Stevie D
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Thanks for the help chaps. I was on flickr, will try again. I just don't want the chance of private pics appearing all over the universe.
Also, not been on pc for a few days- trying to cut down the amount of time I stare at a screen- get a bit of life back, and exercise(increasing slowly from zilch).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stevie D wrote:There are many other threads (too many to list) but a help forum search for 'Flickr oversharpening' will lead to some discussions. As far as I'm aware the issues still have not gone away.
Now I have noticed when the images are resized the sharpness changes somewhat, but I figured that was just down to the software that resizes the images. FWIW, the software I use on my computer to tinker with photos (a REALLY old.... as in written for windows 3.1 old image editing program) is REALLY bad for this. Therefore I don't like resizing images prior to uploading them.

I've often been told that jpeg images are like a CD compared to film being like the "real" sound on a vinyl record album. With the image, it's the computers best attempt to capture the image data and transfer it to a visual image you see on your screen. It's mighty close, but still lacks the "soul" of the film image.

I can agree with this, however the differences is so small I try not to get hung up on it. After all, I do love the sound of "Free Bird" echoing off the walls, complete with the subtle snaps and pops of a record. However I still crank it up a little when Pandora plays a digitized version while driving. :D

As far as auto-sharpening goes, it would have been cool if the photo below had of been auto-sharpened. I took the photo on a quick spur of the moment, trying to capture Amber in a candid pose fixing her hair. I had the auto-focus on at the time and it missed the mark... :(

But yeah, I think when dealing with digital photography some sacrifices are made because when you get right down to it, all photos in the digital world are just zeros and ones. But many still look pretty cool. For the Nikon people, some shoot in "RAW" format (I do too), and let the computer you download them to convert them to JPEG. While I practice this, I often wonder if it really makes much of a difference allowing the computer to convert the image instead of the camera itself. I know RAW files can be around 25MB each for the size of image I take, so if one were just out to take average run of the mill "family vacation photos" birthday shots, etc without the need for ultra-fine tuned photography it seems to me having the camera take JPEGs would be suitable as you can fit more images on the card. Still, I photograph in RAW only.... just because... it seems like the right thing to do, and then let the computer do the conversion.
Gregg1100 wrote: I just don't want the chance of private pics appearing all over the universe.
Although I don't use the feature (all of my photos are public), I believe many use the private feature whereas you can set photos to "friends", "family", or "just you". Using the "friends", or "family", function allows you to designate which other flickr members can see your photos. Again, this is a function I don't use so I can not advise on it past knowing it's there. Perhaps someone else here can weigh in.

On a personal note, I can certainly understand not wanting skirted photos ending up all over the internet. God knows I've got my share of photos taken in Walmart that I'm just waiting to find in some reddit meme or elsewhere. But then again, I also know I've been the subject matter of probably hundreds if not thousands of various smart phones taking pictures of ME in public. [0] God only knows where these are winding up, and this is something I have no control over past just not going out skirted to begin with. So I figured... "What's the point of hiding my photos? At least these I posed properly for."
Also, not been on pc for a few days- trying to cut down the amount of time I stare at a screen- get a bit of life back, and exercise(increasing slowly from zilch).
Indeed. For me, not having the internet in the home (aside from tethering my phone) has helped. I've also been quite busy around the house and of course, work (my day job) consumes a fair chunk of my time.

[0] This is another double standard that irks me in public. If I carried around a smart phone, skirted or trousered, and just started laughing and taking photos of everyone I saw in public, I'd probably have fresh bruises each week where people literally would assault me for having the audacity of photographing THEM (even though it's not illegal), and yet so many people seem to violate this "trust" every time I go out and photograph me without my consent. I don't really mind so much, it's just the principle of the matter. People demand I respect their space, and yet they have no respect for mine... then again, I guess that's the American way, as we see this chestnut pop up issue after issue... :|
-Andrea
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:I've often been told that jpeg images are like a CD compared to film being like the "real" sound on a vinyl record album. With the image, it's the computers best attempt to capture the image data and transfer it to a visual image you see on your screen. It's mighty close, but still lacks the "soul" of the film image.
JPEG is a "lossy" compression algorithm, which means that if you compress and decompress an image, the result isn't a perfect rendition of the original. So basically, you're sacrificing some image quality in order to get a smaller file size.

When you save something in JPEG format, you can specify the amount of loss you can tolerate. Some applications have this hard-coded in but in others it's a setting you can specify when you save the image.

If you save in JPEG, open that file and save it again in JPEG, open that second file and save a third JPEG,the loss is cumulative. So it's best to always work from an original.

GIF offers perfect compression and decompression, but only supports 256 colors, which leads to a different sort of degradation.

RAW and Photoshop's PSD format use no compression and millions of colors, but the file sizes are relatively huge.

When you reduce the size of an image, the editing program has to "average" multiple pixels into one. It's like creating a smaller version of a tile mosaic. So that introduces some degradation as well.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron