A new view of planet Saturn

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

A new view of planet Saturn

Post by Uncle Al »

This is INTERESTING :!:

For detailed information -Cassini beams back the closest EVER images of Saturn

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A new view of planet Saturn

Post by Judah14 »

The picture in the post above is an artist's impression. For the actual photographs see https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/galleries/raw-images/.
らき☆
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Regardless, the picture is fantasticly beautiful.

A few YouTube clips from the Cassini Space Craft

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

The money they spent on the journey and satellite, you'd think they would have stuck a colour video camera in a corner somewhere! Even a gopro!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was born in 1956, the right time to see the early stage of space exploration unfold:

1. The first humans in space...the first humans to walk on the moon.

2. Far reaching exploration of the solar system with robotic probes.

With number 2 we have had a scientific revolution that stretches the mind :idea: -our ideas about the other planets turned out to be simplistic.

There have been two other scientific revolutions during my lifetime. Consider the detection of exoplanets-the planets of other solar systems. (The third was a Dinosaur Renaissance).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:2. Far reaching exploration of the solar system with robotic probes.
We're actually outside the solar system and on into interstellar space -- and have been since 2012 when Voyager I passed beyond the Heliosheath where Voyager II is exploring at the moment.

I managed to miss the first humans in space, but the Moon landings galvanised me into going into technology, and I've been following the achievements of our robotic ambassadors ever since the Viking probes went to Mars and successfully made propulsive landings. I've been following the Voyagers since they were launched, and still marvel at what Cassini-Huygens have done in the Saturnian system. I was saddened by the antenna failure on Galileo, but a good bit of detail got back to Earth anyway, albeit very slowly. I witnessed Deep Impact and New Horizons depart Florida, as well as Shuttle Columbia's final launch. It's been a wild ride.

I fervently hope that we find evidence of life -- of any sort -- elsewhere, especially if it's in our own stellar backyard. That, once and for all, will shut down the notion that humans are somehow "special" and we'll finally be able to accept our place as part of a larger universe -- and I really hope we won't try to screw with any other forms of life we find. We've screwed ourselves up quite enough, let's not pass that 'round. My primary worry is that NASA are so LASER-focussed on water and carbon; is it possible that other combinations might produce life and, perhaps intelligence that we would not even recognise?

Exoplanets were pretty much to be expected if the model that we think produced our local solar-system held true (and physics tends to be physics no matter where you are in our universe), so that didn't surprise me much at all. What was impressive, however, were the tactics and the sensitivity of the instruments that made the discoveries.

I enjoy the "dinosaur revolution" but notice that we still have the family aves still listed on the roster instead of dinosauria. Old habits die hard I suppose.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Not necessarily....

"I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd." - Jn 10:16 NIV

I would say there are humanoids throughout the multiverse and hopefully most of them avoided the devolution into trouser-wearing and are still comfortable in their skirts and long, shirt-like garments. :farao:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Darryl wrote: I would say there are humanoids throughout the multiverse and hopefully most of them avoided the devolution into trouser-wearing and are still comfortable in their skirts and long, shirt-like garments. :farao:
I wonder if many others got into the perversion of feeling they needed to keep their bodies covered.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote:
Darryl wrote:"I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd." - Jn 10:16 NIV
I wonder if many others got into the perversion of feeling they needed to keep their bodies covered.
If they have the same indoctrination as the humanoids that occupy this planet then they will certainly be as screwed up as we are, with all the same foibles, vices, and pestilences. The best hope is that they are free from such distractions. But, then again, if this is the lot of "intelligent creatures" at least we have the occasional extinction to solve the problem when it gets out of hand.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Jim wrote:
Darryl wrote: I would say there are humanoids throughout the multiverse and hopefully most of them avoided the devolution into trouser-wearing and are still comfortable in their skirts and long, shirt-like garments. :farao:
That would, I believe, depend on the levels of glaciation. :shock:

Of perhaps more interest would be their tendency towards peace or warfare. How do they define 'good?' "Evil?' Cross-fertility? Cuteness. S....ummm, that should suffice. :roll:
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Darryl wrote: That would, I believe, depend on the levels of glaciation. :shock:

Of perhaps more interest would be their tendency towards peace or warfare. How do they define 'good?' "Evil?' Cross-fertility? Cuteness. S....ummm, that should suffice. :roll:
There are times when safety requirements dictate trousers to be worn, like in construction and other industries. And there are protective garments like spacesuits that have to go with trousers.
らき☆
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

I would just like to say that I, for one, and grateful you didn't choose to post picture of uranus.
[pauses to snicker like the 12-year-old I self-identify as]
Ralph!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Beautiful artwork that David Cameron (Avatar) would approve of. As B&B remarked, pity Cassini was equipped with only a b&w camera. Look forward to its final pics. just the same.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Kirbstone wrote:Beautiful artwork that David Cameron (Avatar) would approve of. As B&B remarked, pity Cassini was equipped with only a b&w camera. Look forward to its final pics. just the same.

Tom
Ahem, I believe you mean James Cameron :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too right, DC. Got it wrong, didn't I ? :eye: Btw. I wonder what said David C. is up to now, having set up a right storm while he was at No.10.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !