Food and Drink

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Food and Drink

Post by Kirbstone »

Fred,
I expect it's pretty hot most days now in S. Carolina, so light meals with salads must reign. I'm impressed you're familiar with Irish brown soda bread, I cheat and buy 'Odlums brown sodabread mix in the supermarket. a Euro 2.99-size packet will make three loaves, each one lasts me a week. Just mix with tap water, cook at 170 deg. for 50 mins & Bingo!

Living with MOH means I seldom get anywhere near the Bridge (kitchen) and I'm delegated menial tasks like laying the table and pouring out the drinks, which most days is just a jug of tap water with ice in it. Today was Saturday and MOH produced (bought) Asparagus tips in butter, followed by some very nice lamb with our own garden veg.....new potatoes, brocolli, peas and carrot. Raspberries & loganberries , meringue & cream to follow. Could have been worse....weevily ships biscuit, for example.
We keep hens and have eggs to make the meringues......More sugar!

This called for something more interesting to accompany it, so out came the Merlot 2012, to which I have no objection at all.

Tom

P.S. The galley-slavery from 08.00 hours on the Morrow will blow most of those calories away, big-time!
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Tom,
I used to have a very large list of recipes that I cooked or baked on a regular basis. That was when I had a big extended family to fix for. I also had this recipe for this:

Irish Soda Bread

16 servings

What You Need
3-1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut up
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup currants

Make It

HEAT oven to 350°F.

MIX flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and currants;
stir just until moistened.

PLACE dough on lightly floured surface; knead 10 times. Shape
into 2-1/2-inch-thick round. Place on baking sheet sprayed with
cooking spray. Cut deep 1/2-inch "X" in top of dough; sprinkle
with remaining sugar.

BAKE 1 hour or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet
to wire rack; cool completely before cutting into wedges.

Tips
Storage Know-How
Store leftover bread in resealable plastic bag at room temperature
up to 24 hours. Or, for longer storage, wrap tightly and freeze up
to 2 months; thaw at room temperature before serving.

Special Extra
Add 2 to 3 tsp. caraway seed to flour mixture along with the
buttermilk and currants.

Substitute
Substitute raisins for the currants

I know it is not authentic for the purest but it does taste good.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Here is a nice salad recipe for these hot summer days: :sunny:

Spinach and Raspberry Salad with Glazed Almonds

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

1/3 cup slivered blanched almonds
5 Tbsp. sugar, divided
3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. poppy seeds
6 oz. ready-to-use baby spinach leaves
6 oz. fresh raspberries
2 green onions, sliced

Directions:

In small nonstick skillet, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until sugar melts and coats the almonds and almonds are golden brown, stirring frequently. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
In small bowl, beat vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and mustard with wire whisk until blended. Whisk in oil until thick and well blended. Stir in poppy seed.
In large shallow bowl, toss spinach with dressing. Top with raspberries, green onions and almonds. Serve immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers.

I have over 120,000 recipes in a date base on my computer. So if you need a recipe just let me know.
Fred :chef:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

You're certainly something of a gourmond, Fred.

That Irish sodabread reciepe with the currants in sounds like what we call Barm Breac, pronounced brack. More of a cake, really At Halloween we have that with a ring hidden in, so the finder gets luck, or something. Hopefully not a broken tooth!. I have mine just plain, like a loaf for slicing.

Interesting how you say you had a large extended family, but now you're on your own. Is that by choice? Right now all mine have scarpered off down to Kerry leaving me here to hold the Stockade until Thursday, when I will join them for our forthcoming long August Bank holiday. This means I'm self-catering for a few days. I can also get on with a bit of skirting.

From our sailboat down there we will no doubt fish for Mackerel, which are certainly on the very short list for Best Eating on the Planet. Climbing in & out of a sailing dinghy off a beach is no place for a skirt, however.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Speaking of fish: the Dutch are famous for their fermented herring.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soused_herring

