Garden railway photos

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Garden railway photos

Post by Fred in Skirts »

mugman wrote:I don't think blowing one's own trumpet a little when you're proud of something achieved is too much of a crime. I'll just add that all the model buildings on the railway are created from my own invention...a modelling system still on the market called JigStones. This system allows users to cast their own components in a rapid set cement, and to build pretty much anything they fancy. A sort of Lego for adults. If you google JigStones and pull up the images you'll see a massive amount of creations that have been achieved around the globe. That is extremely satisfying to me. Pete
Dam* Pete I did not know it was you who invented JigStones. I helped a friend build some structures for his out door layout and we used JigStones. I found it was easy to build all of his structures. They have stood up for quite a while now he never brings them in out of the weather. Rain, sleet, snow, heat nothing seems to bother them. I just wish I had taken photos of them. He has moved away from here and rebuilt his railway. He is still using the buildings.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

It's certainly a small world Fred! Yet another happy customer then.

Here's the very first small test model built in 1990-ish. Still out in my garden.

Pete
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

A couple of additional steamers have come to the railway, one of which I've been keen on for some years. It's a B Class Darjeeling & Himalayan Railway model 0-4-0 saddle tank; this one is named 'Himalayan Bird'. A real beauty. The quirkiness of all the fittings appeals to my love of chaos.
The other engine is based upon 0-4-2 tank 'Tom Rolt', the name of a shining light in the 1951 rebirth of the Talyllyn Railway in Wales, after the line had been abandoned as a non profit millstone. Both are models by Roundhouse Engineering, Doncaster, UK. At least some products are still produced in Britain!

Pete
Last edited by mugman on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I shared some of your photos of the railway with a friend and he was mighty impressed with your workmanship. He wanted to know if we could visit. I then told him the line was in England and he was so disappointed. Neither of us has the where with all to make a trip that far. Although I really want to visit the Railway museum too.

The new engines will make a great addition to your garden for sure.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

mugman wrote: At least some products are still produced in Britain!
I have a number of pair of shoes produced in and sent to me across the pond. Britain, like the US, still makes some things.
When I was still working and wearing nice dress shoes, all of them were from a US company that made them in Wisconsin. Fairly expensive, but if you used their recrafting service whenever they needed soles, I would get ten or more years out of a pair. Recrafting replaced the soles, heels and footbeds and they threw in a new pair of laces for about one third the price of a new pair.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Wow! That is VERY cool!!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Bowtie

Post by Bowtie »

Absolutely brilliant, what a hobby you have! It would be interesting to see it in person some day. :) I have thought about starting my own model railway, more than likely indoors though, it is just a case of finding the time to put into it!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
I have a number of pair of shoes produced in and sent to me across the pond. Britain, like the US, still makes some things.
When I was still working and wearing nice dress shoes, all of them were from a US company that made them in Wisconsin. Fairly expensive, but if you used their recrafting service whenever they needed soles, I would get ten or more years out of a pair. Recrafting replaced the soles, heels and footbeds and they threw in a new pair of laces for about one third the price of a new pair.
THAT is Un-American. Planned obsolescence, that's the ticket! <g,d&rvf> :hide:

I remember taking shoes up to the local cobbler/shoe shop for new heels and so on. Within easy walking distance of the house, even. Don't know if there are any such shops in my area anymore.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Darryl wrote:
skirted_in_SF wrote:
THAT is Un-American. Planned obsolescence, that's the ticket! <g,d&rvf> :hide:

I remember taking shoes up to the local cobbler/shoe shop for new heels and so on. Within easy walking distance of the house, even. Don't know if there are any such shops in my area anymore.
I should have been more clear. New heels were done at a local shoe repair shop, usually twice before the soles were worn enough to send for recrafting. There were about four repair shops within easy walking distance of where I worked.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Try this link :arrow: BEKONSCOT Model Village and Railway - Outdoor Trains

Quite a bit of work went into this "Garden Rail Road"

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)