PNBR

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

PNBR

Post by beachlion »

9 September is the Philly Naked Bike Ride. Two times I was there but not totally naked. Friction between the saddle and my skin caused some painful pinching. So I had a minimal piece of clothing on. Somebody suggested to buy a sheepskin saddle cover and I did. It arrived this morning.
Before the ride I want to test if the contraption is really that comfortable. But riding around in your birthday costume is not well received in my part of the world, so close to the Moravian stronghold Bethlehem. So I have to do it in stealth mode. I have to wait for an evening with almost no wind. I will wear a wide knee long skirt in commando style. With the skirt as a sort of tent hanging over the saddle, I will have the same situation as with the PNBR but fully covered up. If it works out to my expectation, my uniform at the PNBR will be from top to bottom: cap, sunglasses, watch and shoes.

@JeffB1959. It is in your hometown. Are you in the ride? Beside a bike, you can use a scooter, roller skates, unicycle or you can just jog. It is quite an event. It feels like the hippies from the 60s are back. It starts at 5PM and if you just want to watch, I can send you the route.
https://philadelphianakedbikeride.wordpress.com/
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: PNBR

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The site must be down as it did not work nor did the sites brought up by duckduckgo search engine or google search.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

No problems here. Maybe your provider has a decency filter built in. :wink:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:No problems here. Maybe your provider has a decency filter built in. :wink:
If they do this is the first time it has worked! :( I have viewed other sites that it did not kick and they were much more on the risqué side.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

If the link is not working for you, Google PNBR 2017 and you will be able to open the site.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I'm just back from my sheep skin saddle cover test. I tested it as stated in the first post and it is a keeper. It is smooth without getting sweltering. This is the way to go at the PNBR.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not to be "that guy" but I have a genuine curiosity, it looks as though photography is pretty restricted (one must register and follow the rules), yet this is on public streets?

How do they get around a photographers right to photograph on a public right of way?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reason for the rule, I just wonder how it's legally enforceable?

Also, upon reading the "FAQ" section, a question was asked if it was legal, to which the answer was basically they "haven't had a problem yet". I figured Pennsylvania to be more progressive than Virginia certainly, but still conservative enough to not exactly go for this... it's like something you'd expect in San Francisco.

Just wondering how you all dodge the legal bullets? Certainly there are people who would protest this and I'm curious as to how the event organizers handle these matters.

Again, not being provocative, I just tend to be somewhat of a legally minded fella and a hobby of mine is study of various laws and codes (and how to legally get around them... :wink: ) After all.... codes are made to be cracked! :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We have had naked bike ride events here in York. I think that they start in the City centre but don't know the route or where the finish is. I don't know if they are annual or not as they have not really piqued my interest enough to even go and spectate never mind participate. I'm not a prude and appearing naked for a bike ride wouldn't particularly bother me it's just not on my bucket list. I don't know when the last ride was or even when the next one is. As far as I know they are not illegal or anything.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Just wondering how you all dodge the legal bullets? Certainly there are people who would protest this and I'm curious as to how the event organizers handle these matters.
You're operating under the assumption that the US of A is a land governed by laws -- and you do so at your peril because it's operated now on whimsy and entirely arbitrarily, at least for "little people". Photography in public was first severely restricted in the aftermath of the events in September of 2001; one could get arrested and have his equipment confiscated for taking photographs of "significant structures" (which was left to the decision of the flatfoot that was on-scene). This cooled my jets in an instant, because I really loved doing architectural photography in addition to landscape work.

One would have to read not just the "laws" of Pennsylvania, but also local ordinances and county ordinances as well, and perhaps some Federal statutes as well to see if the event is in any way, shape, or form "legal". Whether it's "tolerated" or not (by turning a blind eye to the law for certain individuals) is another question altogether -- which calls into question the relevance of the law and what motivation the coppers might have on how to "selectively enforce" it. The law is now, in essence, what the copper says it is -- and what passes for courts usually back that up with teeth.

Recall that "bad law" is worse than no law at all, and if a law isn't respected it causes all sorts of issues. You mightn't recall the 1970s when the 55 MPH speed limit was enacted thereby turning the entire place into a nation of scofflaws because we've got highways designed for 70 and 75 and 55 was (and remains) too slow to be safe (although now the surface is so bad on most of the motorways that if you actually try to do the speed limit you'll damage your motorcar).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

moonshadow wrote:Not to be "that guy" but I have a genuine curiosity, it looks as though photography is pretty restricted (one must register and follow the rules), yet this is on public streets? ......
...... Also, upon reading the "FAQ" section, a question was asked if it was legal, to which the answer was basically they "haven't had a problem yet". I figured Pennsylvania to be more progressive than Virginia certainly, but still conservative enough to not exactly go for this... it's like something you'd expect in San Francisco. .....
Where the ride starts (will be announced 24 hours before), people will drop in and get ready for the ride. There are also some activities as body-painting. For taking pictures as an "outsider" you need permission.

As far as I know, the ride has permission for this event from the city as most other cities have obtained. Otherwise it would be quite a job to ticket 1000+ people, although not all are totally naked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Naked_Bike_Ride
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

So yesterday I went to Philly for the ride. It was chilly lately but on Saturday, it was just right for biking, even at 5PM. I had some trouble to get there from Allentown with a few accidents which I had to get around by some back roads. Thanks to my GPS I could manage. I just made it a few minutes to 5. With my sheepskin sadle cover I could bike comfortably in the nude. Along the route some people seemed shocked but most were cheering and doing hi-fives. Also a few weddings were photo-bombed. They can show something special to their grand-children. :wink:
Two hours later we had to get dressed again after a lot of fun, as I know it from the 60s and 70s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9UjXJy ... naMorozova

I'm passing between 12:05 and 12:28 at the left (for the viewers) with a black cap, sunglasses and a blue bike.
IMG_1260q.jpg
IMG_1264q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.