What's life like for you in your location?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What's life like for you in your location?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

FranTastic444 should you ever get to South Carolina and you are on I-20 hop off in Aiken and give me a hollar and we can meet up and I will be happy to show you a town where wearing a skirt is not a big deal and also has a lot of good eating places too. You can ask Moonshadow about that!! :lol:

My daughter has seen a man working in Wal-Mart recently wearing a kilt and he was happy that they allowed him to wear it. So even in the so called bible belt wearing a skirt is not a big deal anymore. :yellow:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ok, so I can be a bit prickly about some things. We all have a sense of humour here and the temperature here is in the high 70's, it's humid and I am melting here. We don't have air conditioning, just fans that mix the warm air about. The highest temperature in our conservatory was 115. And we have four dead cats in there, sprawled lengthwise on the ground. What I'm saying is that I'm a bit testy, so please make allowances as we aren't used to these temperatures here.

BTW just looking at the temperatures in Hurghada, where we are going next month on holiday, and the forward temperatures are the high 90's or even early 100's. The price we pay for having grandchildren still in school and the present tendency of fining parents for taking children out of school during term time. I won't be taking very many clothes - my sarongs, swim shorts, thongs for sunbathing, vests, cami's, T-shirts and not much else. One pair of jeans that I will be compelled to go in. I will try the sarong again for the way back but it may not wash with my family the second time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:Ok, so I can be a bit prickly about some things. We all have a sense of humour here and the temperature here is in the high 70's, it's humid and I am melting here. We don't have air conditioning, just fans that mix the warm air about. The highest temperature in our conservatory was 115. And we have four dead cats in there, sprawled lengthwise on the ground. What I'm saying is that I'm a bit testy, so please make allowances as we aren't used to these temperatures here.

BTW just looking at the temperatures in Hurghada, where we are going next month on holiday, and the forward temperatures are the high 90's or even early 100's. The price we pay for having grandchildren still in school and the present tendency of fining parents for taking children out of school during term time. I won't be taking very many clothes - my sarongs, swim shorts, thongs for sunbathing, vests, cami's, T-shirts and not much else. One pair of jeans that I will be compelled to go in. I will try the sarong again for the way back but it may not wash with my family the second time.
Well in my neck of the flat earth we are having temperatures in the upper 90's close to 100. With a heat index of 105 to 110 and thats in degrees F. The next week will be in the 100's with even higher humidity way way up there so heat indexes will be in th 110 to 120 degrees F. I am lucky I do have Air Conditioning but it comes with a steep cost in this heat, but I do what I can do as I would actually die from the heat with out it. When I was young I could stay out in the heat with out a care now I don't dare try that.
So Dennis the only thing I can recommend is stay hydrated and in the shade as much as possible. Don't over do it and try to wear the least amount of clothes that will not get you detained by the law... :lol:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you Fred for the advice, outside of work I only have on underwear, a minimal top, a skirt, generally short and slip on plastic shoes that cover only the front of the foot and has a webbed front. And that's it. In work it's the works top, trousers or shorts, underwear, socks and light shoes. Tomorrow I will be wearing shorts. Working out in the garden is impossible, far too hot.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We will undoubtedly remember Summer 2018 here as the hot weather arrived around the Solstice time, with very long evenings, bright mornings and roasting temps. by day.
Roasting in Ireland is anything over 25 C. For more than a week now it has topped 30 in the shade and driving home from work today at around 5 PM it didn't drop below 33.C. I have aircon at work and in my car, but not at home.

This evening we entertained guests to a meal and musical Sundowners....They are choir members and my male guest is impressive with an acoustic guitar. Bare arms & knees were in order, but in that company I wear shorts. Clear unpolluted sky revealed Venus, Jupiter & the pretty full moon in that order. Nice

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:This evening we entertained guests to a meal and musical Sundowners....They are choir members and my male guest is impressive with an acoustic guitar. Bare arms & knees were in order, but in that company I wear shorts. Clear unpolluted sky revealed Venus, Jupiter & the pretty full moon in that order. Nice
I am mildly envious. It's reasonable here at the moment at about 21C, but we're socked in and are expecting heavy rain tonight and tomorrow.

