A Question

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

A Question

Post by john62 »

Which do you think is more difficult for Joe or Jill Public to get their head around,
1) wearing a knee length or shorter skirt with tights or leggings or
2) wearing an ankle length or floor sweeper skirt.

John
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Question

Post by partlyscot »

Only half the question, leaves too many options open. How short? What is the material of the long skirt? I still don't get it right as to what peoples reactions are going to be.

You have to consider the whole package, how the look goes together.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Knee length seems to be the most ignored length, or slightly above. Maybe because the "accepted" skirt, i.e. a kilt is also around that length. As mentioned in many other threads, knee length denim seems to pass unnoticed almost anywhere. I have had the same skirt made in both knee and ankle length, hardly ever had comments about either, I do prefer the long one as it provides better cover with less effort, just like a pair of jeans would.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Yes I know there are many variables but I am more interested in what people think is generally the case in that are others more accepting of a shorter or longer skirt.

John
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Which length is more acceptable to most people? I have no idea. I never took a survey. Frankly, I could care less. I have a few long skirts and a couple maxi dresses, but I almost always wear skirts and dresses that come to just above the knee and get lots of compliments on how I look.

The biggest factor of public acceptance is self-acceptance. Wear what you're more comfortable in. If you're not sure, wear what will make you happier to wear. People respond well to happiness and poorly to unhappiness.

And be sure that you are wearing an outfit that is well put together and appropriate for the occasion. If in doubt on that last factor, don't be afraid to be a little overdressed; that's an area where we men tend to get a pass. I guess everyone likes to see nicely dressed people whatever the situation, unless it's really dirty work.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Which length is more acceptable to most people? I have no idea. I never took a survey. Frankly, I could care less.
Like Dave, I too have precisely no clue, nor do I particularly care all that much. I have what I like and do my best to make it look good.

This:
The biggest factor of public acceptance is self-acceptance.
is dead on the mark. Bullseye. If you aren't happy (or comfortable) with something, that discomfort will be transmitted and people will pick up on it -- and reflect it back at you. Consider this for a moment: We all get grumpy from time to time, and next time you are, see how many of the folks around you are also grumpy; flip the coin, and then try the same experiment when you're in a sunny mood -- it seems that the world is in one with you (or at least the general level of grumpiness seems attenuated somewhat.
And be sure that you are wearing an outfit that is well put together and appropriate for the occasion. If in doubt on that last factor, don't be afraid to be a little overdressed; that's an area where we men tend to get a pass. I guess everyone likes to see nicely dressed people whatever the situation, unless it's really dirty work.
I'll back that one up as well. Now, there's essentially no places I go that would "require" anything more than jeans, shoes, and a shirt, but that's not going to stop me from aiming high. For one, it's fun, and secondly, it's sometimes enjoyable to gently fiddle with onlookers' minds so long as it's not in a threatening way.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am sure there are no surveys around. I think you would have to use Dave's comparative point. Whatever it is you want to wear picture it on a women . Take into consideration the age and the build of the women.
What looks good on a 18 year old size 7 might not be proper for a 60 year old size 22. I know I sometimes stretch the point with my skirt lengths. But I can still picture older women with decent legs in shorter skirts.

At the same time that 18 year old would look out of place in a floor sweeper unless it was a formal gown.

Colors and patterns also would come into play. Again dress in the way a women would and I think you would blend in.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Ah! The shorter the skirt the less noticible amount of unbifurcated garment (within reason). After all, shorts are unbifurcated above the groin. :)
Some mini skirts or short shorts need a lens to discern whether they have inseam stiching or not.
Seriously, I agree with others here, that there is no simple answer. The permutations of variety of skirts and people's thinking are vast.

I personally feel more comfortable (talking psychologically here) in public in a mini than knee length, let alone ankle length and I am mid 60's.
I am comfortable because I understand and believe my rationale for wearing what I do and probably don't care if others get their head around it or not.

I think more people will get their head around something you feel comfortable in within yourself.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:I am sure there are no surveys around. I think you would have to use Dave's comparative point. Whatever it is you want to wear picture it on a women . Take into consideration the age and the build of the women.
Indeed, I doubt that such surveys exist, and even if they did I suspect that the results would vary wildly from one cultural area to another. For instance, even in a geographically small area such as the one I live in, the styles seen worn in cities are very different from the styles worn in the 'burbs and the ones seen in more rural areas are different still (the above going from more formal to more casual, although the 'burbs can be all over the place). So judge things based on where you are, and then either take it up or down a notch in formality.

On body type: Again that varies all over the place, so where possible use exemplars that approach your type (if any exist). If you're tall and leggy study what tall leggy women are wearing; if you're stocky, study what stockier woman are wearing. Also, do not discount how the clothes are being worn. This wiil, of necessity, be different for guys but can offer some ideas on what to build from.
What looks good on a 18 year old size 7 might not be proper for a 60 year old size 22. I know I sometimes stretch the point with my skirt lengths. But I can still picture older women with decent legs in shorter skirts.
Lots of this is also down to what "society" thinks "looks good" at a particular point in time ("Fashion"). Personally I don't give much credence to that so have worked to develop a personal style that quite deliberately ignores what's "in Fashion" at the moment (for it will go "out" soon). Of note, the nice stuff usually goes "out" quickly and the hideous stuff stays "in" for years at a stretch. Developing a style can alleviate some of that problem.

This:
At the same time that 18 year old would look out of place in a floor sweeper unless it was a formal gown.
is a direct result of using what's "in Fashion" at the moment and ignoring style. Style tends to be timeless and can work well no matter what the designers say we should be wearing (or, in this case, women should be wearing) at the moment. If possible, find exemplars who have mastered style; they're the ones who always look good and very seldom gaudy or forced.

I suspect a major problem that makes the younger set look silly in long looks is that they have no experience with them and tend to fight with their clothes; watch for this as it can help teach us lessons. Don't repeat the mistake; fighting with one's outfit makes one look like a prat faster than almost anything else.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

denimini wrote:...After all, shorts are unbifurcated above the groin...
(...stares into space for a moment...)

So, they're single-leghole until you get to the legs...

That's going to worry me all day.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

"Why are you wearing a skirt?"

"Oh, it's not a skirt. It's a long pair of shorts without the legs."

See what you've done?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Caultron wrote:"Why are you wearing a skirt?"

"Oh, it's not a skirt. It's a long pair of shorts without the legs."

See what you've done?
Works for me :)

Now where did I leave my inseam? Oh yea, at home with my trousers.

On a hot summer day, I guess you could say a skirt wearer has the coolest seat in town.
(Rim shot)

Mishawakakilt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Mishawakakilt wrote:On a hot summer day, I guess you could say a skirt wearer has the coolest seat in town.
(Rim shot)
Depends on where you are sitting. A metal park bench would not be cool,
by any means :twisted:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote:
Mishawakakilt wrote:On a hot summer day, I guess you could say a skirt wearer has the coolest seat in town. (Rim shot)
Depends on where you are sitting. A metal park bench would not be cool, by any means :twisted:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Try a hot Plastic, pleather or leather seat in your car. It ain't fun I know :doh:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't think that length is so much a factor in acceptance as much as say, certain materials such as chiffon, floral patterns, a skirt with a translucent overlayer, fancy hems. That sort of thing. Not sure that I could say any particular defining characteristic but there are just certain things that to me say that particular skirt could NOT be worn by a man. But hey, what the hell, there's always someone out there to prove me wrong and no doubt I'll see posts just doing that.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.