Windows 10 Questions

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Windows 10 Questions

Post by Gordon »

I know that there are quite a few very computer literate people on this forum and so I thought that I'd start a thread where I can ask for some help. Windows 10 can be very frustrating for me over the few years I've been using it. I've tried to look at other forums on the web and haven't gotten good relevant answers so I thought I'd try here.

Why when I do a search in File Explorer it finds files but when I click on some of them it says; "Sorry, we couldn't find your file. Was moved, renamed, or deleted? If it's not there, why is it listed in the search results?

When I try to look at a folder full of pictures. I can click on one and it opens in some kind of viewer, not a problem. However, in older OS I could hit the arrow keys to scroll through them. In win 10, sometimes I can and sometimes I cannot. I have no idea what the viewer is called, however it did show up under Win 10.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Windows 10 Questions

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Gordon, there are about 10,000 things wrong with Lose10 and viewing pictures with it is a big one. Also I have Firefox as my default browser and it still goes to IE exploder when I click on some links and then I have to copy the address of the page I want and paste it on Firefox. I hate MicroSnot products.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I refused to take advantage of the "FREE" :twisted: upgrade to WIN-10.
I've seen enough 'crap' on my friends WIN-10 computer to have
no desire for it. He was having many problems. I did get his
machine to download Classic Shell and he was finally able
to use his machine. Also, it's FREE :D

If you're on WIN-10 and want the screen of WIN-7, try the
download. It will work great :!: :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Gordon, there are about 10,000 things wrong with Lose10 and viewing pictures with it is a big one. Also I have Firefox as my default browser and it still goes to IE exploder when I click on some links and then I have to copy the address of the page I want and paste it on Firefox. I hate MicroSnot products.

Fred
This.
I run a GNU/Linux distribution as my OS and so far it has proven to be very reliable for me. Installing a GNU/Linux distribution on your computer is a true free upgrade, free as in no cost and free as in freedom.
らき☆
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I don't see anything wrong with Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016, either one. Improvements in multiple areas....and it's nice to have both client and server essentially the same. Changes to the GUIs can be more or less painful, but PowerShell ameliorates that to a great extent.

I also had no problems with Windows Vista. It worked just fine, no matter what the naysayers and purveyors of doom said.

FWIW, I also have a machine running:
- Kali Linux
- OpenBSD
- Ubuntu Desktop
- Ubuntu Server

My main client stays out there on the "bleeding" edge. Most others are a fair mix of XP through 10.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Uncle Al wrote: I did get his
machine to download Classic Shell and he was finally able
to use his machine. Also, it's FREE
I use and like Classic Shell. A couple times, with Win 10 periodic updates, they got rid of it and I had to reinstall.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Darryl wrote:I don't see anything wrong with Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016, either one. Improvements in multiple areas....and it's nice to have both client and server essentially the same. Changes to the GUIs can be more or less painful, but PowerShell ameliorates that to a great extent.

I also had no problems with Windows Vista. It worked just fine, no matter what the naysayers and purveyors of doom said.

FWIW, I also have a machine running:
- Kali Linux
- OpenBSD
- Ubuntu Desktop
- Ubuntu Server

My main client stays out there on the "bleeding" edge. Most others are a fair mix of XP through 10.
Agreed, I have never felt the need for the classic shell either, I avoided Win 8 and 8.1 but apart from an initial bit of hunting for some bits I really like Win 10. My biggest gripe with Microshaft is what they did to the 2007 version of Microshaft Orificr. When they switched to a ribbon and removed the menus I found everything took twice as many clicks, if you could find it at all. Even now with the 2016 version it is better than the 2007 version but still far less easy to use than the ancient 2002 version was.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Gordon wrote:Why when I do a search in File Explorer it finds files but when I click on some of them it says; "Sorry, we couldn't find your file. Was moved, renamed, or deleted? If it's not there, why is it listed in the search results?

When I try to look at a folder full of pictures. I can click on one and it opens in some kind of viewer, not a problem. However, in older OS I could hit the arrow keys to scroll through them. In win 10, sometimes I can and sometimes I cannot. I have no idea what the viewer is called, however it did show up under Win 10.
There may be several reasons why your files may show as not being there, and these appear in probably most versions of Windows therefore if you are trying other forums then check earlier solutions too.

Have you checked the properties of the 'missing' file? Is it a file or a shortcut to a file?
Explorer can cache files/thumbnails etc. and occasionally, when a cached shortcut is present, this can give the impression that a file is there when it isn't.
It may be worth clearing explorer history under View, Options, General -> Clear File Explorer history.

Sometimes when files are deleted, the reference to the file remains on the system (even though it shouldn't of course).
Local Drive Properties, Tools -> Check lets you run error checking on the drive. This is perhaps worth a try.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

SkirtsDad wrote:
Gordon wrote:Why when I do a search in File Explorer it finds files but when I click on some of them it says; "Sorry, we couldn't find your file. Was moved, renamed, or deleted? If it's not there, why is it listed in the search results?