Where I lived, The Hague, there is a fishing village Scheveningen, now part of The Hague. Friends of my father from the village brought fish, straight from the sea every Friday. As a kid I hated fish and my father was such a good cook with fish. Later I started to enjoy the fish and I still regret my youthful silliness. Then I only ate pickled herring. I worked at a shipyard and when a department hit a million mark in sales, there was a huge plate of fermented herring and chopped onions. And we ate it in the traditional way, head bent backwards, the herring with onions held by the tail and down the hatch it went.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:Speaking of fish: the Dutch are famous for their fermented herring.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soused_herring. Then I only ate pickled herring. I worked at a shipyard and when a department hit a million mark in sales, there was a huge plate of fermented herring and chopped onions. And we ate it in the traditional way, head bent backwards, the herring with onions held by the tail and down the hatch it went.
Sounds like what we did as teens daring each other to eat Goldfish. :rofl: We held it by the tail head as far back as we could get it and down the hatch. Oh by the by the fish were still alive! :pukel:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Here is one for the hearty appitite:

Matambre with Chimichurri Sauce

Ingredients
Flank Steak:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for oiling the grill grates
2 links (about 6 ounces) fresh chorizo, removed from casings
One 1 1/2-pound flank steak
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
1/3 cup green olives with pimiento
2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño slices
2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 peeled hard-boiled eggs, quartered lengthwise
1 medium carrot, cut into 3-by-1/4-inch sticks
1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips

Chimichurri Sauce:

1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Kosher salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
For the flank steak: Prepare an outdoor grill for cooking over direct and indirect heat (if your grill has a thermometer, aim to keep the temperature at about 350 degrees F throughout grilling).

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring and finely crumbling with a wooden spoon until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and let cool.

Set the flank steak on a cutting board. Use a knife to score the steak down the middle against the grain, halfway through its thickness. Working from the center line, out toward the edges, cut thin flaps from the score to the edge, like a gatefold. Pound with the flat side of a meat mallet to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. Sprinkle both sides of the steak with salt and pepper and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Chop the cilantro, parsley, olives, pickled jalapeños and garlic together on a cutting board to make a chunky paste. Brush the steak with the mustard. Spread the herb paste over the steak, leaving empty a 1-inch border around the edges. Pat to adhere the paste to the meat. Starting a third of the way in from the right, make 4 equidistant lines of egg. Between the egg lines, mound lines of chorizo, then carrots and then peppers, covering all but that first third of the steak's surface. Roll the steak around the fillings like a jelly roll, from the filled to the empty side. Tie closed at 2-inch intervals around the circumference with kitchen twine. Tie 1 more piece of twine lengthwise around the meat.

Lightly oil the grill grates. Grill the steak on the direct-heat side of the grill to brown all 4 sides, about 2 minutes per side. Move the steak to the indirect-heat side of the grill, cover and cook, turning occasionally and testing the temperature frequently, until the very center reads 115 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, for a steak that is well-done on the outside and medium-rare in the center, 25 to 30 minutes more. Transfer the matambre to a cutting board to rest.

For the chimichurri sauce: Finely chop the cilantro, parsley and garlic on a cutting board. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the red pepper flakes, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the olive oil.

Untie and slice the flank steak into 6-thick slices on a slight bias. Serve with the chimichurri sauce for drizzling.

Enjoy :chef:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I had this in Uruguay, matambre relleno. I'm not much of a meat connoisseur but I liked this very much.
My partner was Italian but had lived in Uruguay for 25 year. She was a real kitchen princess as we say in the Netherlands. After we broke up I lost 20 lbs in a few years until I came down to a healthy BMI.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Some of you should be very familiar with this one:

Colcannon (Cabbage and Potatoes)

Ingredients:

3 lbs yellow or red potatoes , peeled & quartered
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup butter
6 slices bacon
1 white onion , diced
1/2 head of cabbage (approx. 6 cups)
3 tablespoons butter , melted

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook potatoes 12-15 minutes or until fork tender.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large pan until crisp. Set aside to cool, reserve drippings.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the bacon drippings. Cook onion and cabbage over medium heat in drippings until onion is translucent and cabbage is tender.
Mash potatoes adding cream and 1/4 cup butter as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Gently fold together mashed potatoes, cabbage & onions and chopped bacon. Top with additional melted butter if desired.

I hope you will enjoy it. :chef:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A bit like the late craze to taste 'new' Beaujolais Nouveau, the fashionable expensive London restaurants engaged in a 'race' to serve Grouse on the 'Glorious 12th' of August, when the Season starts.
Not long ago I read of individuals with more money than sense engaging an RAF fighter supersonic aircraft to fly down from Scotland to London (over the North Sea of course) to deliver a few brace of birds shot that morning for the table.

Ahem! :x

Tom

P>S> Reminds me of that frequently seen little notice over 'ye olde cranium cracker' low beam in an English pub....Duck or Grouse!