Hiking, Back Packing, walking, jogging, running

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Hiking, Back Packing, walking, jogging, running

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

How many of you like to hike, back pack, jog, run, or do sports while wearing a kilt or a skirt?

I am out in the wilderness about once a week while wearing a skirt. I like nature and wildlife photography and enjoy the current California bloom as a result of the drought breaking rain this year. I frequently hike in national and state parks, and nature preserves. I meet people on trails and of course gas stations, restaurants, convenience stores while wearing a skirt. I stopped to help a motorist parked along the side of the road with the emergency flashers on. I drove the person to a gas station where she bought a container and filled it with gasoline. We returned to her car and put the gas in it. She didn't realize that I was wearing a skirt until I asked whether she noticed. It was a denim skirt above the knees. I enjoy the freedom and comfort and have been wearing a skirt while driving and hiking for several years.

Please reply if you enjoy skirt hiking and what your experiences have been and any reactions from people, positive or negative.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hiking, Back Packing, walking, jogging, running

Post by Caultron »

Twice a week I hike distances of 4-12 miles and on the other days I take 2-mile walks. The hikes are all in utility kilts but the walks can be in skirts as well.

Reactions have always been neutral or positive. Occasionally women in particular will comment, "Nice kilt," or "I love your kilt." Men more often will say they've thought about wearing kilt and then ask about mine.

Never has anyone in my life commented, "Nice pants," or "I love your trousers."

The most remarkable experiences are meeting someone on the trail and then, after a year or more of not seeing them, have them come up and remark, "Hey, I remember you! You were on that so-and-so hike."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I used to make hikes in a nearby rough wooded area. The trails are made and maintained by volunteers from a mountain bikers group. I use the bike to get to the start, change behind the bushes into a skirt and start hiking. The skirts are from just above the knee to quite short. When a biker drives up, I wait at the edge of the track, we greet each other (most of the time I get a thank you for stepping aside) and I go on. A few times I had some conversation with bikers but no reaction to my skirts.
I make bike trips when the weather is nice along a local canal from Allentown to Easton, about 15 miles apart.
I do my shopping in a kilt. The groceries I do by car but for a visit to the pharmacy, liquor store (state run in PA) or a few items at the nearby Price Rite I walk the few miles so I have some exercise.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

My main form of exercise is walking. I measured different routes thru town. I have a 3,5 and a 7 mile route. I just got back from the five . i have 2 columbia running skirts that I wear for my walks
mikel

Post by mikel »

Wonderful topic! I hike/walk almost exclusively Spring, Summer and Fall here in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in a kilt or skirt. Comments like "That looks comfortable" or "Where can I get one of those" are frequent when fellow hikers strike up a conversation on some other topic. I believe it has opened up hikers curiosity in me that might not otherwise happen if I was wearing pants or shorts.
I also bike on abandoned rail trails that have been converted into bike trail throughout NH. Skirting does not work well for me biking as I find that the skirt flies up when I'm going at speed :( . A heavier weight kilt might work but I would not want the weight of wool on my thighs.
For newcomers into the world of skirts, it's a wonderful confidence builder as well as a venue to meet a supportive community of outdoors people.
Mike
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Flared knee-length denim skirts work well for cycling... Loose enough to allow you to pedal comfortably while seated, but, heavy enough that the front "apron" of the skirt winds up laying nicely between the legs on the saddle. Also, not long enough to get tangled in the chain.

Hiking in most skirts (or dresses) is no big deal, same with walking.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Have been walking/hiking in skirts for several years and they are much more comfortable and freer than any any walking trousers. For cooler conditions I have a below knee skirt with knee length socks which is fine down to just above freezing in calm air but Britain is especially windy and in anything in near gale conditions at low temperatures it is back to trousers to avoid hypothermia. In those rare days of summer it is an above knee Nosilife skirt. In my car I always have emergency supplies such as food and dry clothing which includes both trousers and skirt.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I don't do enough hiking, at least lately, but I do get around by bike and transit, and wear skirts for both when weather permits. Haven't had any issues doing so, and I find it much more comfortable.
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

I take my daily 2-mile walk in a skirt or kilted skirt. What I wear depends on the terrain. I wear at least knee length for protection from brambles and brush and tights for warmth and tick protection depending on the season. I'll go to calf length wool in the cold. I find a long wool skirt superior in every way to trousers in the cold weather.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I do small day hikes from time to time and I really enjoy it. I like to wear either a Macabi or one of my more stronger knee length skirts on these type of days. Wearing long skirts, or very frilly skirts seems to be a hiking no-no as trails can be very hard on delicate skirts.

The Macabi is among my favorite for hiking. Long enough to provide reasonable protection, quick to dry, and the slickness of the nylon fabric seems to make it easier to manager briars and brambles.

Below is a little something from my early skirting days... Summer 2015, dispersed camping in Mt Rogers Recreational area.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Orca

Post by Orca »

I do all my vacation walking, hiking, shopping, dining etc. in a skirt.

We don't have enough warm days in the Netherlands, so when I'm on vacation I choose a spot that's nice for skirting.

My only backpacking trip is a festival called "A camping flight to Lowlands Paradise" were the walk from the car parking area requires a backpack to be able to get all your stuff to the camping area..
Swim Well, Brother!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I am a nature and wildlife photographer and use a back pack for camera gear, supplies, emergency equipment, water, etc. I wear a skirt all day while I am out in the wilderness or when stopping for gas, food, or any other purpose. No one has noticed or mentioned my skirts. I like them to resemble shorts as much as possible.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:No one has noticed or mentioned my skirts. I like them to resemble shorts as much as possible.
I used to try to find skirts that looked like shorts but decided that if I was going to wear a skirt it should look like a skirt. :D I have several denim skirts hanging in my closet that seldom get worn as I have much nicer skirts to wear. :lol: I wear my skirts all of the time and it is beginning to get harder to remember when the last time I wore pants or shorts.
I am only wearing skirts because they are so comfortable and I like them, plus I don't worry about what others say about me and my skirts. I please only one person and I see him in the mornings when I look in the mirror. :hide: :rofl:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.