Every time I see a full moon I can't help but think of it as thumbing its nose at the Earth and the little inhabitants thereupon who once walked on that orb but who have since retreated to their little close-to-home sandbox nevermore to venture heavenwards.

Work had Corporate brass and external visitors today so it was male drab for me at the office. Boy did it feel good to get home and ditch the trousers for a skirt. Tomorrow, I may wear a pair of my palazzos instead of male drab it was so bad. Ties I can deal with because I buy my shirts in proper sizes -- it's the blasted pants. Foo!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I am off to my youngest son's shortly to watch the England/Belgium match and will be wearing an England shirt [0] and and white shorts with the St George's Cross on them. The shorts are because he doesn't want his children exposed to my skirts. I will be cycling as it is only about five minutes away. It is over 100 indoors now. At work we had fans blowing across the counters.

[0] An England shirt is a football shirt replica as opposed to an English shirt which is any short that is made in England. Subtle difference but important.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would agree with Fred regarding the heat. I have been retired for over ten years now.....These hot afternoons peak in temperature in the
most southerly part of the U K mainland at about 1600 hrs ...4 p.m.... at this time I am taking a siesta in the cool of my room.

I am usually active early in the morning and late in the evening. As I said in another post yesterday evening it was delightful to be out in a lightweight
Kilt Skirt at sunset last night...... I do find that my traditional summer skirts and a straw sun hat, known as a " Donkey' s Breakfast " are ideal for this
warm weather.

Will be out sailing again on the Helford River this evening ..... 6 miles of river to sail with a tidal range of about 5 metres... Current of up to 3 knots
and wind likely to be moderate or fresh .....might even be summer showers.

Will be garden watering and boat painting soon ....then drive across the down for a skirted breakfast in an air conditioned café in a supermarket.

The Met office constantly speaks of thunder storms but we do not even see any storm clouds....weeladdie
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Moon, You are in an ideal occupation for any resort area. Las Vegas is inexpensive and people with your technical knowledge should do well. Some of the suburbs such as Bolder or Henderson are a short commute to downtown. It is a metropolitan area so there are the usual amount of supermarkets, chain stores, restaurants, etc. It also depends on climate. Reno gets colder and of course Reno and Carson City are down the "hill" from Lake Tahoe that has all of that sort of stuff.

The greater Palm Springs area would be worth considering. Housing is reasonable, so is the cost of living. We used our furnace two nights this season, but air conditioning is life support. It will be in the middle hundred teens next week. That's good for A.C. guys.

I personally would not consider L.A., Orange County, San Fernando Valley, or San Diego. I avoid them at all costs. I commuted to Cal State Univ on the freeway, which took over an hour in the morning, and about half that in the afternoon when I got out of class and went to work, then home. One day I decided I was getting out no matter what it took or how much it would cost. Three months later I was gone and never looked back.

Part of your decision would be cost of living, housing, etc. and part of it would be life style. I am a "nature boy" and "happy wanderer", so I need to be where I have access to that sort of fun.

Palm Springs and Las Vegas are more casual in attitude and dressing styles. I spent today hiking in a skirt. I don't run in to many people as I am a wildlife photographer. California is an interesting state, but economically the balance is your choice for life style and access to what you like doing. I would not consider Arizona. Lower pay scales.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Seattle is expensive and getting more so. The population of the area has been growing, and the cost of housing has been going up.

The traffic sucks.

New comers have complained that it is hard to make friends, or to date, speaking of a "Seattle Freeze".

The area is a desirable place to live for if you like the outdoors. This is a part of the world where mountains meet the sea-the scenery is spectacular. Climate is moderate, though some people are bothered by the long overcast months of chill and drizzle.

