Boys' Toys.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Re: Boys' Toys.

Post by skirtedbrit »

Fantastic audio guys! Can't say I have anything as great but my set up is in daily use since 1977 (redundancy cheque) and consists of a Sony STR V5 tuner amp, Sony Carbocon speakers, a decent cd player and a Dual 714Q turntable.
Have recently got a hi-res Walkman and 'phones and would appreciate your thoughts on FLAC hi-res downloads. My type of music is mostly classical and prog. rock. My download speeds are 1 - 1.5 mbs so it takes an hour or so to download a symphony but it is worth it.
Have just discovered Vivaldis lute concerto in D major, the Largo is the best chill out piece!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Very nice motorcycle!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great wheels, Gordon. Musical too. I have a couple of friends here who own Harleys. While the trailer is useful, I dare say it would cramp your biking style & freedom. On this little island, on a Harley you could get from one end of it to the other in a few hours!

I too like to chill out to soft classical music, SkB, but I can't just name one particular tune over so many others. Perhaps the Mozart used in the film 'Out of Africa' would be a contender.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Surprisingly the trailer tows very well. I hardly can tell it's there. Have to keep it in mind on turns however.

I do love a wide range of music. As I get older it seems to be narrowing down to the more soothing varieties.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

...........like the purr of an East-West mounted V twin at less than 4000 revs 8)

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Today a heavy parcel arrived back from Cornwall, UK and it was my Thorens Grammophone spring-motor all replaced like new. I assembled the unit and to our joy it played beautifully. Good news.
The guy who repaired it billed me for only £45 including postage. Very reasonable.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Today a heavy parcel arrived back from Cornwall, UK and it was my Thorens Grammophone spring-motor all replaced like new. I assembled the unit and to our joy it played beautifully. Good news.
That's not "good news", that's "excellent news"!

Yes, 45 pounds is entirely reasonable for that sort of job. I'm glad you have the device operational again.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Now those are my kind of toys. I have ridden and operated 7.5" trains at various shows and peoples homes. It is great fun!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for posting. I love old steam engines.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

While I can't personally afford a miniature/replica steam locomotive, I always tell people that I have a lovely 12" to the foot 'train set' as I am a member of a railway preservation centre. I personally don't drive the steam locos, but I do get my hands on a couple of the diesels from time to time.
I'm not sure, but I may have spotted Milfmog a few years ago during one of our 'Photographer's Evenings.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great posts, Guys and you just can't go wrong with trains. Thanks Uncle Al for those two great links.

Speaking of Garden railroads, the obvious UK example in that at 'Beckenscot' in Berkshire. That's a truly delightful day out for adults and children alike and the gardens are superb.
On the subject of full-size old trains, here in Ireland we have quite the daftest example around. A Frenchman named Lartigue persuaded the (then British) authorities to finance a nine-mile raised monorail between Listowel and Ballybunnion in Co. Kerry. They have restored a short stretch of track and built a reproduction train, faithful in almost every detail to the original.
Loading the pasengers &c they had to more-or-less balance the weight of those to the left with those to the right of the track.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This post is aimed at Carl R.F. who rightly expressed shock & horror at the revlation in pics & looks that I had forsaken my Stuttgart Star(s) and bowed to the mullahs of Munich.
Merc 1 died of rust. Rear end had got to the stage here it wouldn't pass our National Car Test (NCT) and I had no option but to sell it for parts. Merc.2, same model, but prettier with alloys, sunroof, original air-con and auto box, no rust. I loved it, but it was costing me a fortune to keep on the road. Punitive annual road tax and fuel consumption. Every month some spare part or other needed replacing, so:
I cast around for a younger Merc. in blue with sunroof, towbar & autobox. None in Ireland for sale, but there were several equivalent Beemers, one with all the boxes ticked and the dealer offered me a decent trade-in for the Merc.
It's an M-sport Turbo D. with big alloys & watch-strap tyres....NOT run-flat. It has a proper spare, TG. Just been on my first long run. Topped up on return having traveled 550 miles, half of them M-way with the cruise set at 85......62 litres of Diesel, which is just under 14 Imp. Gallons....About 40 mpg. Merc gave 28mpg on dearer petrol and had a max. range of 400mi. if you were frugal! Beemer attracts just half the annual road tax, too.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Back to garden railwaying, this is one of my 'boy's toys'...

Built by Pearse Locomotives it's to a scale of 1:19 and runs on 'O' gauge (32mm) track representing narrow gauge of around 1'11.5". The prototype ran on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway up until 1935 when the railway closed.
It runs on gas with about 20 minutes running time from one filling of gas and water, and is radio controlled.
All my other locos are battery powered, and mostly radio controlled.

Pete
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Fantastic models!
I also enjoy the model railway scene. I model in 1:29 scale and American roads. My current is on my back porch and is in a space of 8ftx12ft. Yes it is a little tight but that is all of the room I had to build it. It consists of two complete loops and one passing siding also a storage display track. I do have some buildings located around it but no actual scenery. I originally wanted to do it in the garden but my knees and hips became arthritic and so I was not able to get on the ground to to it. I will have to take some pictures to show here.

I also like to chase trains (train spotting) and photographing them. I do this all while skirted.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.