Get Your Red Dress On!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Get Your Red Dress On!

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men go wildly astray.

Since my mother died at the beginning of the month and knowing how wedded she was to tradition, I have tried to wear black because it is the color for mourning. At some point you have to ask for how long? In the first place, I only have one black shirt in the menswear side of my closet, but except for the week I spent in SoCal helping my brother clear out Mom's apartment, I've mostly been in skirted outfits anyway.

At that I forgot myself one day and built my outfit are a navy blue, wool, mini; it's also been COLD here.

I got the perfect out today, it was women's heart health day. To spread that message the Heart Association encourages us all to wear red. Well I did my part, but at home because the roads were icy all day. Anyone venture forth today in appropriately colored clothes! If so, please share the experience.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Get Your Red Dress On!

Post by moonshadow »

I do hate to hear about your mother Dave.

Unfortunately I have not worn anything aside from my uniform and PJ's since last weekend. But I just wanted to chime in my condolences.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Belated condolences on your loss !

On the bright side of color FEBRUARY is the month of "RED" - "Valentines Days" !
Any type or hint of a shade of red is acceptable - go easy on that NEON PINK stuff though !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'm awful sorry to hear about you mom's passing, Dave. That's never easy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Dave my condolences on the passing of your mother. I have lost both of my parents so I understand where you are at in terms of dealing with it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I have lost both of my parents so I understand where you are at in terms of dealing with it.
As have I, but remember that the philosophical view of the matter is that it is the predetermined destiny of every child born, if he survives long enough into adulthood, to become an orphan. That sounds cold and harsh, but if one thinks about it, one can gain some level of solace from it.

One could say that the loss of one's parents is the final stage in truly becoming an adult -- because once that happens there is no safety-net any longer. You are well and truly on your own, and whilst one may have a close and caring inner-circle of friends, one will never again have the sort of love that only a parent can.

Yes, death sucks -- but it is inevitable, and that inevitability should be embraced rather than reviled so it returns to the natural state that it belongs in. Face it, it's going to happen to each and every one of us who chat with one another in the sterile world of "cyberspace".

And on that note, I'm going to head out to the rather unsterile world of meatspace and have a few cold ones with friends.

Chin up, Dave. It's going to suck for a bit, but you will pull through. We all do, one way or other.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

My condolences. I can relate because my mother passed away last September-about five months ago.

I have gotten over the initial shock.

I realize that I have aged to that stage of life when your parents' generation-parents, aunts, uncles-has started to go. It's a bleak thought.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Dave,

I've been where you're at now. My Dad passed in November of '84.
He was 81 & 1 month. My Mom passed in March of '07. She lacked
17 days of reaching her 100th. My Father-in-Law passed in '12.
He was 81. My Mother-in-Law passed in October '16. She was 84.

You'll come to a point when you think you're over the loss, then
BAM, something will come on the TV, or the Radio, and flood
your mind with memories. What If I ...........?

My Dad has been gone 34 years yet, I still think of him 2-3 times
a week. The older I got, the closer he & I became. He did love
being a Grandpa :D (So do I for that matter ;) )

We've all been there or will be there. It ain't easy by any means :!:

My condolences for your loss :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

many years ago at a family funeral my uncle told my father that theirs was the next generation that would be mourned for. So true as only my Father, Mother and one aunt survive and some of my generation have passed.

So it is my generation that will be mourned for next. Happy thoughts.....not!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Dad passed in 76, Mom in 07.

I remember them and their stories, and pass on some of the stories to friends and family.

Pouring out a wee draft o The MacAllan....."to absent friends..."
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

First and foremost, I am sorry to hear of your loss. Both of my parents have passed, so I can empathise.
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:I got the perfect out today, it was women's heart health day. To spread that message the Heart Association encourages us all to wear red. Well I did my part, but at home because the roads were icy all day. Anyone venture forth today in appropriately colored clothes! If so, please share the experience.
I am disappointed to note from the above excerpt that, yet again, gender bias enters the arena. Why not just "Heart Health Day"? I know that heart disease is one (of the few) area(s) where diagnosis in women lags behind men, but it should be about the research for all.

We, too, have a "day" where the British Heart Foundation encourages the wearing of red to promote its cause; but it's not limited to women!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

First off, my thanks to all of you for your condolences.

Just like some of you who posted responses, I am now an orphan, my father died at age '91 in 2000. Mom hit 101 in September. My biggest consolation is that they're both in a better place. My father was a journeyman electrician so quite used to being physically active, but diabetes took the lower quarter of his left leg so he couldn't get around on his own several years before he died. Up until about 12 months ago Mom could have told you which cousin had done exactly what and when. By the time she passed, she couldn't follow a simple conversation, had little to no energy and needed help to do the most basic things. But she hung on through Christmas and New Years and one more phone call from my estranged sister. She died peacefully while asleep in her own bed. It doesn't get any better than that.

What I'm trying to say is that, while I've done some serious crying, I don't feel all that sad or depressed because I feel blessed to have had as much time with her as I have had and my sorrow is counterbalanced by relief for my mother.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Dave, a good innings for both, and lives well lived. I'm saddened by your loss - but the memories will endure.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, as a centennial she's certainly had a full life!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:I am disappointed to note from the above excerpt that, yet again, gender bias enters the arena. Why not just "Heart Health Day"? I know that heart disease is one (of the few) area(s) where diagnosis in women lags behind men, but it should be about the research for all.
Although I share the view that separating healthy initiatives by gender or sex is somewhat silly, unless it's pertaining to a part exclusive to one sex or the other (i.e. ovaries, testicles, etc), I will say that in light of your question, as much as it's hard to believe, and maybe not pushed in the media as much, men do have their day too.

However, lest we forget that one sure fire way to help promote personal heart health is not to be bothered by little things like this. :P
-Andrea