Terrible Winter

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Yuki

Terrible Winter

Post by Yuki »

This winter has really stunk. Here in Kentucky we hardly got any snow, which is super upsetting. I would love to head up north to play in the snow.

Has anyone been getting beautiful snow this year?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Terrible Winter

Post by moonshadow »

Yuki wrote:This winter has really stunk. Here in Kentucky we hardly got any snow, which is super upsetting. I would love to head up north to play in the snow.

Has anyone been getting beautiful snow this year?
Hush your mouth! :P

Yeah... I was like you once, loved to play in the snow, hot chocolate, sitting by the heater....

Then I started to pay the heating bills, fighting the snow into work, getting stuck, white knuckle rides home... WATCH.... EASY... don't slide off the road! :shock:

Yeah... it's beautiful.. but like everything else that's beautiful... generally it's a pain in the ass. :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Yuki wrote:Has anyone been getting beautiful snow this year?
Beautiful? Yes, it's pretty enough while it's falling and one is indoors, nice and warm, and without anywhere he needs to go; however, once any of those constraints are broken it can get pretty dire.

Here, the snow (a four-letter-word beginning with "s") is piled up so high the place looks like the movie-set for Stephen King's The Shining and I have a pile of snow at the foot of my driveway that seems as big as the ruddy Matterhorn (especially when I try to shovel snow so that it falls on the rear side of it because there's no place else to put it. The damned thing is glacier-blue in spots.

On the roads, it's pretty for about the first 15 minutes (or the first skid, or getting stuck behind some idiot that stops going uphill because they're fiddling with their 'phone or the TV in the dashboard) because after that the pretty white turns a dull dingy grey-brown and stays that way until it snows again (rinse, lather, repeat until May).
Moonshadow wrote:Then I started to pay the heating bills, fighting the snow into work, getting stuck, white knuckle rides home... WATCH.... EASY... don't slide off the road!
It's amazing how becoming an adult tends to spoil things, isn't it...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not a real flake has fallen here this Winter so far. Our last proper snow was in 2010 and then only 9 inches of it, so no drifting or burying of anything. Our severe winters come about every half-Century, the previous one being in 1963 when everything froze &c. I was a young blood of 21.

We have a rush of crocuses and early daffs, also already some greening of certain hedges. All these could get a fright in March, but by then it'll be very short-lived. About then, when the days are longer and afternoons warmer, we like to take off for a week to the Alps where this year they've had plenty of the white stuff. MOH & I do cross country nowadays, Langlauf or Shi-du-Fond, depending on where you are.

We'll be hitting Mirabelle, SE France, at 1600 Meters. Been there a couple of times before and it doesn't disappoint. So we tend to BUY our winters here !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Just a little snow for a little while a couple times here in northern Illinois. Haven't been able to get out on the cross-country skis yet. I'm really concerned about the climate trend.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I would love to see snow one day but I am sure the novelty would wear off quick, from reading these posts. I would hate the shovelling where the product of one's efforts disappears, not like sand that stays there as proof.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:I would hate the shovelling where the product of one's efforts disappears, not like sand that stays there as proof.
Worse is that Mother Nature is frequently dropping the stuff on the ground (and you) whilst you're in the process of moving it around. It feels like bailing a sinking boat where you toss water over the side only to see it flow back in again.

Thank goodness the stuff melts in the springtime, else we'd have mountains of the s..t (the other four-letter word beginning with the letter "s") everywhere. Big piles of it in parking-lots in major cities where they dump the stuff (euphemistically called "snow parks") can linger until well into the summer before melting and leaving a large pile of sand, gravel, and other detritus.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

OMG!

I didn't realize there were so many old people on this forum!

I have never heard of snow getting in the way of young people!
They build snow people, ride sleds, ski, throw snowballs, make
snow angels, and generally have the time of their lives; especially
if it means a day out of school!

No - snow doesn't get in the way of young people, they relish it.

Those who complain about snow are the old people.

Personally, I enjoy the snow! I guess that's why I continue to
live in Wisconsin and have not become a snow bird and fly South
for the winter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

PatJ wrote:I have never heard of snow getting in the way of young people!
They build snow people, ride sleds, ski, throw snowballs, make
snow angels, and generally have the time of their lives; especially
if it means a day out of school!
That all changes when one grows into adulthood with all the responsibilities that brings. If you don't have to hold down a job, don't mind being cold and wet, don't drive, don't have responsibilities, and have time for play then it can be fun. Flip any of those conditions and it becomes a drag real quick.
Personally, I enjoy the snow!
In a way, I suppose I'm a bit envious. If I sit down for a bit, I'll be willing to bet that'll pass, though.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

PatJ wrote:OMG!

Those who complain about snow are the old people.
Not all of them! There are a lot of people round here who make the most of it, though I'm finding it a bit of a chore at the moment to get around, large piles of unplowed stuff melting and blocking drains on street corners. Mountain ski resorts are having a grand old time this week.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I left Pennsylvania In 1960 to go into the Air Force. I decided that I no longer wanted to be in cold weather for over half of the year. :blue: I was 17 at the time. Now at 74 I don't even like the small amount of cold we get in my area of South Carolina. I do not like snow or ice storms as both are very disrupting to my life style of taking it easy. :lol: We do get them once in a while. :(
I live in the country far a way from the cities and the extra taxes. So far this year we have had more warm days (above 60 degrees F.) than cold ones. :D So if it snows I am usually snowed in as they don't plow the road I am on.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, MOH has a fridge magnet that says, "Tidying the house when kids are growin' is like shovelling snow when it's still snowin'"

Out here we've not really had a speck of snow. Some frosty mornings but nothing to lose seat over. York is in a valley and hence gets sheltered from the snowfall.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:MOH has a fridge magnet that says, "Tidying the house when kids are growin' is like shovelling snow when it's still snowin'"
I love it -- very apropos.

However, the bailing water from a sinking boat also has merit -- especially if you can bail faster than the water is coming in. If you can't, well, it's time to join Cap'n Eddie and the folks from Titanic. But, every bit you move is a bit you won't have to move later because of the way the stuff accumulates.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

The crazy thing is that even at my age of 67+,
I still enjoy getting out the snow blower and
clearing my sidewalk, driveway, the neighbor's
sidewalks and driveways.

Yes, it can be cold when I start, but in the end
I have worked up a good sweat and it is about
the only real exercise that I get in the winter
months.

As far as having to drive in snow - it is wonderful!
All the potholes get filled in with packed snow and
ice making the roads smoother and allows everyone
to drive faster than normal. (If you believe that one,
see me about some swamp land I have for sale in
Florida.) The truth is that I can drive through snow
quite well, but it is all those other drivers who don't
know what they are doing that scares me. One spun
out in front of me and rolled his car into the ditch.
He wasn't hurt - seat belts do save lives.

However, it almost game me a laundry problem of
sorts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Here in Portland, OR we had a foot of snow and the city virtually stopped functioning! One inch is enough to turn a Portlander catatonic; one foot and fogeddabowdit, or however that's spelled.

Anyway, it stuck around for a week and boy did it screw things up!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.