Seattle offers a moderate level of urban amenities. Seattle is a middle tier city; comparable cities would probably include Denver, and Minneapolis.

There are jobs here, at least in some fields, such as IT.

I don't know about jobs in your field Moon, though with a growing population I imagine that there might be some demand.

You can occasionally see a man in an unbifurcated garment, usually a Utilikilt. :).

BTW, I believe that the COL might be somewhat less in the extremities of the area, such as Tacoma.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sounds like a pleasant place to live.......
Am I correct in saying the number of utilikilts worn in Seattle has decreased in recent years ? ....weeladdie
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

weeladdie18 wrote:Am I correct in saying the number of utilikilts worn in Seattle has decreased in recent years ? ....weeladdie
I don't know about Seattle, but I have noticed I haven't seen a man in a kilt, or any type of skirt (with the exception of trail days in Damascus) in a good while. There for a while I was seeing a man in a utilikilt at least twice a month.

Perhaps it was just a fad?

Even at this years trail days, while there were men in skirts and dresses, there didn't seem to be as many as before.

Perhaps that's a good thing. The fundamentalist in the area don't seem as arrogant and obnoxious when their world view isn't threatened and they see no evidence that the Earth might actually be a sphere, and thus, sleep well at night.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Moon Shadow, you might want to check out city-data.com. There are forums for a number of different places, and occasionally someone will post a thread to inquire about local conditions, such as cost of living.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote:Moon Shadow, you might want to check out city-data.com. There are forums for a number of different places, and occasionally someone will post a thread to inquire about local conditions, such as cost of living.
Thanks, though it should be noted, as this thread started over a year ago, that we're pretty well settled at the moment. However I must admit, we go to bed each night wondering if the following day will render the news that we are about to be homeless.

As of this Friday, will mark seven weeks since the Health Inspector first came and condemned our septic system. We still have no clue how much it will cost to repair, or if repair is even possible, with no sign of news of any sort on the horizon. This has got to be the absolute slowest process I've ever dealt with. I swear acts of congress (as in government legislation) have moved faster. And so we sit and wait.... and wait.... and wait... and wait.....

Somehow I suspect if we were more important, or well connected, this would have been dealt with in a week or two.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Grok wrote:Seattle is expensive and getting more so. The population of the area has been growing, and the cost of housing has been going up.

The traffic sucks.

New comers have complained that it is hard to make friends, or to date, speaking of a "Seattle Freeze".

The area is a desirable place to live for if you like the outdoors. This is a part of the world where mountains meet the sea-the scenery is spectacular. Climate is moderate, though some people are bothered by the long overcast months of chill and drizzle.

Seattle offers a moderate level of urban amenities. Seattle is a middle tier city; comparable cities would probably include Denver, and Minneapolis.

There are jobs here, at least in some fields, such as IT.

I don't know about jobs in your field Moon, though with a growing population I imagine that there might be some demand.

You can occasionally see a man in an unbifurcated garment, usually a Utilikilt. :).

BTW, I believe that the COL might be somewhat less in the extremities of the area, such as Tacoma.
Most of this is due to Amazon, which is soon to be the new "Boeing", employment-wise.

Tacoma is slightly cheaper, but not by much. You really have to get out of the Seattle area before prices drop considerably. So, Marysville northward, and Olympia southward. Some people have lived at Snoqualmie Pass or on the east side of the cascades, then commuted into Seattle. Usually, if I-90 was bad, they'd likely find a place to stay, then go back into work the next day.

With respect to the question about Utilikilts becoming less common, I'd say that, except for the company itself, they have always been somewhat rare. Less rare than a tartan kilt, but rare. They have become more expensive to buy new, plus, they can't be dried in the dryer, so that puts a damper on wearing them, especially during the winter months. I know I find it's much easier to don a regular denim (or other washable/dryable fabric) skirt for running errands, etc, since if it gets messy, throw it in the wash, then the dryer.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo