Poor sea turtle

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Poor sea turtle

Post by beachlion »

Yesterday I went to the beach of Sandy Hook, NJ. When I walked to my normal spot of the deserted beach, I passed a sea turtle that lay in the surf. It had some cuts in its shell, probably from a ship's propeller. It made some movement with the fore legs but even for me it looked like the end of it. The flies were already buzzing in the cuts.
When I later came back with my cell phone, it was dead. I wanter to call the ranger station but the phone number was on the pass in the car, hanging from the rearview mirror. So I called my wife in Allentown to find the number on the Internet and tell them what I had found. About 30 minutes later the ranger truck arrived and the rangers checked out the scene. Because the animal was not at a busy public beach, they would leave it there and let nature takes its way. Or the tide will take it back to sea or animals at the beach will have a feast. They took measurements of the animal to give to a biological service. It was the third turtle to be washed ashore this year.
IMG_1210qq.jpg
IMG_1216qq.jpg
How strange can it go? A few days back, my wife gave me a card for my birthday. From a set of four from an animal rescue group she picked the sea turtle.
Sea turtleq.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Poor sea turtle

Post by moonshadow »

How sad for the sea turtle. It's too bad that his death seems to have been the result of something man made, however in all fairness, these types of accidents (collisions with propellers) I suppose are prone to happen from time to time.

It's nice that he was recognized here, to me, all life is sacred, and I personally don't place importance of human existence above any others in the animal kingdom. (In fact, the planet would probably fair quite well if humans weren't around...) But I digress....

I myself saw a very large turtle on the side of the road a few weeks ago while riding to Claypool Hill with Jenn, he had been hit by a car, his shell was split with the insides hanging out, dead obviously.

As these things move so slowly, I believe many of these killings could be avoided, but I suspect what happened here was a distracted driver (on a cell phone most likely) hit the turtle... And less we forget we're in "redneck country" here, where lots of people just get their rocks off on killing things, so it could have been intentional. :x

Deer are common road kill. Dogs and cats make me choke up when I see them. I've broke down crying before looking at pictures of what mankind has done to various unlucky dolphins, especially in Japan.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.