There may be several reasons why your files may show as not being there, and these appear in probably most versions of Windows therefore if you are trying other forums then check earlier solutions too.

Have you checked the properties of the 'missing' file? Is it a file or a shortcut to a file?
Explorer can cache files/thumbnails etc. and occasionally, when a cached shortcut is present, this can give the impression that a file is there when it isn't.
It may be worth clearing explorer history under View, Options, General -> Clear File Explorer history.

Sometimes when files are deleted, the reference to the file remains on the system (even though it shouldn't of course).
Local Drive Properties, Tools -> Check lets you run error checking on the drive. This is perhaps worth a try.
Being unable to select a renamed file or deleted file even though it looks like it is still there, that was a trick that Windows 7 used to pull on me. I had forgotten about that and haven't had that happen to me since I upgraded to Win 10. I guess it is a quirk of the disk cache, either Windows is looking in a cache which has not yet been written to the disk, or it is looking at the disk and the cache hasnt updated, bad programming either way. I don't get that problem anymore, it would be interesting to see if the problem goes away if you disable all cacheing for the drive.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Big and Bashful wrote: My biggest gripe with Microshaft is what they did to the 2007 version of Microshaft Orificr. When they switched to a ribbon and removed the menus I found everything took twice as many clicks, if you could find it at all. Even now with the 2016 version it is better than the 2007 version but still far less easy to use than the ancient 2002 version was.
Why not try LibreOffice instead? LibreOffice has an interface similar to old versions of MS Office.
らき☆
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Judah14 wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote: My biggest gripe with Microshaft is what they did to the 2007 version of Microshaft Orificr. When they switched to a ribbon and removed the menus I found everything took twice as many clicks, if you could find it at all. Even now with the 2016 version it is better than the 2007 version but still far less easy to use than the ancient 2002 version was.
Why not try LibreOffice instead? LibreOffice has an interface similar to old versions of MS Office.
Because as an Orifice user at work, and because of who I work for, I can get the full version of Microsoft Office with all the extras for under £10 legally. Also because I use it at work and so am used to it, I have been using it in various incarnations right back to Word version 2.0 and used to teach people to use it back then. I have tried OpenOffice but found it was too much like stepping back in time, not the interface, but the lack of capability. Libreoffice? I will click you link and have a look now. Fanks!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

For Microsoft, the problem with Office it that even old versions had all the functionality 99.9% of the customers could ever want. So how do they get everyone to upgrade? They move everything around so you can't find it and then call the result easier to use.

Same with Windows.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:For Microsoft, the problem with Office it that even old versions had all the functionality 99.9% of the customers could ever want. So how do they get everyone to upgrade? They move everything around so you can't find it and then call the result easier to use.

Same with Windows.
One of the reasons why people will upgrade is that some functionalities will no longer be available. Also older version of office, i.e. office 2000 will not work under windows 7. So if your PC has given all it had, than you are forced to upgrade or go for free stuff and have all the ads bothering you while working.

On the subject of windows 7 or 10, I upgraded from Vista to 7 to 10 and after a year my pc went on the blink. The Bleu Screen of Death was there each and every moment so after some deliberation and much time spend to find a solution, I bought a new desktop and surprise, surprise, under one account it gave also the BSoD. Any suggestions how to counter that?
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Gusto10 wrote: One of the reasons why people will upgrade is that some functionalities will no longer be available. Also older version of office, i.e. office 2000 will not work under windows 7. So if your PC has given all it had, than you are forced to upgrade or go for free stuff and have all the ads bothering you while working.

On the subject of windows 7 or 10, I upgraded from Vista to 7 to 10 and after a year my pc went on the blink. The Bleu Screen of Death was there each and every moment so after some deliberation and much time spend to find a solution, I bought a new desktop and surprise, surprise, under one account it gave also the BSoD. Any suggestions how to counter that?
I personally would suggest you to install a GNU/Linux OS (like Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora) on your computer instead of Windows, for many reasons aside from being more stable. I avoid Microsoft products completely and prefer to use free (as in freedom) and open source software.
らき☆
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Judah14 wrote:
Gusto10 wrote: One of the reasons why people will upgrade is that some functionalities will no longer be available. Also older version of office, i.e. office 2000 will not work under windows 7. So if your PC has given all it had, than you are forced to upgrade or go for free stuff and have all the ads bothering you while working.

I personally would suggest you to install a GNU/Linux OS (like Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora) on your computer instead of Windows, for many reasons aside from being more stable. I avoid Microsoft products completely and prefer to use free (as in freedom) and open source software.
I appreciate the thought, but having to use various extranets for with the "key" only fits windows...