Some British Humor

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
stevelous

Re: Some British Humor

Post by stevelous »

I am quite a fan of Jack Dee and his deadpan humour. Mind I used to love radio comedy in the 70's and I can still remember some of the sketches.

As a teenager I was introduced to the Goons by way of rebroadcast episodes then LP. Spike Milligan was a genius, Peter Sellers and Harry Sceacombe. For a good read try Spikes war memoirs, funny, sad and above all a record of his early rise to stardom.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

They made such a lasting impact that it is hard to think that there were ever only twelve episodes of 'Fawlty Towers' broadcast.

A few months ago in Newbrige, our local Irish provincial town, the hotel advertised a Fawlty Towers evening with dinner. This was very well subscribed, so on the night the three professionals who played Basil, Sybil and Manuel found themselves playing to in excess of one hundred people.

Inevitaby the 'service' was slow, but the troupe played out the very best bits from the entire selection of episodes, so every person in that large room was in fits of laughter.

The meal when it arrived was of a very high order and the evening was great success, evidence that the British Humour dispensed by John Cleeves & cast lives on in perpetuity.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Sinned wrote:pelmut thanks for that.

Perhaps one of the more subtle jokes I remember is two blokes talking and one says to the other, "I passed your house this morning." And the other one says, "Thank you."
The alternative (less appropriate when the Mother-in-Law is around) answer to that is "Bet that made your eyes water."

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Spike Milligan always used to say that he was one of the few who was sane as he had the certificates to prove it. If comedy required that touch of genius that Spike had it in spades. Peter Sellers showed his true genius when he starred in a comedy called All Right Jack in which he played a union leader called Fred Kite. The humour came from the complete satire on union militancy in the 1950's and what made the part so funny is that PS played the part so straight with the Hitler moustache as the crowning touch. Black humour at its best and one Carl would appreciate. The Goons were favourites of mine and there are so many one-liners from their shows.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

It may be difficult to find any examples now, but I always enjoyed watching Michael Bentine (sometimes known as the fourth Goon, as I believe he was involved in some of the early work). He was behind a Children's TV programme featuring 'The Bumblies', which were early remote control devices, as well as programmes on both BBC and the independent networks called 'Square World', 'All Square' etc.