What's life like for you in your location?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What's life like for you in your location?

Post by partlyscot »

Hey moon, I assume fixing the septic is down to your landlady? And she can't, or won't, fix it? That is, it's too expensive for her budget? From the way you describe, there is the possibility of your local authorities deeming the place uninhabitable? It may be worth seeing if you can switch to composting toilets, at your landlady's expense. This may not be allowed by local codes, but might fly.

Switching back to the original topic, as freedom for all mentioned, I've been thinking about living out of a vehicle, probably not an RV, but a converted van. There is quite the sub culture growing around it, usually called "vandwelling"

If you start reading the various forums, be aware that it does attract a lot of starry eyed dreamers. I suspect a significant number who make the jump, end up in semi mobile wrecks, struggling to make ends meet, and some areas in California have given the whole thing a very bad rap. I was thinking in your case, dipping your toe in as a way to see some of the country, (on vacation) might be a way of seeing how it could work for you
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

partlyscot, Moon's landlady is HOH. They are buying, not renting, so the cost is theirs and with limited resources, having just bought, it's an expense they could do without, never mind afford. Without a technical solution they can't cost up the replacement.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Wow no one has mentioned San Francisco yet. As you may know from the mayor of San Francisco, it is the center of all innovation in the world. Wonderful things like twitter and hot dog identifier smartphone apps come from the entrepreneurial spirit that creates American jobs first for Americans. Except that Americans don’t want those jobs so the bulk of our technology is made by Indians and Chinese on work visas. Entry level innovation technology disruption engineers can expect a starting salary of around 50ish per hour which puts them officially in low income status.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/families-e ... -bay-area/

Houses near my work are about 900 to 1m and up. I could afford a little less than half that so my house comes with a 4 hour commute day.

Might be fun for a tourist, but the traffic and the bridges will drive you crazy.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I don't know the sanitation regs. in he US pertaining to rural one-off houses like Moon, Jenn & Amber's of course, but Rural Ireland is peppered with one-off house builds, nowhere near mains drains, so all of them have their own filtration/disposal system built in as part of the planning permission, as we have. There simply Must be several such systems available to domestic householders in the US which wouldn't require one to rob a bank or win the Lotto.

Life here? Hot & dry still, but now they're forecasting rain.....after more than two whole dry Summer months. Loudest noises around here are the barking of our own dogs and my old Bechstein when I get the musical bit between my teeth.

Kirbstone Towers has more than 4000 sq. feet plus large outbuildings &c, and all the neighbours are outside our 6.7 Hectare perimeter. Fortunately it's about 6000 miles from San Francisco, so million dollar prices don't apply.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm a frustrated engineer and when I see extremely clever evolved useful design I am fascinated,

I am converting part of the upstairs of our big barn into a bedsit accommodation for a returning daughter and to this end required a delivery of materials, timber, plasterboard, ply, rolls of insulation &c. Having presented a list to a local builders' supplier and explained about limited access under our overhanging trees on the drive, they turned up with two pre-packaged pods aboard a small little truck which had a built-in crane and stabilizers for ultra-speedy delivery.

The driver operated this system with marvelous accuracy and was gone again in minutes. I've been busy ever since.....

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:IKirbstone Towers has more than 4000 sq. feet plus large outbuildings &c, and all the neighbours are outside our 6.7 Hectare perimeter. Fortunately it's about 6000 miles from San Francisco, so million dollar prices don't apply.
I can still spot that abode from space thanks to some of the surrounding territory. Sooner or later I'd like to drop in carrying a supply of libations to say, "Hello". But not without proper warning, of course, as I don't exactly want to wind up as dog-food. :D
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

partlyscot wrote:Hey moon, I assume fixing the septic is down to your landlady? And she can't, or won't, fix it? That is, it's too expensive for her budget? From the way you describe, there is the possibility of your local authorities deeming the place uninhabitable? It may be worth seeing if you can switch to composting toilets, at your landlady's expense. This may not be allowed by local codes, but might fly.

Switching back to the original topic, as freedom for all mentioned, I've been thinking about living out of a vehicle, probably not an RV, but a converted van. There is quite the sub culture growing around it, usually called "vandwelling"

If you start reading the various forums, be aware that it does attract a lot of starry eyed dreamers. I suspect a significant number who make the jump, end up in semi mobile wrecks, struggling to make ends meet, and some areas in California have given the whole thing a very bad rap. I was thinking in your case, dipping your toe in as a way to see some of the country, (on vacation) might be a way of seeing how it could work for you
We have looked at that as well. There are many blogs with people living in converted school buses etc.