Real Men?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Real Men?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Received this in my inbox this afternoon thought you all might find it interesting:
real men.jpg.jpg
Any comments?????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Real Men?

Post by Gordon »

One mold doesn't fit everyone
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

....no AMEN from me, that's for sure. Furthermore we spell it 'Mould' on this side of the 'Pond'

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Gordon wrote:One mold doesn't fit everyone
Agreed.

And the author seems to imagine that everybody is living in a 19th century frontier, but I live in a 21st century city.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Any comments?????
Well, for one. the thing reeks of machismo (and see some of my other commentary about that). It's also unrealistic in the way it characterises things. One does not have to resort to violence to protect one's family or one's interests -- street sense and common sense usually do just fine. We're supposedly sentient creatures: this means that we can think our way out of trouble instead of taking the overt risk of violence -- and we have lots of tools in our kit to do so.

There is still a tiny remnant of the "protector" role in there, but the best way of protecting is to not get into trouble in the first place. However, that never shows up on the RADAR so it's discounted as a strategy. Something that didn't happen never happened so it doesn't make the news. Men can function as men just fine without the macho bull-sh!t -- and I'd posit are better men for functioning without it.

Sure, being ready to rise to a challenge is "manly", but there's also that sometimes troublesome rule: "Don't become part of the problem." Machismo is vastly more likely to make you part of the problem than removing yourself from it.

Impression of the clip? Thumbs down.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Is it me or do I detect the smell of satire in the tone of the article? At least I hope that there's humour in it - if it's truly serious then I think I'd be worried. The author doesn't have the characteristics of no forehead and walking on their knuckles does he? It certainly wouldn't get any support from here.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I hope there is an inoculation for that mould, it should be a dying breed. A hairy back and baggy pants are OK if that's your choice, but guns and knives .....
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I don't care about being masculine or a real man. But I live and work on a farm. Guns are helpful for animal pests and some butchering. A knife is an everyday tool. However, I am a Christian committed to nonviolence.

Let each person be himself without worrying about sex-role stereotypes.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

written by a redneck republican?
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

I think that piece is a good example of "Testosterone Poisoning", which involves playing up masculine stereotypes to ridiculous levels.
らき☆
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gusto10 wrote:written by a redneck republican?
Just remember, you can't deplore them... they's born here.... :lol: :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Even some of my (very conservative) female friends have posted that on Facebook. I went off on a rant about forcing young men into stereotypes, and what a slap in the face it is for a man who can protect and provide for his family without growing a beard or carrying a gun (or who prefers wearing skinny jeans!).
Ralph!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ralph wrote:Even some of my (very conservative) female friends have posted that on Facebook. I went off on a rant about forcing young men into stereotypes, and what a slap in the face it is for a man who can protect and provide for his family without growing a beard or carrying a gun (or who prefers wearing skinny jeans!).
And I believe that's one of the main reasons men avoid skirts and anything that may even remotely be "feminine" like the plague. Most women (well into the majority) do not want a man who's overly feminine, or even wears that which would be considered a "women's garment" (I.E. a skirt)

I know Carl speaks of the "Bozo filter", however there just isn't a lot of "non-Bozo" women out there. I'd estimate out of 1,000 women, maybe one might be okay with her boyfriend/husband wearing a "women's" skirt. Since the balance of sex power remains in the woman's favor, (we are the chasers, they are the chased) I don't expect this to change any time soon. Most men just want to get laid.... that's it, that's their reason for living, and they're not going to bother with anything that hurts their chances in that endevour.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'd say maybe one out of a thousand men out there aren't thinking about sex during every waking minute and might consider wearing a skirt. Now, the odds of the female 1/1000 meeting the male 1/1000 are pretty slim indeed.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

moonshadow wrote:Most women (well into the majority) do not want a man who's overly feminine, or even wears that which would be considered a "women's garment" (I.E. a skirt)
It's worse than that. The vast majority of people on the planet seem to have ZERO tolerance for any deviation from the socially accepted standards for "normal". Men who present as men but wear skirts, men who dress as women part-time, men who consider themselves women some or all of the time, pre-op transsexual, post-op transsexual, non-binary, genderfluid, gay, bi... as far as the "normal" population concerned, we're all freaks of nature, unwelcome, a menace to polite society, no different from pedophiles, necrophiles, and people who have sex with goats.

Feeling very discouraged tonight :-(

On a positive note, I met a young translady yesterday. The first thing that caught my eye was that she was wearing a maxi dress *exactly* my preferred style, slimming and right down to her ankles, and only when I heard her voice did I start to wonder... then I checked her facebook profile and discovered that she's transgender. Her family even still lists her as brother/son (possibly because of denial, more likely because it just never occurred to them that they need to change that relationship setting). Very obviously pre-op and non-HRT, as her voice was deeper than my own (and I sing bass). Some of the people at the table I happen to know are the same ones who jumped on the "I will take a gun to any tranny [sic] going into the bathroom with my daughter", and I wondered if that's how they reacted knowing this friendly young lady was just the kind of person they are perfectly OK threatening with murder when it's an abstract, anonymous person they don't know personally.
Ralph!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Hmmmmmm....

Maybe we can find a 'love potion' to bring those ladies into our lair.... :evil:

One potion to attract them,
One ring to find them,
One ring to bring them,
One ring to bind them,.... :shock: