Boys' Toys.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boys' Toys.

Post by Kilted Musician »

Big and Bashful wrote:Nice! Mine is still in pieces, waiting for dry weather to finish replacing chain, sprockets and exhaust.
Mine is in my garage, waiting for me to find time to hop on and ride. Not to brag but here in California, Winter motorcycle riding means you just have to wear a heavier jacket! :D

--Rick
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Boy's toys?

Here's one:

It's not mine, mind, but I did have a bit part of bringing it back to life. It lives in Seattle, WA.

Yes, I am wearing a skirt in the picture which was taken in 2013. Seeing that beastie in action brought a tear to my eye as I was certain I'd never see one with power applied in my lifetime. The design is one I fell in love with in the very early 1980s when the type was already five years obsolete.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:Boy's toys?

Here's one:

It's not mine, mind, but I did have a bit part of bringing it back to life. It lives in Seattle, WA.

Yes, I am wearing a skirt in the picture which was taken in 2013. Seeing that beastie in action brought a tear to my eye as I was certain I'd never see one with power applied in my lifetime. The design is one I fell in love with in the very early 1980s when the type was already five years obsolete.
Ah, the days when computers required men and forklifts to install! My first DEC machine was a MicroVAX but I did have the pleasure of decomissioning then cannibalising some VAX 11/750s. Are those punched tape readers on that PDP or very short mag tapes?
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

All those boy toys yet not one man in a skirt! (unless I missed something)

The VTOL has me salivating for one.
Daryl...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Automotive-related...

Nowhere near as new or nice as Tom's Bimmer...

A 35 year old Volvo 242 Turbo...

Interior shot:

Yes, that's one of the old R-Sport/Momo steering wheels. Typical cracked dash from many years of outdoor parking.

Exterior, right front corner:

Right rear corner:

Parked too close for any good driver's side shots.

Underhood:

2.1 liter inline-4 gas engine with a turbocharger and Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection.

Mostly stock. About 384,000 miles or so.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:Ah, the days when computers required men and forklifts to install! My first DEC machine was a MicroVAX but I did have the pleasure of decomissioning then cannibalising some VAX 11/750s. Are those punched tape readers on that PDP or very short mag tapes?
Indeed. The CPU by itself (much of it not visible in the photo) measures 9 feet x 3 feet x 6 feet (L x W x H) and weighs a good 1200 pounds. A single memory cabinet for it (some containing on 16 k words) wax 3x3x6 and could weigh 800 pounds (most cram the maximum memory space of 4 M words into that footprint now).

Those are short mag-tapes -- block-addressable devices called DECtape (which are a direct descendent of LINCtape, developed in 1961).
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

John,
Your Volvo is a beautifully maintained example of that rare genre, the two door. They're like hens' teeth here. I had thought that the white estate Volvo was yours, with the load platform that could land a 747!

Uncle Al,
A wide selection of jaw-droppers. I'm sure though, that you could happily spend the rest of your days seated at that neo-Baroque monster organ, giving it wellie.

Carl,
A patient who worked for the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough took me to the South Downs in the 70s to see a Satellite tracking facility & dish. It had large roomfuls of vertical cabinet computers with vast great reel-to-reels in front. Those were the days... But my eyes glaze over!

My latest boys' toy has already been pressed into service as sculling boat transport. We're off the the Blessington Lake as it's a calm morning.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's a nice shot of the Bimmer and scull -- and I see that your cherry is in full flower again. I'm slightly green with envy; at the moment here everything's white because we got several inches of sleet, freezing rain, and snow last night and continuing into today. Spring? Nope. Not yet.

On the two-door auto, I drove a coupe for years and loved the thing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:That's a nice shot of the Bimmer and scull -- and I see that your cherry is in full flower again. I'm slightly green with envy; at the moment here everything's white because we got several inches of sleet, freezing rain, and snow last night and continuing into today. Spring? Nope. Not yet.

On the two-door auto, I drove a coupe for years and loved the thing.
Don't worry, it's coming. It's here already so you can't be far behind.

My first computer job was maintaining a keypunch installation . No disk drives, just eight full size mag tape drives and four non-intelligent controllers handling 64 keypunch stations. Those tape drves all lined up looked like a set in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie.
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well it appears that spring has arrived over here. We've had the warmest day of the year so far last Thursday in the high teens new money. Even today I went out for a newspaper in just a short cotton skirt and sleeveless T-shirt both in black. The city is awash with gorgeous yellow daffodils and the trees are starting to blossom. Look on in envy Carl.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

At a medieval banquet set in Warwick Castle in 1471 on the eve of the Battle of Barnet my eldest boy, who then performed for 'Past Pleasures' in costume, mounted the table, goblet of mead in hand and urged all the males present to ride with the Duke of Lancaster into battle the following morning.....and he cast his gaze around the assembled diners and asked: 'Are there any YORKIES present?'

Well, among Denis's daffs & blossom trees there will no doubt be a lot of Yorkies, descendants of those of yore.

Tom
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Tom,

Thanks. The white wagon belongs to the family. I also have a blue 1985 wagon that is a long-term restoration project. Same model as the 2-door, just three years newer.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This is for Uncle Al.,

I've just been staying for a couple of nights with an old friend who lives S. of London in the rolling greenbelt. He is retired and composes music. Recently he has acquired two musical toys of the very expensive variety. One is a perfectly exquisite Clementi square piano built in the late 18th Century. His regular piano tuner who does his Bechstein wouldn't touch it, so he tunes it himself....very well !

Second is an extraordinary assemblage of keyboards , foot pedal board and seriously sophisticated computer which imparts to the organ a selection of famous European Cathedral Organ sounds, with touch-operated illustrations of the organ stops &c. in each. The thing makes truly amazing sound fidelity.

Tom
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Tom :D

A 3 manual, 32 note pedal board, organ - on a budget :D
Throw in some other sound fonts and you can have any Cathedral
organ you want - or - a Theatre Organ, with its 'bells-n-whistles' :D

I do hope you gave it a try, it is - I'm sure - quite versatile.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)