Eclipse 2017

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Eclipse 2017

Post by hoborob »

To answer your question Uncle Al the Locomotive in question is a 10-wheeler. On a 4-6-0 the drivers are equally spaced. The separation between the 2nd and 3rd drivers as compared to the 1st and second drivers is what marks this as a 10 wheeler. Technically it is a 4-6-0 but is differentiated because of the difference in how the drivers are setup under the engine.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Me and my partner drove up to Oregon on Saturday to avoid the predicted traffic jams. No traffic jams so the drive was nice. We camped out for a couple of nights in Prairie City, about 8 miles South of the Totality centerline. Totality where we were was 2 minutes, 6 seconds. If we were at the centerline, we'd only gain 4 seconds. Anyway...

This was the first time either of us had seen a total eclipse of the sun. He used to be into astronomy quite a bit and saw more eclipses that I. At Totality, the temperature dropped what seemed like 10-15 degrees. The sky was a dark blue and you could see a few stars and/or planets. Looking at the horizon, all 360 degrees, the light looked like sunrise or sunset. That means we could "see" the entire shadow of the moon. Sort of... :) Yes, Moonshadow... I thought of you!

After the eclipse was over, we packed up the car and drove back. We both saw parts of Northern California and Oregon that we've never seen before! My partner told me he has a cousin in Portland that he hasn't seen in a long time and we thought about adding Portland to our trip but I had to be back at work on Wednesday.

I didn't take any pictures because 1) I wanted to enjoy the moment and 2) there would be plenty of pics of the eclipse!

--Rick
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The California trip sounds like it was a lot of fun! I am envious! Someday I'll get out that way and explore the western side of the U.S.

I'm glad you had a good time and got to see the eclipse!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

moonshadow wrote:The California trip sounds like it was a lot of fun! I am envious! Someday I'll get out that way and explore the western side of the U.S.

I'm glad you had a good time and got to see the eclipse!
The trip was definitely a good memory. The local high school turned their baseball field into a makeshift campground that had 80 30'x30' campsites. We got to the campground Saturday evening around 7pm, when a lot of campers hadn't checked in yet. One good part of the trip was the comradery of the campers. People helping people, everyone in a great mood... very cool! The weather was quite warm during the day, around 85. At night it was COLD... about 45.

The traffic on the way back wasn't bad at all. Everyone was expecting massive traffic jams but it never materialized, which was good!

Never thought about bringing a skirt or a kilt. I was too busy thinking about packing as light as possible. Not much room in a small tent. Barely big enough for 2 people!

Thinking about the next total solar eclipse in 2024!

--Rick
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great account of and lovely pics from your trip, Moon.

Just found this one taken from Earth Orbit. You'd need to be an Astronaut to get one like that!, but at least there you're well way from the crowds and if you drop your camera it won't fall anywhere!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Just found this one taken from Earth Orbit.
Thanks for finding that, Tom -- that is an astounding shot!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:Just found this one taken from Earth Orbit.
Thanks for finding that, Tom -- that is an astounding shot!
Ahh... outer space, a place where trousers actually make sense... I mean, can you imagine a skirt in a 0-G environment? :oops:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Ahh... outer space, a place where trousers actually make sense... I mean, can you imagine a skirt in a 0-G environment? :oops:
Quite honestly I cannot conceive how unwieldy a skirt would be in microgravity. The same would go for baggy trousers as well -- especially given what the innards of spacecraft tend to look like. I'm thinking that more optimal would be very form-fitting garb that would make it difficult to snag things yet still retain some degree of modicum.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

moonshadow wrote:Ahh... outer space, a place where trousers actually make sense... I mean, can you imagine a skirt in a 0-G environment? :oops:
Well, you'd certainly get a good view of the full moon :D
Ralph!