I wonder -

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

I wonder -

Post by Uncle Al »

- - when this 'toy' will be available to the general public.

Kitty Hawk Flyer

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I wonder -

Post by Kirbstone »

Well I won't be queuing up for one, anyway. I wouldn't personally have any use for such a thing and the cost is going to be out of my league.
In a way it's got to be in jet-ski territory...a damned nuisance to everyone except the user. Jet-skis rock everybody's boat and that thing I'll bet makes plenty of noise.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

We will just need a bigger swat.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bad news for border walls, eh?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

This was on the BBC news this morning. How are they going to impose some sort of control on them similar to cars and vans because these flying machines operate in 3 dimensions as to normal traffic's 2. Are there going to be defined vertical strata and are there going to be defined lanes. What happens when there is a collision and don't mention vehicle insurance. Seems like a potential nightmare to me and another fodder for the legal vultures.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Sinned wrote:This was on the BBC news this morning. How are they going to impose some sort of control on them similar to cars and vans because these flying machines operate in 3 dimensions as to normal traffic's 2. Are there going to be defined vertical strata and are there going to be defined lanes. What happens when there is a collision and don't mention vehicle insurance. Seems like a potential nightmare to me and another fodder for the legal vultures.
I think it is best to require people who drive/fly this flying car to have both driver's and pilot's licenses so they have the necessary training to operate the vehicle.
らき☆
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:This was on the BBC news this morning. How are they going to impose some sort of control on them similar to cars and vans because these flying machines operate in 3 dimensions as to normal traffic's 2. Are there going to be defined vertical strata and are there going to be defined lanes. What happens when there is a collision and don't mention vehicle insurance. Seems like a potential nightmare to me and another fodder for the legal vultures.
I think the Z dimension will be somewhat limited - if the batteries go flat it won't glide. Probably used over water for a soft crash.
Sort of efficient as a hovercraft without a skirt. Hmmm no skirt, what's it doing here then.:)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:Probably used over water for a soft crash.
Water is incompressible, and when hit hard enough it's akin to hitting concrete.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Relax. I'm sure they'll be self-flying so nothing can go wrong.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

No doubt there'll be a high casualty rate among the users, so that in itself should limit their use, but even with the frequency of 'single vehicle' fatalities in cars, there appears to be lots more of them born every day, alas.

Sort of makes a nonsense of Trump's wall.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think it;s the fear of being UNDER one when it fails. And as for nothing can go wrong - that worries me as well as nothing is failproof.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:I think it;s the fear of being UNDER one when it fails. And as for nothing can go wrong - that worries me as well as nothing is failproof.
I don't think it'll be the machines that fail so much as the weenies trying to fly them. In the hands of a conscientious user, I'd imagine the things being about as safe as most anything else "General Aviation"; couple it with driver-style bad behaviour, cell' 'phones, and cameras and one has recipe for disaster.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, whilst I agree with you on the multitude of self-inflicted things that can go wrong through carelessness, stupidity and/or the application of the Darwin principle the effect is the same and can give one an enormous headache, or worse, when someone/thing falls on one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

This is one of the nice things about the planet -- and, indeed, space itself: we are very small by comparison, so it takes a whole heap of bad luck to come your way all at once to cause anything dramatically amiss. That having been said, and having it pointed up that I have had the assorted crash-test dummy manage to intersect my course -- even with collision-avoidance being tried-- but I have never had the misfortune of having any debris from human (or otherwise) flight fall on me (unless you count one very close call from a wad of seagull-sh!t that I managed to avoid (inadvertently, mind) by putting the top on my convertible up just in time).

I think that for the rest of my lifetime, devices like that capable of causing more than mere lacerations and a headache are going to be few and far between due to price, and those who can afford them aren't likely to be flying where the plebes live anyway.