Happy 4th of July

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Happy 4th of July

Post by mishawakaskirt »

While I know that this does not quite apply to every one everywhere in the world.
If you live in a country that has internet connectivity and allows you to come to this site, you live in a free country. Take today to remember those who died around the world durring world war one and two, to help protect the world from evil. Spend time with the ones you love and remember freedom is not free. May you all
Have a happy and safe 4th!

Mishawaka
(If God offends you) dont read the following.)
While I am certainly thankful for the sacrifices men and woman have made to protect the world from evil and protect our civic freedoms.
I am even more thankful for the sacrifice Jesus made to give men the opportunity to have freedom from sin and salvation from the judgement of God.
In short No Jesus, No Peace, know Jesus, Know Peace where true freedom comes
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Happy 4th of July

Post by beachlion »

Happy Independence Day.
The Dutch had to fight 80 years before they became free.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighty_Years%27_War

So we have some experience with that. And we are not even celebrating that war. Instead we celebrate the last liberation from evil, WW2, on the 5th of May.

The BBQ is ready to be fired up. And the Stars and Stripes are flying in the wind in the back yard. As a Dutchman, I'm easy to adapt to the local folclore. Especially when it is about food. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For those in the USA this day is celebrated as our independence from England, when we became a nation free of the rule of the Monarch of England. We also use it to remember all of those who have fought and died for the continued freedom we enjoy today.
Say a great big thanks to every GI you see.
Happy Independence day
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

There are fascinating stories and lore that surround the time period of when the U.S. declared independence from England. Suffice it to say, it goes much deeper than what I learned in middle school, and the stories continue to this present day and most likely beyond. As is pointed out on our currency, we as a species (the world over) were about to enter "the new order of the ages", a complete paradigm shift from the older way of thinking and doing things.

A school of thought I subscribe to is that of astrotheology as I believe it's a fascinating subject and it's story weaves into the very fabric of the American experience. I find it a striking coincidence that so many of our national monuments represent progressive tendencies, personal enlightenment, etc. Also consider the fact that the nation was founded right before the beginning of the age of Aquarius which some disciplines put between the present day and around 2500A.D.

When I take a moment to consider all of this, it frankly sends chills down my spine to consider what powers that be (or were) knew and were trying to propagate.

You mention the role of Jesus, and when we consider the bible story, it's like looking through the Hubble telescope of human culture, it amazes me how it all ties together. The second coming of "Christ" foretold in the bible is to be in the age of the water bearer. (Aquarius) which is generally regarded to be a time of Christ reign, peace, tolerance, compassion, and love. However as it currently stands, there is a growing movement to thwart this progression of human evolution, to retard our society back into the dark ages of fear, hate, envy, and bigotry. If Christ is love, and all powerful, that will surely be tested in the coming centuries. We will either evolve, or blow ourselves to bits. The choice is ours.

Independence day indeed! It may surprise many of you the thought and appreciation I have for what I believe to be the core purpose of our independence. I have my own view on things, and it's not exactly the stuff of patriotic country music songs... :wink:

But it means a lot to me anyway... :)

And let us not forget our brothers and sisters on the other side of the pond. Though we had our squabbles 250 odd some years ago (as families tend to), their culture has been woven into our own. We are allies now, on the same side, and I believe working together towards the social and cultural evolution of the human species and the virtues I mentioned above. Britain is probably our closest ally today. No matter what kind of stupid crap our administration turns out, I know they'll always be in our corner, and I like to think that no matter what should before our friends over yonder we too, have their back. I know I'd gladly board a ship and take up arms in defense of our British brothers should they find themselves backed into a corner! :toast:

Blessed Be,

-MS
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote:Also consider the fact that the nation was founded right before the beginning of the age of Aquarius which some disciplines put between the present day and around 2500A.D.
Interesting. All I know about the age of Aquarius is the song from the musical "Hair".
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:Britain is probably our closest ally today.
Well, your closest superpower ally, at least. Or your closest ally not within driving distance. Or your closest ally that produces Dr. Who.

But certainly NOT your closest ally whose current monarch is Elizabeth II. Or with whom you do the most trade.

:mrgreen:
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: I like to think that no matter what should before our friends over yonder we too, have their back. I know I'd gladly board a ship and take up arms in defense of our British brothers should they find themselves backed into a corner! :toast:
Well, at this point we don't need to take up arms. But we could help by offering a good trade deal. There are two problems:

1. The expectation that the European Union will try to make an example of Britain for daring to vote for Brexit.

2. The perception by governments that the British will be negotiating from a position of weakness-that the Brits will be so desperate for trade deals that bad deals can be foisted on them.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fred in Skirts wrote:For those in the USA this day is celebrated as our independence from England, when we became a nation free of the rule of the Monarch of England. We also use it to remember all of those who have fought and died for the continued freedom we enjoy today.
Happy Independence day
Slight correction required. You were fighting the British, not just the English. Thus, you gained independence not from England, but rather Britain - and the British monarch. Just saying. :-)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ray wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:For those in the USA this day is celebrated as our independence from England, when we became a nation free of the rule of the Monarch of England. We also use it to remember all of those who have fought and died for the continued freedom we enjoy today.
Happy Independence day
Slight correction required. You were fighting the British, not just the English. Thus, you gained independence not from England, but rather Britain - and the British monarch. Just saying. :-)
Same thing to us yanks!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's like us lumping all Americans together As I am discovering the South still comprises a completely different characteristic to the North and the East from the West. Even those in the middle are, well, different. I suppose that they are one nation united, and divided, by living on the same land mass.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Ray wrote:
Happy Independence day
You never were the strongest at geography.....

....they are different. You're from Canada, yes?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Ray wrote:Slight correction required. You were fighting the British, not just the English. Thus, you gained independence not from England, but rather Britain - and the British monarch. Just saying. :-)
Sadly, that's one of the reasons Yanks tend to get looked down upon once off home turf.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Also consider the fact that the nation was founded right before the beginning of the age of Aquarius which some disciplines put between the present day and around 2500A.D.
Interesting. All I know about the age of Aquarius is the song from the musical "Hair".
Yes It's a fascinating subject, one that I look forward to getting back into while in the coming months. We go back to the ancient Hebrews and their worship of the golden calf (what they were worshiping when Moses handed down the ten commandments), the golden calf represents the sun in the age of Taurus, Finally they enter into the age of Aries, the Ram (Abram), that goes on for a bit until Jesus, the fisherman (Pisces) comes into the scene, and now in the coming centuries, we enter the "dawning of the age of Aquarius"

Of course, I tend to view astrology as I view gender roles, somewhat arbitrary and the result of human customs, but like gender roles, it's still an interesting study into the human experience.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...] that goes on for a bit until Jesus, the fisherman (Pisces) [...]
I thought he was a carpenter.
Of course, I tend to view astrology as I view gender roles, somewhat arbitrary and the result of human customs, but like gender roles, it's still an interesting study into the human experience.
Or, as it might be otherwise put, utter rubbish. There's some nice folklore in there, as well as some great allegory, but the bald fact exist that life in those times was short, brutish, and dangerous. Recall, also, that the desert gods are amongst the nastiest and pettiest pieces of work going.

On astrology, it's worth noting that the USA has more professional astrologers than it does astronomers -- itself a sad commentary.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:...it's worth noting that the USA has more professional astrologers than it does astronomers --
I've always felt that calculus is related to mathematics in the same way that astrology is related to astronomy.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.