Mass Volountary Galley-slavery

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mass Volountary Galley-slavery

Post by Sinned »

Yes, Tom, Egypt was pretty much 30+ degrees all the time but to land in Manchester at 13 degrees was still a bit of a shock.

The modern jargon leaves me a bit cold too. My phones are hand-me-downs and of something needs sorting I ask one of my grand-daughters to do it. Even though I have a CompSci degree I have retired from it all now. Although I grew up through the whole Windows cycle I was never a convert and never a convincing Systems Administrator for the environment. I was more into PICK running on top of UNIX and helped develop, for a bank, a hybrid environment of clustered load-balanced RS6000 machines running PICK applications on AIX accessing db2 tables through third party middleware. I ended my days developing PICK software again on top of UNIX and retired after that. I am not going to go back into it all - it's now far too complex for me and I have no regrets. TBH I use my laptop for Internot and Office, WP and spreadsheets, and family history research. Microshaft killed the old PC stone dead and there doesn't look to be any resurrection of it any time soon. So I'm with you on this one Tom. :?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl might be interested:

The annual Boston rowing Head of the Charles took place last w'end, with some 11,000 competitors !! over two days in glorious unseasonally warm weather. The small Irish squad turned in stellar performances.

Over the three-mile course our mens' C'ship double from Skibereen were beaten into 2nd place by Pennsilvania by, wait for it..one tenth of a second! Our sculler Sanita Puspure once again joined the Ladies' great eight and won the C'ship event, while in the 40+year old Mens Masters' eights the event was won by Shannon R.C. Limerick.

I'd love to have been there, but I can't be everywhere. :blue:

Tom
Head of the Charles, Boston MA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Excuses, Excuses.......There's always an excuse for not doing the impossible.

Just remember this:
"We the few....
Who have done so much.....
With so little.....
For so long......

Now we can do.......
Practically anything.....
With nothing at all!"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:I'd love to have been there, but I can't be everywhere. :blue:
Had you been, I would have happily rearranged much to be there -- likely standing atop the pedestrian bridge under which you would have passed, shouting encouragement and/or abuse.

The river is much more scenic the farther one gets up it. The entire section as shown in the image is entirely man-made by damming the lower reach of the river, first below Boston's Science Museum, and later on by a larger structure a couple of thousand yards downstream. 150 years ago, that scene was a stinking tidal flat that flooded twice a day and into which went all manner of indescribable dross in the hopes that the tide would wash it out.

'Tis a shame you couldn't make it, sir. It would have been a good time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,
Interesting description, but that was then, this is now. My next sortie Boston-wards will certainly be to that event. Next year the FISA World Masters will be in W. Florida, to which I will not go. My expensive indulgence trips this year were the sail in Catalonia and the rowing in Bled. I'll probably sail again next year, but will also be available for a possible assault on Boston.

My own crowd, Old Collegians got up a posse and went to the Schuylkill, Philadelphia last year. In the coming years they'll certainly get a crew together for the Charles and I will make it my business to be with them, then we can have a skirted meet-up & a pint or two....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !