An Open Letter

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: An Open Letter

Post by Gordon »

Yes, a well earned thank you to all the moderators.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

crfriend wrote: ....So, there it is. "Rule 2" is now back in full force, and I feel the need to apologise to Stevie D who brought up some very good reasons to let things stand as they have for the past few months....
Thank you Carl, but no apology is needed. I understand why you finally had to act as you did.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Thanks, Stevie. That means a lot.

I wish everybody was so understanding.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, I think I understand how frustrating it must have been for you and the other moderators to just sit back and read some of what was written. I commend you for the experiment even if it was a bit of a failure. I appreciate the efforts you have put in to make this site successfully moderate with often touches of humour in many forms. I have enjoyed the few years I have been associated with it and like to think that I have made several virtual friends. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Than you, Dennis, I take that as very high praise indeed -- and would like to spread some of that joy to my compatriots on the moderation team.

Yes, the past few weeks have been a mixed bag of disgust, frustration, and rage. However, if one does not occasionally take risks by way of experiment one is guaranteed to fail; by giving something a go, even on a long-shot, one may occasionally succeed. So, I do not view this as a complete and utter failure; it can always be used as an example someplace later on! That said, I've spent most of my life frustrated, so at least that component is a well-understood condition.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I have very mixed feelings about this. This quote from someone I don't know got me thinking:
I want my friends to understand that "staying out of politics" or being "sick of politics" is privilege in action. Your privilege allows you to live a non-political existence. Your wealth, your race, your abilities or your gender allows you to live a life in which you will not be a target of bigotry, attacks, deportation, or genocide. You don't want to get political, you don't want to fight because your life and safety are not at stake.
It is hard and exhausting to bring up issues of oppression (aka "get political"). The fighting is tiring. I get it. Self-care is essential. But if you find politics annoying and you just want everyone to be nice, please know that people are literally fighting for their lives and safety. You might not see it, but that's what privilege does.
But there's a time and a place for everything, I suppose.

And if this is too political, I won't be offended if it is deleted.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Jim wrote:I have very mixed feelings about this. This quote from someone I don't know got me thinking:
I want my friends to understand that "staying out of politics" or being "sick of politics" is privilege in action. Your privilege allows you to live a non-political existence. Your wealth, your race, your abilities or your gender allows you to live a life in which you will not be a target of bigotry, attacks, deportation, or genocide. You don't want to get political, you don't want to fight because your life and safety are not at stake.
It is hard and exhausting to bring up issues of oppression (aka "get political"). The fighting is tiring. I get it. Self-care is essential. But if you find politics annoying and you just want everyone to be nice, please know that people are literally fighting for their lives and safety. You might not see it, but that's what privilege does.

And if this is too political, I won't be offended if it is deleted.
It's not the politics that's the problem. Not even the reasoned debates. It's when there is dogmatic entrenchment; when "I'm right, you're wrong" takes precedence over "help me understand your point of view"; and when said entrenchment devolves into vitriol.

Sadly, whilst I like to discuss topical issues, I don't enjoy some of the antics of the discussions. Thus, I think Carl has taken the correct course of action for the good of this community.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote:I have very mixed feelings about this. This quote from someone I don't know got me thinking:
Ahhhh... but that's part of the beauty of what we do here!

I myself am sick of politics and I like to stay out of them generally, that being said, let me repeat, I'm SICK of politics... I'M READY FOR ACTION... NO TALK!

All politicians do is talk talk talk talk talk... all political discussions are is a bunch of talk talk talk talk talk talk talk, then we recline in our arm chairs, pop a bag of pop corn and watch movies of people being killed or having sex.

Gentlemen, when you venture out in the clothing of your choice, you're saying something profound, you're saying something without saying a word.... you're saying that regardless of what goes on outside, regardless of who, or what is in power, regardless of culture, prejudice, bigotry, risk of physical harm, etc you will continue to wear what you want, you will continue to do so because you are free men, men who don't just talk a bunch of bull sh!t on the internet, rather you walk the walk... with a skirt on, and that's a message stronger than anything you'll read on facebook, reddit, etc.

Why do you think the powers that be are so threatened by this? Why do you think it has caused me such trouble at work? Because we represent change, self respect, freedom, non-conformity, and what's worse... we're spreading our ideas to others. We're making people question, think, ponder, and that my friends is VERY scary for those in charge!

This site exist as a resource for us to share our experiences, to build one another up, to encourage each other because the road isn't always paved in gold. Sometimes the road is dark, full of brambles and thistles. Sometimes we face trouble at home, at work, and in public. Sometimes we must look at the various religious and legal ramifications of what we do, and such discussion is permitted here in accordance with the rules I read...

It is no place to debate the debt, climate change, etc etc.

Friends, we're dangerous as hell, and they know it! Why do you think I rate lower than sex offenders at work? Why do people turn their children away when we enter the room? It's because we represent a new way of thinking, a way that doesn't stop at the skirt or dress, but a completely new paradigm of humanity.

Stay sharp, and fight on, and remember, you can't kill ideas, just ask any witch!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

"turn their children away when we enter the room ... "

Moon,

You need to find new rooms to enter. No one turns their kids away from me at church! Most folks come up to me to say, "Hi!" And appreciate my saying, "Hello!" to their kids.

Tonight, at Fred Meyers (one of my grocery and other merchandise stores), for the first time I noticed a guy pausing in his tracks to take a good luck at me (it was AFTER he had gone down the aisle I was in so he thought I couldn't see him). It was the same time and store where the cashier greeted me by telling me how nice I looked. There, I think people were getting irritated with me but only because I took all of my shopping to this cashier, who was in the apparel department and I created an unexpected delay by being too chatty with her.

We're not in epic battles of life and death for crying out loud; as you've said at least a thousand times, "It's just a piece of cloth!"
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:...as you've said at least a thousand times, "It's just a piece of cloth!"
I've also said a few times that not everyone lives in Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, better known as Portland Oregon.
We're not in epic battles of life and death for crying out loud;
Aren't we? People get killed all the time for expressing themselves.

I think you might have missed my point Dave, and perhaps my point doesn't matter as much out that way, but here, it matters. Someday I may settle up out there, but in the mean time I am stuck here at the moment and I have to make the most of my life here. Perhaps before I go, I can help make this corner of the world a little more tolerant.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.