The Dutch did it again

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

The Dutch did it again

Post by beachlion »

All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Dutch did it again

Post by oldsalt1 »

unfortunately they did it in dutch
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

If you scroll down a little to the embedded video, you get the real deal.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

You can see it at-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-o9pwWUzz0
3min 14secs
The first 12 seconds are subtitled in English, and the rest of the video is in English.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In my early days on this site someone called me out in very, very uncivilised terms because I genuinely and in interest asked why many Americans are almost fanatical but mostly interested in guns and their right to kill. I don't want to go there again. Interesting but let's just drop it as being a subject that's on the banned list. There will not be any satisfactory answers that will solve the problem - I think it runs too deep, is too widespread and the gun lobby is too powerful with too many politicians in their pay.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I did not wanted to stir the ants nest but show that there is satire outside the borders of the USA that could compete with the American satire. For me the form and format counted much more than the content or subject.

Sorry if I went against the grain.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nah, that's all right. I appreciate the satire and in that respect it's very English as well, but then you are just across the North Sea River from us. Just trying to head off trouble at the pass that's all. I didn't know if you knew about some of the vicious banter that went on in a thread or two about this topic. Cool, man. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I recognised it pretty much right off as satire, and pretty good satire as well. Yes, it was typically European, but very good all the same.

Where one runs into problems is when satire blurs perfectly into what passes for reality -- and that's where the USA is at the moment. One doesn't know whether to laugh, cry, be very afraid, or all of the above. For all we know it's a case of, "Eat, drink, and laugh gentlemen, for tomorrow we'll all be dead."

It may be apocryphal, but the reason that Tom Lehrer gave for his retirement from musical satire was, "In a world where Henry Kissinger can win the Nobel Peace Prize, there is no room for satire." Things has not improved.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

If I'm not mistaken there are two ponds between beachlion and sinned wit Ireland somewhere in between. As to the Lubach satire, if I'm not mistaken he is no longer on prime time as it's not in line with the normal accepted satire.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

That's a shame because it was actually an excellent article worthy of the best topical comedy around.