The war to end all... something

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

The war to end all... something

Post by Ralph »

Is anybody else watching the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam? I was still in diapers while most of it was reaching its dreadful conclusion, so I never really understood why there were no clear answers on right and wrong. Now... I'm starting to understand. EVERYONE, from Woodrow Wilson to Nixon as well as the various generals through the decades, made terrible decisions based on faulty information or arrogance or political ambition or divided loyalties. There isn't really any one incident you could point to and say "There, that's where everything went wrong."

sigh... how very discouraging it all is.
Ralph!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The war to end all... something

Post by Caultron »

The essential error was believing that this was a war between communism and democracy. In fact, it was a war to throw off colonial rule and unify the country.

Note that even though we lost, Vietnam Nam isn't particularly aligned in any communist bloc.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

What a waste.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I watched the entire show and am going to costco they have the cd's for $59 I found the series very informative . I learned a great deal from watching. For me It brought back some not to pleasant memories as I was in a number of places shown though not at the same time of the filming.