Boys' Toys.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boys' Toys.

Post by Big and Bashful »

Don't have model railways, but I do have several train simulators, just getting to grips with extremely long U.S. train handling in the Mojave desert via Run8 V2, yes, I've come over all multi-player. Last night, wearing my favourite skirt, I had a damn good humping session, erm, in Barstow yard. (Well, what do you call a session using a hump to sort wagons?)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:Last night, wearing my favourite skirt, I had a damn good humping session, erm, in Barstow yard. (Well, what do you call a session using a hump to sort wagons?)
I must admit letting out a chuckle after reading that. Just recall that nowadays a lot of rolling stock has "DO NOT HUMP" stencilled on the sides in large white letters.

For the non-railroaders in the crowd, see Classification yard at Wikipedia and scroll down to "Hump Yards". Oh, how I adore double entendre.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:Last night, wearing my favourite skirt, I had a damn good humping session, erm, in Barstow yard. (Well, what do you call a session using a hump to sort wagons?)
I must admit letting out a chuckle after reading that. Just recall that nowadays a lot of rolling stock has "DO NOT HUMP" stencilled on the sides in large white letters.

For the non-railroaders in the crowd, see Classification yard at Wikipedia and scroll down to "Hump Yards". Oh, how I adore double entendre.
And it's quite amazing, (or maybe not) how often the NO HUMPING rule is flouted. I used to work in a rail yard where the new vehicles came in, one manufacturer's vehicles came through a sorting yard that almost never obeyed the rule, so damage was common. One time we had to clear out in front and behind, then use 4WD to separate the 2 trucks that got a little too friendly. I remember them using the "NO HUMPING" rule in Mornington Crescent once or twice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morningto ... %28game%29 If you haven't listened to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" before Carl, you might want to listen to a few episodes.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Access to Mornington Crescent via Oxford & Piccadilly Circuses has been cancelled until further notice. You'll have to go round by Chalk Farm, Holborne and Angel instead. :wink:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Holy moley guys, trains, cars, motorcycles, instruments, electronics...anybody would think this was a board just for men!

So, this is my permanent hobby toy in action. It might be musical someday but in the meantime I consider it art, with my palette being "pre-microprocessor electronics and recycled parts". The link I gave is the mercifully short video. Another painfully longer video shows a picture of the toy.

Luckily we got rid of our arc welder when moving from a house to an apartment once, otherwise the thing might have sounded the same but been a lot bigger and heavier.
Daryl...
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Here's one of my toys! The rest are a multitude of musical instruments... :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcrider/2 ... ed-public/

Feel free to check out my other pics. The album called Good Stuff is nice!

--Rick
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Interesting the toys that we play with in our recent youth !

My forte is with this beast:

http://www.261.com

This magnificent iron horse in passenger service made the Chicago Minneapolis/St.Paul 400 mile route in 6 hours operating at over 100 mph.
Later in its day as a freight locomotive hauled 85 cars at speeds well over 60 mph.
Speed was predicated as a condition of the roadbed and not equipment.

Currently planned excursion to Ireland !

Won't be on that one have NCL Cruise with family !

Name of my game is Planes Trains Automobiles and Cruise Ships

R. M. Anderson
Life Member Friends of the 261
1/100th owner of the locomotive
Resurrected and restored to service from the Green Bay RR Museum !
Everywhere we go it is a sell-out crowd
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

r.m.anderson wrote:Interesting the toys that we play with in our recent youth !

My forte is with this beast:

http://www.261.com
Looks like a great venue for a get-together.
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Daryl wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:Interesting the toys that we play with in our recent youth ! My forte is with this beast: http://www.261.com

I'll say I would love to be at the throttle of that engine. It would be a great place for as many as we could get together in skirts to ride it and enjoy the museum as well. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Daryl wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:Interesting the toys that we play with in our recent youth ! My forte is with this beast: http://www.261.com

I'll say I would love to be at the throttle of that engine. It would be a great place for as many as we could get together in skirts to ride it and enjoy the museum as well. :D
Indeed, but let's not fight over who gets to blow the whistle!

I'm already thinking about the outfit I'll wear.
Daryl...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Kilted Musician wrote:Here's one of my toys! The rest are a multitude of musical instruments... :)

--Rick
Hmmm, Very sort of early Moog type sounds, intriguing, the graphics work well with it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Kilted Musician wrote:Here's one of my toys! The rest are a multitude of musical instruments... :)

--Rick
Nice! Mine is still in pieces, waiting for dry weather to finish replacing chain, sprockets and exhaust.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Big and Bashful wrote: Hmmm, Very sort of early Moog type sounds, intriguing, the graphics work well with it.
Umm, replied to the wrong post maybe?

The sound generator is a late 70s chip meant for arcade games, and the newest technology in (or ever to go in) my toy, so not surprising it has an "early" Moog type of sound. I threw in the graphics just because Youtube...it's also kind of a personal homage to the classic Dr. Who opening theme.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:The sound generator is a late 70s chip meant for arcade games, and the newest technology in (or ever to go in) my toy, so not surprising it has an "early" Moog type of sound. I threw in the graphics just because Youtube...it's also kind of a personal homage to the classic Dr. Who opening theme.
I thought that piece sounded suspiciously 8-bit. Nice to hear the stuff still in use.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:The sound generator is a late 70s chip meant for arcade games, and the newest technology in (or ever to go in) my toy, so not surprising it has an "early" Moog type of sound. I threw in the graphics just because Youtube...it's also kind of a personal homage to the classic Dr. Who opening theme.
I thought that piece sounded suspiciously 8-bit. Nice to hear the stuff still in use.
The sequence was six notes in all. I rigged a light dependent resistor to extend and shorten the decay, then played it with my thumb. No more composition went into it than that, plus a little mixing in post. I have two more LDRs handy and I'm not afraid to use them!
Daryl...